Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 06:32 PM

slapshot_oi agrees: Self-defense is against the law in my state. You have to die if attacked.

Haha! I hope you're kidding. I'm pretty sure you are. :)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    ... he hasn't touced me since then because I told him that if he did I was immediately call the police.
    Ohsohappy,
    I just saw this post. I haven't read every post in this thread, but I am not seeing something that I think is important here.

First, your comment above shows that your brother CAN control his behavior. He can decide not to throw things, hit or threaten to hit. On the one hand, that's a good sign. He's not out of control. On the other hand, his ability to be better when threatened means what he was doing before was stuff he decided he could get away with and felt entitled to do--abusing you and your mother.

Second, his language and behavior shows he has no respect for women. I'm sure your step father set a horrible example for him and I gather you were both abused by this man. Your brother is only 17 now, so maybe he can learn to treat people better. But right now he feels entitled to do anything to you and your mother. It sounds like he is going through a lot right now, so he definitely needs help. But you are absolutely right to set limits with him and to ensure your own safety. It's imperative that he understand he cannot behave abusively without consequences. At the same time, I hope you will reach out to him when he is behaving reasonably (not just being nice to get something).

You sound you have a lot on your plate and I hope things get better for you soon.
    Asking
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 07:37 PM

Given that you're an adult, perhaps you should just move out. Sorry I didn't catch that - with you still at home, I assumed you were a teenager.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2010, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Ohsohappy,
    I just saw this post. I haven't read every post in this thread, but I am not seeing something that I think is important here.

First, your comment above shows that your brother CAN control his behavior. He can decide not to throw things, hit or threaten to hit. On the one hand, that's a good sign. He's not out of control. On the other hand, his ability to be better when threatened means what he was doing before was stuff he decided he could get away with and felt entitled to do--abusing you and your mother.

Second, his language and behavior shows he has no respect for women. I'm sure your step father set a horrible example for him and I gather you were both abused by this man. Your brother is only 17 now, so maybe he can learn to treat people better. But right now he feels entitled to do anything to you and your mother. It sounds like he is going through a lot right now, so he definitely needs help. But you are absolutely right to set limits with him and to ensure your own safety. It's imperative that he understand he cannot behave abusively without consequences. At the same time, I hope you will reach out to him when he is behaving reasonably (not just being nice to get something).

You sound you have a lot on your plate and I hope things get better for you soon.
    Asking
    You are right that he probably can control his behavior and chooses not to, what I don't think he can control are his emotions, so he lets them dictate his actions. It's weird because he chose to act out when my father came back to stay with his dying mother. The man my mother is with now is not abusive to her, but the man she was with before him was. His name was scott. I say was because he died. Drug overdose, he was addicted to his oxycoton. This was after my mom left him, but she was with him for a good 5 years before we left, and he was very cruel to us, my brother especially. My brother has been through a lot, so I understand his behavior. But while I understand it, I know he knows it's not right.

As for moving out, I am not financially stable and an unable to do so at this time, otherwise I'd be gone by now.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2010, 07:03 PM
    haha! I hope you're kidding. I'm pretty sure you are. :)
    Lol you I kind of embellished, but the state does make it seem like self-defense truly is a crime itself. This is what happens when the state gets too much power.
    As for moving out, i am not financially stable and an unable to do so at this time, otherwise i'd be gone by now.
    You mean you don't have a job?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 07:14 PM

The medical community is finding that people with Asperger's who had temper tantrums as a kid usually have anger management problems as teens and young adults. Did your brother have tantrums when he was younger?
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2010, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    lol ya I kinda embellished, but the state does make it seem like self-defense truly is a crime itself. This is what happens when the state gets too much power.

You mean you don't have a job?
    I do have a job but I don't make enough to support myself.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2010, 07:00 AM

Yeah, at 20 it can be hard to be at an independent income level but you know, I think that's going to be your solution - Perhaps getting a second part-time job or a higher paying primary job might be enough to get you out on your own within a couple months. Or maybe go away to college? (you can get loans to pay for it - no credit checks for student loans). Then you can kind of put in your two cents with the family about taking care of your brother's needs, but you can do so from a safe situation for yourself. It's tough when the person who's endangering you cannot help it - my heart goes out to you. I've known a few young guys with aspergers and they did find their place and become independent - it's just a tough road to get there.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2010, 11:19 AM

Yeah, I just want to make sure I have enough money to pay for school before I move out. School is the first priority, and if I get a second job it will hurt my grades, I'm already having abit of a hard time because of my job. I'm doing my best to save up for that.
    clairuk Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
    Your story has really made me think, I have a 13yr old son that is really out of control and is always attacking his younger siblings. It has made me realise that I am so wrapped up in what he is doing that I have never asked the others how it is affecting them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting younger brother and sister [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 22 and I was wondering what the chances are of being able to adopt my brother and sister. They are 4 and 7 and our mother left us a couple of years back to go and live with some guy. We haven't heard from her so I've been bringing them up plus she was always out so I brought them up before...

Trying to get custody over younger brother [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Im 18 years old and I have a brother that is 15 both our mother and father is dead he is now in a program in ft. lauderdale. I want to get custody over him. Please give me advice on what to do.

Mum loves my younger brother more than me [ 3 Answers ]

I feel that but I'm not sure He works abroad now and I live with them in the same city It almost criticize me in all my decisions and if I speak about him she always defend him against me I admit he has better sense of humour and more affectionate but I'm kinder and have not said no for them...

Brother wants costody of younger brother [ 3 Answers ]

Brother wants costody of younger brother Hi my name is Russell and I'm from Minnesota and I have a younger brother that is 15 going on 16 and wants 2 live with me how would...

View more questions Search