Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 10:22 PM

Thank you for sharing that wonderful article. I'm going to copy it and email it to my sisters and brothers. Do you mind?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Thank you for sharing that wonderful article. I'm going to copy it and email it to my sisters and brothers. Do you mind?
    No not at all, I think something like this should be spread around as much as possible, thanks Kit. :)
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 10:36 PM

That was very special stringer , Thanks for sharing :)
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 10:44 PM

Stringer, I had a look earlier but actually couldn't get my words succinctly on to the page so I'll try again...

This is wonderful, an eye opener is always greeted well in my book.

It is easier than I would like to forget the wisdom that the older generation hold. I have an adopted Granny and Granddad, not legally but in love, and what they teach me by just being in my life is insurmountable. When Granddad died last year, it wasn't his death that saddened me, though it did wound me, it was looking at my Granny and seeing how lost she was.

They had been together over 60 years and the love that they felt was palpable miles away. Even after 9 kids of their own, countless grandkids and great grandkids. They are two of the most postitive and uplifting people that I have ever met.

Moreover, I have another small point to make. It is easy to see the wisdom and goodness in the ones we know and love. But in the course of my life I've had the opportunity to meet many older people through the job that I worked and where I worked and the amazing thing that I found is, they all have a more interesting story to tell than any you could read in a book. Now there was many who said 'You don't really have to listen, just look like it'. Sure that would be harder!

Stringer, thanks for bringing all these lovely memories back.

(p.s. if this seems to flounder a bit I'm sorry)
    Business Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by neverme View Post
    Stringer, I had a look earlier but actually couldn't get my words succinctly on to the page so I'll try again...

This is wonderful, an eye opener is always greeted well in my book.

It is easier than I would like to forget the wisdom that the older generation hold. I have an adopted Granny and Granddad, not legally but in love, and what they teach me by just being in my life is insurmountable. When Granddad died last year, it wasn't his death that saddened me, though it did wound me, it was looking at my Granny and seeing how lost she was.

They had been together over 60 years and the love that they felt was palpable miles away. Even after 9 kids of their own, countless grandkids and great grandkids. They are two of the most postitive and uplifting people that I have ever met.

Moreover, I have another small point to make. It is easy to see the wisdom and goodness in the ones we know and love. But in the course of my life I've had the opportunity to meet many older people through the job that I worked and where I worked and the amazing thing that I found is, they all have a more interesting story to tell than any you could read in a book. Now there was many who said 'You don't really have to listen, just look like it'. Sure that would be harder!

Stringer, thanks for bringing all these lovely memories back.

(p.s. if this seems to flounder a bit I'm sorry)
    Not at all Never, I appreciate your comments very much and your wisdom also.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 11:16 PM
    Made me cry:( remembering my Granny (years ago) who I always gave the utmost respect and listened, truly listened to every word she ever muttered. Some still haunt me to this day.

And now with my Mother in Law who is more than a chore, but I have always felt that she deserves all the respect I can possibly give her. I can see it in her eyes, that she is still the same person she has always been. (and a pain in the A$$):)

There is a great book out there called 'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen that also deals with this in a wonderful way. I really enjoyed the book.

Thank you for sharing:)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 03:59 AM

Some people may remember a class from a little hick school in Rabun Gap Georgia trying to collect enough stories from the local oldsters to put out a magazine. It kind of worked

Foxfire books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 05:27 AM

I'm sending this to my friends and family. I might even place one on the "Events" calender where my mother-in-law is. What a sweet lady she is. Altzshiemers is such a horrible disease. I still see shadows of the woman she was and we cherish her.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 09:49 AM

Thank you Stringer! That was a really interesting :)
    Business Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 09:50 AM

Hi Unky, you are welcome.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 12:11 AM
    Thanks Stringer, I have seen it before but it still moved me to read it again.

The lesson is of course (often forgotten because we are after all just human), that we mustn't judge or stereotype anyone at ANY age.

My mother is 85 and I love that there is a mischievous child hidden behind that 'ageing' exterior. We were in a lingerie shop recently and she got a fit of the giggles, I thought to myself, 'here we go, senility is finally catching up,' and asked her what was up.

She informed me that she'd just loudly farted as she was buying some undies and was highly amused that the sound of the cash register had masked the noise.

What can I say? She's always thought that farts are hilarious. Enjoy your parents while you can.
    Business Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 12:24 AM

Hi Gem,

I would love to meet your Mom, she sounds like my kind of people. :)

How true, Having your parents really is a blessing.

When I was very young things were financially tough and I remember at 5 years old I made my mother a promise that some day I would take care of her. Later I had that opportunity and I kept my promise, now I am so glad that I did.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 6, 2010, 01:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Comments on this post
    Unknown008 agrees : Your grandmother must have been a great woman!
    She was. I took a lot from knowing her. It's because of her I'm a packrat, and love cats as much as I do. She's also the reason I love the smell of old books.

She kept everything. There was a stack of neatly folded wrapping paper in the corner of one room taller than I was. She always swore she'd use it someday. Every time we went to visit her my brother and I would find some new hidden treasure in her house.

The best times were when one of the many cats she fed would have kittens inside. She fed all the neighborhood cats and let them in the house. When they would have kittens we would have about a month during which they would let us touch them. After that they would go feral, like their parents. I don't think there was ever less than a dozen cats around her house.

When I was about 9-10 she gave me a book. It was the only present I ever got that was actually from her. My grandpa did all of her shopping for her, since she very rarely left the house. One day when we were visiting she took a book off the shelf and gave it to me. It was 'the history of ohio' printed in 1904. I still have it.

Whenever I smell old books or moth balls, I think of her. And I smile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are you listening to at this very moment [ 8 Answers ]

What a Terrible Thing to Say-Four Letter Lie YouTube - Four Letter Lie- What A Terrible Thing To Say (with lyrics)

Puppy not listening. [ 1 Answers ]

So I have a morkie(maltses/yorkie) that just turned 8 months old... and the only problem I have with him is he doesn't listen to me.. I mean he does but only to a point.. if I say teddy come here he comes but if I got to pick him up he runs away... if I go to pick him up to put him in his cage its...

Listening to Barack [ 14 Answers ]

From Charleston, SC: Barack paying homage to John Kerry for being a near traitor. And then the best description of "change" is take Washington back from the lobbyists and having students sell their freedom for a $4,000 tuition tax credit? What the hell is that? This guy is an empty suit selling...

Show What I'm Listening To [ 1 Answers ]

On windows media player I once closed it improperly and a message showed up that said " Windows media player was closed improperly and third - party function is now disabled". Now when I go on msn live messenger and click on show what I'm listening to, it doesn't show my songs anymore. Can I do...

View more questions Search