Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heather777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 08:30 PM
    Where to buy roof vent for washing machine
    Presently, my 2" PCV pipe from my washing machine ends in the attic. I would like to extend the PCV to the roof, and want to be able to purchase a roof vent that would prevent bires and rodents from entering.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 08:43 PM

You are right in your thinking that the vent should terminate on the outside of the roof, not inside, its code. Most vents terminate with just a staright section of PVC expose to air with no cap or screen. Screens get added when folks have trees dropping junk or other debris, your call but not necessary
    Willbill44 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 08:50 PM

The white pvc pipe in the attic is a vent pipe. A vent system is a code requirement for all drains. They most often serve more than one drop (drain.) It should go through roof using a plummer's pipe vent often called a boot. They are sold at every home improvement store in the roofing materials section. They should be installed on the roof slope with upper shingles overlaping the upper edge of the flat part of the boot. Sending it through the roof will not improve the drainage but will get the potential odors and gases that could be in the drain system. Rarely are they topped with any kind of cover to prevent entry. However, simple screen wire would work if you expect to have problems and not interfere with the air passage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent pipe for washing machine [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to determine if there is a vent pipe for a washing machine install on our second floor. We have expereinced a major leak on the floor and the ceiling below when the washing machine is draining. I am wondering if there is a vent pipe, which would be behind a wall, and if there could be...

How to vent drain line from the washing machine? [ 2 Answers ]

We are on septic, and have been having foul odor from washing room. We took the wall down to find that the vent pipe is not vented through the roof, and does not have a cap. Help what should we do?

Washing machine drains through roof [ 8 Answers ]

I know it sounds crazy but I recently noticed that when my washing machine drains, water comes pouring off my roof! The house was built in 1954 and there is a small pipe that sticks out of the roof just above where the washer is. I am sure that this hasn't been happening for the entire year I've...

Washing Machine Drain and Vent [ 1 Answers ]

Moving a washing machine to another room where a bathroom sink is on the wall behind where the washer is going. Wondering if I can tie into that existing drain and vent with out any issues? Or will I need to run new vent and drain line. The existing lines are 1.5 inch galv. Pipe. Thanks in advance...

View more questions Search