Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    normrefct Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 05:29 AM
    Removing 41/4 x 41/4 Single Ceramic Shower Wall Tiles?
    Any advice is appreciated.

I don't want to replace all the tiles in my shower enclosure and thought just removing single pieces and replacing with accent colors would work out. Is there a sure-fire way to remove the 4x4 wall tiles and replace?

Also, I was thinking of tiling the small ceiling area with mixing colors. Is there anything I need to buy or use to insure a good adhesive bond?

Thank YOU!
    Norm
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 4, 2010, 08:35 AM

You can [B]try[B]to remove single tiles but there is no way to be sure not to chip an adjacent tile. I try to remove all the grout around the tile then crack the tile to then remove it.
    Also.. there are two main wall tile companies out there, each one is just an eighth of an inch different in size.. just an fyi
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 4, 2010, 08:45 AM

What is under the tile? How old is the tile? How much have you done this in the past?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 03:11 PM

I hae used thin set on ceiling of my shower. Tile needs to be set into adhesive with a slight twist or slide into position t cause a suction.

The size of tiles vary from different manurfactorers. Be sure new tile will fit in where old tile is removed.

If substrite is sheetrock, removing tile will damage s/r and make the replace almost impossible.

If substrite I concrete board, remove grout. Crack tile with small cold cheisel and peel out.

Be sure to wear safety glasses.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing tiles and grout from Bathroom wall [ 5 Answers ]

I have tile that is on the wall behind my bathroom sink. I would like to remove it and paint the wall. How do I get the old dried grout off the wall?

Removing shower pan to be replaced with ceramic tiles [ 6 Answers ]

I want to remove the shower pan to replace it with ceramic tiles but it doesn't come off easily because it tightly connected to the floor. I am not sure how it's been installed: with glue? Mortar? Else? And how to remove it? Any help is greatly appreciated. It's been there for over 20 years. Thank...

Shower Tiling with Lowe's cheap ceramic tiles [ 12 Answers ]

Lowe's here in the New Orleans area has a 49 cents/sq ft-- l7 1/4 CERAMIC tile that I would like to use on my backer-boarded shower walls. The backer board will be waterproofed and now I have to tile it! :confused: :confused: :confused: I have never done this before and have been told way too...

Removing tiles on bathroom wall [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed the other day that the tile on my bathroom wall is falling apart. It looks like that its on a plasterboard. Does anyone have any suggestions?

View more questions Search