Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Rose Wine
    Ok, I'm a wine whimp, I know. The only kind I like is mellow stuff like Rosé. My dad calls it fruit juice :p

Knowing this, what kind of wine might you suggest I try?
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 22, 2006, 06:03 AM
    Jacob's Creek Shiraz, Kenwood Vineyards Red are my two favorites; they taste great, are meal versatile and inexpensive. A good port wine is nice, too.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 22, 2006, 06:05 AM
    When I am having a little party I like my Sangria, fruit added... Just for a fun fruity wine.

I know Ben'll probably wince at that one LOL!!

Nov 22, 2006, 06:07 AM
    J_9, that sounds pretty nice!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 22, 2006, 06:09 AM
    It's just kind of fun to have a punch bow full during the holidays.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2006, 06:21 AM
    With reds stick with the low tannin stuff like Merlot, Beaujolais, Pinot Noir. With whites it depends how much on acidity versus buttery taste that you personally like. In whites I like Pouilly-Fussé (made with Chardonnay) or a pinot grigio (Italian) which is slightly more acidic.

I guess Curly isn't around today. :)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 22, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Hey what's this talking about wine with out me.
    That'll teach me to working rather than spending time here ;)

OK so I'm going to weigh in here, in some sort of order;
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentra
    Jacob's Creek Shiraz, Kenwood Vineyards Red are my two favorites; they taste great, are meal versatile and inexpensive. A good port wine is nice, too.
    Excellent wines, but miles too heavy for what Rick's looking for.
    Best suited for big flavoured meals or some dead cow ;)

Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    When I am having a little party I like my Sangria, fruit added.... Just for a fun fruity wine.

I know Ben'll probably wince at that one LOL!!!!
    YUKKKKKK *Runs and hides*

Quote Originally Posted by Needkarma
    With reds stick with the low tannin stuff like Merlot, Beaujolais, Pinot Noir. With whites it depends how much on acidity versus buttery taste that you personally like. In whites I like Pouilly-Fussé (made with Chardonnay) or a pinot grigio (Italian) which is slightly more acidic
    Some good ideas here, just to expand a little.
    Merlots can be quite high in tannin especially when young and are really well suited to a wide range of food.
    Beaujolais (Gamay) would be an excellent choice as they are quite light in style and can even be cooled before drinking.
    Pinot Noir, can be a really mixed bag, some are outstanding and some should be left out standing in the field. Best avoided for the novice, but worth further investigation especially South American ones, like Chili.
    Pouilly-Fuisse, definitely a serious step for the novice mainly due to the price, French wines in the US can be expensive and give poor return.
    Saying that tho' there is a wide range of differing styles of Chardonnay from light and fruit to so oaky that you feel like you are spitting bark. Well worth investigation to see what style suits best.
    Pinot grigio, Hmmm, is a bit like making love in a boat. If you need this explaining PM me ;)

So back to Rick's OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wine Whimp
    I'm a wine whimp, I know. The only kind I like is mellow stuff like Rosé.
    There is an amzing variety of Pinks available from the washed out to the serious mouth filling styles.
    A good place to start if you want to move on to reds, but haven't plucked up the courage to try yet.
    Some pink's of note are made from Zinfandal, but not that aweful Blush stuff.
    Cabernet Sauvignon, as well as producing some of the world's best wines, lends itself to outstanding pinks.
    Bonny Doon makes some excellent pinks, maybe a little hard to fine, but well worth it. Your mouth will love you for ever ;)

NK suggestion of Gamay is great, go looking.
    Also I think the fruiter styles may be better suited for you so things like Gewurztraminer and Semilon/Chardonnay's, both whtes, dry(er) in style but bags of fruit, are a good start.

That should give you a few things to think about.
    Let us know how you get on.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:20 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

We've got some huge wine shops around here... I'll print this off and go check what's available in my area.

Riuniti is getting old - and the guests laugh at me :p
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:23 AM
    U can also mix white wine with sprite / lemonade and red wine with coke (I mean coka cola) ;)
    BossMan

Nov 23, 2006, 06:24 AM
    *** Heathen Alert ***
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    *** Heathen Alert ***
    Is that addressed to me?
    If so... what does it mean?
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    *** Heathen Alert ***
    Giggle ben can you imagine someone saying that at an oddbins wine tasting tee hee
    BossMan

Nov 23, 2006, 06:28 AM
    'Fraid so Krs.
    I'm using this meaning of the word:
    Heathen; 4. irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized.

Mainly uncivilized

Hey come on I am a bit of a wine snob ;)

Wine should never be mixed with anything apart from good friends and good food, oh and of course MORE wine.
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Have u ever tried it?? Before calling me a pikey :p
    BossMan

Nov 23, 2006, 06:32 AM
    PIKEY ROFLMAO I like it ;)

Yes I have and it's a waste of good wine.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    Have u ever tried it??? Before calling me a pikey :p
    I think I just wet myself laughing pikey indeed, Ben's problem is he used to teach wine appreciation and that kind of thing in his book is sacrilege ;)
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:35 AM
    A pikey I'm not. Im actually from a very posh /snobbish area in Malta, like u ;) :p

I learnt that word obviously when in England LOL...

Well, yes you are absolutely right, but on your poor days, when you can only buy a GBP2 bottle of wine, add coke or sprite lol :D

Nov 23, 2006, 06:37 AM
    I say we settle this over a bottle of Boone's Farm.

*hides*
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:44 AM
    I, for one, welcome our wine expert overlord. I think I understand where Ben is coming from. People don't seem to understand why I don't share their excitement for their new batch of homemade wine. Alas I believe I have become somewhat of a wine snob - damn you dad for having nice wine in our house!! Some say it's the French Canadian joie-de-vivre and it's innate in us. Having said that I've been to a few very large wine-tasting expos and I can assure you that you can indeed taste too much wine in a four hour period; after that the Sprite starts tasting good. :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Hey all don't get me wrong... jesus should have kept my mouth shut. LOL.

I love wine, expensive wine, who doesn't ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rose bushes [ 2 Answers ]

We have an older yellow rose bush-this past summer it did not bloom but went totally out of control, even cutting back only compounded the rapid growth. We finally dug it up yesterday, the roots were actually starting to grow under siding a foot or so from the bush itself. We loved the flowers...

Paul's Scarlet Rose [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a US source for this plant?:)

Desert Rose [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Desert Rose that I kept inside all winter. It has some little bugs-aphids-I think. What can I do to get rid of them. I know the plant does not like its leaves to be wet. Also, what is the best food for this plant and how often? Thanks, Sue

Rose bush [ 3 Answers ]

Any suggestions on how and where I should plant my rose bush? I was going to take out a current bush and replace it with that in the front where there is usually lots of sun. I bought it before it started blooming and I haven't had a chance to plant it yet. Also I found info on the web about...

Dessert rose in need of your help [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dessert rose tree which is about 10 years old. For the last 5 it flourished beyond my imagination. This year it is acting like it is dying. The leaves are falling off and the limbs are very puny looking at the ends. I'm in Florida, and have given it plant food-- same kind for many years....

View more questions Search