Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    primerdimer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 06:20 PM
    Forgot to unhook garden hose this winter! Water leaking outside
    Help!

I did a really stupid thing. I forgot to take off the garden hose on the outside water faucet for the winter. I just noticed today that there is a wall of ice/water dripping off the garden hose- not too much though about the size of two icicles. The weather has been above freezing so on the advice of my brother I removed the garden hose and attached a protector.. the styrofoam cup that protects the faucet.

What I am wondering first is my water pipe going to burst? I had turned off the water from the inside during the fall so I am not sure why it is leaking this year except for the attached water hose during the winter. It is still leaking 60 drops/min. I put holes in the protector so it could drain. It is still going to get way below freezing for the next month. Should I get someone out here or will I be okay until it thaws?

Thanks so much!

Julie
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 06:38 PM
    Hi Julie...

Sounds like the vacuum breaker on the outside faucet has broken and to complicate things it sounds like the inside shutoff isn't shutting the water off completely.

If this describes your situation then you will definitely be smart to get a plumber out to replace the outside faucet and the inside shutoff.

Look at it this way...

You have no choice on the outside faucet... vacuum breakers can't usually be replaced. Further, since the shutoff inside has failed water will continue to drip and it will freeze and eventually freeze back up the pipe and finally burst the pipe INSIDE your home.. *OUCH*!

Get a plumber out ASAP!

And finally, disconnect those hoses every year... sounds like you actually got lucky this year as the pipe didn't freeze and burst to flood your place! :)

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Hose Leaking, removed hose pipe drips [ 5 Answers ]

Previously it was leaking at the top where shower hose goes onto the threads of the pipe at top, I wrapped the threads with teflon tape so that now that part is dry, no leaking, but the hose continues to leak at the bottom (hand held piece). I totally unscrewed the shower hose from the pipe and see...

HVAC unit on '99 LeSabre leaking water in winter. [ 1 Answers ]

I expect to see water on the garage floor after having my car out for a run during the summer. It is now very cold outside, and I have noticed lately that after having my car out for a run (with the heater on) there is water on the garage floor JUST LIKE IN THE SUMMERTIME. Has the HVAC unit lost...

Garden Hose Left Hooked Up Outside in Winter [ 1 Answers ]

As a first time homeowner(having bought our house in the summer) I was unaware the you're supposed to unscrew the garden hose from the outside faucet. My question is, what now? My basement is finished with wood panel ceilings and sheet rock/drywall walls and carpet. I haven't turned on the water...

Water pressure too high for garden hose? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know what the water pressure is at my house, but I do know that it is very high/ strong. We live near the water plant- I assume that has a lot to do with it? We've been through several garden hoses in the last couple years. We've bought regular hoses and the last one we bought was...

Water Hose Leaking [ 2 Answers ]

I had Stanley Steemer to come to my home to clean my carpet. I needed to hook up their machine to my water hose outside only to find out that when they turned on the water hose, water was leaking. Is this a sign that my pipes are busted?

View more questions Search