Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    11241978 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 06:35 PM
    Residential pressure tanks air pressure
    What should the bladder air pressure be set at in a residential pressure tank
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 06:54 PM

When you say residential, it makes me think city water supply. Are you on city water, or on a private well? On a well(pump) system, the bladder should be set at 2psi below cut in of pump pressure switch. Let us know more about your setup and we will try to help.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 04:57 AM

112, when you set the pressure in the tank, make sure you do it with the system off and all pressure drained off through a nearby faucet. MGD is exactly correct in that the pressure should be set to 2# below cut in pressure.
    suedavies Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2013, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    112, when you set the pressure in the tank, make sure you do it with the system off and all pressure drained off through a nearby faucet. MGD is exactly correct in that the pressure should be set to 2# below cutin pressure.
    What do you mean by make sure the system is off?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 30, 2013, 10:28 AM
    Power off to the pump, and all the pressure drained off the system. This is the only way to get an accurate reading of the pressure tank pre-charge. If you don't kill the pump and drain the system pressure, you will just read what the system pressure is, not what the pre-charge of the tank is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Balancing two bladder type water pressure tanks [ 11 Answers ]

Former owners installed two 85 gal pressure tanks. However, only one tank seems to be filling. The pressure switch is a 30-50 set at about 32-42. The tanks are new bladder type and are pressurized to 30 psi each. They are connect in series with the water line connecting to one end of the...

O.a. Smith, aqua air pressure tanks [ 0 Answers ]

I have an O. A. Smith Aqua Air Model V60 pressure tank that needs to be replaced. Is there a supplier in the Winnipeg Manitoba area where I can obtain a new tank? Is there a source elsewhere from which a tank can be ordered?

Daisy chain water pressure tanks [ 6 Answers ]

Do pressure tanks need to be identical in size when daisy chaining multiples together?

Water pressure tanks often have [ 3 Answers ]

Throats Arms Bladders Lungs

Well Service - Dual Pressure Tanks [ 18 Answers ]

Hi Guys! My wife and I recently moved into our first house, (yay) it's been a lot of work but getting there. The house has a well, jet pump and two pressure tanks. The one pressure tank is a fairly large (40gal) and pretty new. THe other one looks to be about 20 years old, and is pretty...

View more questions Search