Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Krs, I do serve wine spritzers... to my wife and her friends. Hehe.

Note to Ben: forgot to mention that I indeed did get that "love in a canoe" comment ;) (... close to water). But I like the pinot grigio acid 'bite' and it's a good sipper, goes well with finger foods.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2006, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Krs, I do serve wine spritzers ... to my wife and her friends. Hehe.
    Cheeky...

Meaning you enjoy the pinot grigio all to yourself ;)
    Must admit it love that wine too
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 23, 2006, 06:58 AM
    It's awesome to have a wine connossieur here on the boards. *Waves large foam finger* Number one!
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Nov 23, 2006, 12:00 PM
    I love wine period... and some others liqueur... my favorite bottle of ROSE' is Goats do Roam... love a Zinfandel Rose'... had a Francis Coppola Claret in 2005... was just fine... Irish crème in my coffee with cake or cookie bar and almond liqueur with sweet and sour mix and cherry and cherry syrup... on ice... in the summer... Jack Daniels come to visit when, I have a fever and a flu... he is so helpful...

Nov 24, 2006, 07:07 AM
    This is the only place on the internet that makes me hungry. Lol.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LUNAGODDESS
    I love wine period...and some others liqueur ...my favorite bottle of ROSE' is Goats do Roam ...love a Zinfandel Rose'.... had a Francis Coppola Claret in 2005...was just fine...Irish creme in my coffee with cake or cookie bar and almond liqueur with sweet and sour mix and cherry and cherry syrup...on ice .... in the summer...Jack Daniels come to visit when, I have a fever and a flu...he is so helpful....
    Jack daniels comes to visit me almost every weekend.. OH HE'S GOOD :D
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Nov 26, 2006, 06:51 PM
    You know what... I have not had a concord in sometime... I use to like that purple grape... doing the holidays... Looking for some suggestions on concords... or is that too much kool-aid... for the most of you?
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Ok, I'm a wine whimp, I know. The only kind I like is mellow stuff like Rosé. My dad calls it fruit juice :p

Knowing this, what kind of wine might you suggest I try?
    '

I think you'd really like Beau Noir, it's a mellow, red table wine, soft and velvety, and it goes with everything, Quick class:

Sangaria (the good kind) is a preminum red wine blended with fruits; **** Apline burgandy- slightly carbonated semi sweet, good for BBQ and picnics, Carbernet Sauvigon- Dry red wine great smelll good for cheeses and red meat dishes******
    Burgundy----dry, robust, sturdy and rich flacor good with steask, roasts and wild game*****
    Merlot- Great fruit flavor---mellow taste great for pastas. Check with your wine seller he can match you up for similars in your area.:cool: enjoy

Dec 8, 2006, 09:10 PM
    I thought about this thread at the store today, didn't pick anything up but had a few ideas for the upcoming holiday:)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa

Sangaria (the good kind) is a preminum red wine blended with fruits
    my cousin spent a few years in spain in the service. He's pined for sangria ever since. Last summer I made a batch fresh using a recipe id found. He liked the effort, but I don't think it ever matched the flavor of a fresh spanish sangria taken in at a café in barcelona and the beautiful brunettes. Guess it wasn't the same served in the cold midwest by his hairy cousin. =)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 10:08 PM
    first, seek out a wine store and talk to someone. They can suggest good stuff to try as you are developing your taste. The wine they suggested in the beginning was great, but a little while in would bore me... time for something new.

I find merlot to be hit and miss, even though they are talked about as being more drinkable for beginners. Lots of dogs out there. Poured more merlot down the sink than cabs. A nice cab isn't too hard to find... I got a ton of château st michelle... bought 6 years ago for about 8.00... its no great wine, but its still a good way to spend the night.

seriously, as far as reds go, my tastes are probably not going to match yours right now. You can buy a chianti, a common table red, and see it its drinkable...

see if you can find St Francis "red", it's a Sangiovese /Zin blend that is affordable and you might like.

some of the challenge when you're drinking wine and don't favor it, is just to drink it a little to get used to it... then you'll start to discover what you like and don't... soon enough you'll be hooked. I went through some bad bottles when I started to find some things I enjoyed.

Pinot Noir is a nice light wine to try, a cab or cab-syrah blend might be pleasing to you... or just a syrah.

here... I'm never good being brief, but if you're not going to a wine store (do it) start with a chianti, syrah, or pinot noir. See if you can find some that you like. Then move on to other interesting things in time. I never buy chianti now, ill find a syrah now and then to keep around and I still like a nice pinot noir.

when in doubt, get to a wine store or a wine tasting. I have found the service to be comforting and informative when looking for a new wine. Really... when I was starting this was the best thing for me... I had fewer "dogs" and more trips back to buy out the bottles of what I liked.

I'm assuming you're struggling most with reds but...

my favorite white is a graves (said as grahves)... it's a lovely little blend of sav blanc and semillon. There was also a graves red I tried... thought it would be liked by the red wine hater, but it was too boring for me. Found it though a wine club.

many cheaper chardonnays are either too sweet or to oakey for me. Meridian is a chardonnay that runs about $9 as I've found it to be drinkable by a large crowd... not a great one, but fine enough.

then of course my dirty little secret is korbel brut. Yes, champagne. At sams club for $8 and change, when given a choice between drinking some $12 chardonnay out of the grocery store or a bottle of korbel, it's a no-brainer.

I know, I know... its champagne. There's a stigma perhaps. Well, I don't care. Korbel isn't great champagne, but it beats the pants off any $9 white you can find. Its not as sweet as most champagnes people have had at parties/weddings. Its nice enough. My christmas gift to me this year will be arranged childcare, a hotel room with my wife, and two bottles of korbel brut. I'm smiling already.

say what you want... a lovely woman and a bottle of decent champagne is about as good as it gets... though a sultry red would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentra
    It's awesome to have a wine connossieur here on the boards. *Waves large foam finger* Number one!!
    wow. A beautiful woman who loves boones and has a foam finger. And I thought I had the perfect marriage. =)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 05:28 AM
    I've got my list and am heading to the Wine Shop today.

I'm curious, Curly: What is your personal favorite?
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2006, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben

Wine should never be mixed with anything apart from good friends and good food, oh and of course MORE wine.

I agree Curlyben... but I do enjoy some of my reds with a bit of chocolate... oh and I love wine and cheese.

I am a huge fan of Italian Wines
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 14, 2006, 05:36 AM
    Bear in mind what I have tried in my career.
    I love mature First Growth Claret, big Ozzie reds, top Burgundy and Delux Cuvee Champagne, basically the expensive stuff.
    I'm also partial to Good Single Malt Whisky (note the correct spelling ;)) and Real Ale, not the fizzy muck that passes for beer in some establishments.
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2006, 05:38 AM
    Magic Hat No. 9 made in Ithaca New York is a really nice brew.
    winetraveler Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
    moscato (piedmont region, italy)
    Riesling (I prefer alsace region of France), but if you like Rose you may like the German counterpart
    Torrontes from the Cafayate Valley in Argentina is very interesting.
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Rieslings from the fingerlakes region of New York State are very popular as well.
    Check out this month's Wine Spectator for more info on NY state Fingerlakes region wines
    winetraveler Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 10:00 AM
    AGREED! Love them!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 24, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by winetraveler
    moscato (piedmont region, italy)
    Riesling (I prefer alsace region of France), but if you like Rose you may like the German counterpart
    Torrontes from the Cafayate Valley in Argentina is very interesting.
    Interesting choices there.
    Moscato I find is best well chilled on a hot summers day as it is on the sweet side.
    German Riesling can be excellent, but there is so much rubbish about I would be very careful on selection. Alsace and Washington State styles tend to be a lot drier and excellent with food, especially oily fish.
    The best example of Torrontes I have ever had was from Chile from Central Valley.
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Funny Curly I find Rieslings from Washington State a bit to sweet for my taste. German Rieslings (you are right it has to be good ones) to me are drier and much nicer. But I still have to say that the best Rieslings I have ever had have come from the fingerlakes region. Seyvals are also very nice whites chilled on a summer day... I call them boat wines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rose bushes [ 2 Answers ]

We have an older yellow rose bush-this past summer it did not bloom but went totally out of control, even cutting back only compounded the rapid growth. We finally dug it up yesterday, the roots were actually starting to grow under siding a foot or so from the bush itself. We loved the flowers...

Paul's Scarlet Rose [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a US source for this plant?:)

Desert Rose [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Desert Rose that I kept inside all winter. It has some little bugs-aphids-I think. What can I do to get rid of them. I know the plant does not like its leaves to be wet. Also, what is the best food for this plant and how often? Thanks, Sue

Rose bush [ 3 Answers ]

Any suggestions on how and where I should plant my rose bush? I was going to take out a current bush and replace it with that in the front where there is usually lots of sun. I bought it before it started blooming and I haven't had a chance to plant it yet. Also I found info on the web about...

Dessert rose in need of your help [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dessert rose tree which is about 10 years old. For the last 5 it flourished beyond my imagination. This year it is acting like it is dying. The leaves are falling off and the limbs are very puny looking at the ends. I'm in Florida, and have given it plant food-- same kind for many years....

View more questions Search