Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvs2learn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 08:37 PM
    Figured it out now but.
    Hi all. New guy here.

I was replacing some receptacles in my home today and came across something new. The wiring was 14/3 but I thought nothing of it and just connected red and black to one side (hot) and neutral to the other. All seemed well. Went to reset the breakers (dual pole 15 amp) when I got a big flash inside the panel and no power was at the receptacles. It finally dawned on me and I removed the jumpers on all the plugs and all was well. Can someone explaing the theory as to why this happened?

Thanks
    bolen electric Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 10:45 PM

Half the plug is on a switch, half is hot all the time. There is a tiny metal tab between the two screws on the hot side that can be removed with needle nose. Then the red on one screw, black on the other after it's removed.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 07:23 AM

Sounds like a Multi circuit, a Red and Black on opposite phases sharing a neutral, turning on placed the red circuit on the black circuit, tripping the breaker.
    See if you can find 2 breakers that remove power from the red circuit and the black circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability figured in percentage [ 1 Answers ]

How do you figure out this question? Women make up 23% of the workforce. In a random sample of 392 employees, what is the probability that more than 108 are women. The probability that more than 108 are women is what percentage?

I figured the issue and I don't know what's next. [ 11 Answers ]

Dear helper or therapy, Me (22) and my girlfriend (19) been nearly 7 months together. We have gone through dating almost weekly while we both have jobs over the school and summer. It was all fine until then school started (college), she quit her job because she is going to have a lot of classes...

I think I've got it figured out. [ 130 Answers ]

I'm the one true god. Can you prove me wrong? Would you risk your soul doubting me? If you can't prove me wrong, I'll be setting up a paypal account so you can start sending me 10% of your income. Also to the person who is going to pray to me to win the lottery. I ran some tests and I found...

I Just Figured It Out! Right? [ 20 Answers ]

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relationships/she-wants-space-166149.html That was my story. I have been alone to think about it for days and days (I'm a high school math teacher, it's winter break), and I think I just figured something out. She loved me. I know this to be true. She went...

Kind of off topic, but I figured you guys were the best to ask. [ 3 Answers ]

It is my friends birthday tomorrow (girl). I want to get her something (not big) just a little "happy bday" gift. I have ZERO romantic interest in this girl, she is actually best friends with the girl I do like (awkward). I have known this girl for a LONG time, so its not our of the ordinary or...

View more questions Search