Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellie12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 12:17 PM
    My brother passes away last year. I keep asking advice from him but I get nothing...
    I talk to my brother each night and ask his advice on something... like I did when he was alive. I want him to tell me what to do... like come to me in a dream or send me a sign but I get nothing. I have only ever felt him around me once but never since. I don't like the thought that he is not here.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 12:38 PM

We don't always feel their presence because they know (whether or not we like or want to accept it) that we need to be able to move past the grief and mourning. Sometimes, they stay around but try to keep their presence subtle so that we can learn to let go of the pain and heal. If you are listening for a shout, he may be barely whispering.

He is always with you. He always will be. He is a part of you. That will never change.

When you feel like you need his help, think about how he would have helped you while he was alive. Think about how you solved problems and dilemmas together. Let that help you figure out what you need or should do.
    kellie12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 10:02 AM
    I know that you are so right and I am really trying to get past the griefing process but I do not know what else to do. I have passed the point where I am not crying everyday and I can actually speak to people without getting upset.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 08:27 PM

It may not seem like it right now, but it sounds like you are healing.

It is an old cliché, but it is true-grieving takes time. I will be honest that even time probably won't take away all the grief. However, it will make it less painful to remember and share those memories. I don't know if you like writing or arts and crafts (or even gardening), but they are activities that can help focus the mind and busy the hands when you feel like your emotions are running away with you.
    eyecue Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Feb 21, 2010, 05:01 PM

One of the big things to remember is not to put him on a pedestal.
    899874xx Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 05:09 PM

Sorry for the lost of your brother. But you have to let him go even though its hard to loose someone!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 899874xx View Post
    sorry for the lost of your brother. but you have to let him go even though its hard to loose someone!

She DOESN'T have to let him go - there is no set pattern for grieving, for moving on, no right way to grieve or mourn. When it becomes excessive, then it's a problem.

To OP - Your brother's spirit will ALWAYS be with you. I agree that when there is a decision to be made you have to sit and think about what he would want you to do, what he would recommend.

I am a widow - people told me wonderful experiences about dreaming about, "seeing," "hearing," "being touched" by someone who is deceased, feeling their presence. I have never had that experience - it is different for everyone.

I am sorry for your loss and I wish you well.
    899874xx Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    She DOESN'T have to let him go - there is no set pattern for grieving, for moving on, no right way to grieve or mourn. When it becomes excessive, then it's a problem.

To OP - Your brother's spirit will ALWAYS be with you. I agree that when there is a decision to be made you have to sit and think about what he would want you to do, what he would recommend.

I am a widow - people told me wonderful experiences about dreaming about, "seeing," "hearing," "being touched" by someone who is deceased, feeling their presence. I have never had that experience - it is different for everyone.

I am sorry for your loss and I wish you well.
    Opps sorry then I don't give good advice as I thought I did
    But still sorry for the loss of your brother

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant 16 year old, need advice [ 13 Answers ]

My daughter got pregnant on her first time having sex with her boyfriend who is also 16 about to be 17 at the end of this month. She just turned 16 in Sept. What rights does she have as a minor? What rights do we have as parents? We are supporting her and taking care of her and the baby....

My 7 year old brother can't speak [ 8 Answers ]

I am fourteen and my brother is seven. Me and my sister are what people say "normal" because we don't have any learning difficulties and live a perfectly "normal" life. My brother on the other hand has autism and he still cannot speak. I have tried everything I can to help him learn but he just...

21 year old brother trouble [ 1 Answers ]

My brother is the top of his class and is now getting his bachelors degree on frday , he's the oldest so my mom has always gone out to dinner with him, and it makes me mad sometimes, but tonight he got a cool award and:( my mom is taking him out to celebrate and he's taking my older brother and...

My 30 Year old brother still lives with my MOM! [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I need all the help I can get. Hear it is: What can I do to help my mom out of her crazy situation? My mom allowed my brother to come and live with her two and a half years ago with his wife and their four children. They were going into hard times and told my mom that they needed to get...

Is my 18 year old brother gay? [ 5 Answers ]

Is my 18 year brother gay? I've never seen him with a girl,he seems very secretive,and he always listens to girly music.But he loves boxing. Oh yeah he also stays in the shower.

View more questions Search