Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acseel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Older GE dryer squeaking & shrieking
    Hello all,

I have an older top loading GE Heavy Duty dryer. It's making God awful squeaking, very high pitched and terrible on the ears when being run. I've read over the previous posts on the subject.. how do I know if it's the belt or the bearing? There's no way I can afford a professional right now, especially right before Christmas so I'd like to do this myself if I can. Is there any clue as to it being the belt vs a bearing? Thanks so much,

A
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
    If I had to guess, I would say its most likley a bearing, they tend to squeak more than belts do.
    acseel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcocke
    If I had to guess, I would say its most likley a bearing, they tend to squeak more than belts do.
    Thanks for the answer, I will look up what I need to do to replace it. My ex's grandparents used to live in Pulaski, we spent a few nice vacations there!
    amandasb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 09:44 AM
    In an older model(thats what I have) on the back, maybe midways down, there is a opening,( make sure dryer is off for a while, it will burn you). Feel back there, there is a metal piece with a hole in it, take some oil, squirt it in there, turn dryer on, listen, and repeat until squeak is gone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gibson dryer squealing/squeaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gibson dryer that recently has started to squeak/squeal when it first starts drying a load of laundry. As the load gets dry the noise gradually gets less. Could this be a belt issue and is this an easy fix? Thanks for any info in advance:confused:

A/C Squeaking- Will oil do it? [ 1 Answers ]

My central A/C woke me up because it was sqeaking so loudly. I hit the side of the unit and it got better but started again. I turned it off and took the cover off. It is dusty in there. Can it be oiled so it will stop and I can sleep?

Frigidaire Dryer squeaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire dryer Model# FDE797IEWI. The dryer squeaks, mostly when starting and for the first few minutes while operating

Bathroom & Dryer Vents [ 1 Answers ]

I built a room next to a bathroom exterior wall where the bathroom and dryer vents terminated (on the exterior side). With the new adjacent room, the vents would have to be extended by 10 feet. My question is, can I connect the bathroom and dryer vents together and then extend one 4" vent pipe to...

Older Maytag dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older Maytag dryer that will start one out of three times. Sometimes, it will chug like a car that won't turn over. We really don't want to have to buy a new dryer, so if there is a cheaper alternative please help!

View more questions Search