Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 11:15 PM

55 pounds is a bit more then I can hide from hubby. I think he'd notice. Maybe if I showed him the picture.. :)

I wouldn't want to put him through having to be transported to Canada anyway. The poor guy has been through enough.

I'm sure he'll find a good home with loving people. He deserves it. All animals do. :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2010, 11:30 PM

I'm sure he'll find a wonderful home living in a million dollar home (I'm not even kidding! That's were all our rescue dogs go). I doubt he'll stay with us long. The solid liver dogs don't stick around very long. I'll let you know when he finds a home!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 04:08 PM

I worked in dog rescue for some years. I saw an unwanted litter placed outside, in the Winter, to freeze to death while the mother tried to claw her way through a door. I saw an unwanted litter placed in an refrigerator to suffocate. I saw a moron inject a dog with hot sauce (yes, hot sauce) to see how it would react. I saw a dog beaten, locked in a bedroom, starved to death because it "couldn't" be housebroken.

I adopted a dog with cigar burns on her body; I adopted a puppy that had been thrown down the stairs - at 5 weeks - because she wasn't housebroken. My smaller dog is a rescue from a dog fight ring - she was a teaser dog and I had to go to Court to adopt her when I heard her story because she was evidence in a Court case.

There are a thousand horror stories.

I think we all have to save the ones we can and pray for the ones we can't.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 04:59 PM

Well said Judy.
    Last Sunday was the first Sunday in 6 years that out Shelter closed it's doors at closing with no dogs. I wish I could say the same with cats.
    This is our newest addition. He was tied to the front door, with a plastic bag filled with poop tied around his neck.
    He is friendly and adorable, and we are thinking less then a year.
    Currently nameless.
    Attached Images

EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 05:02 PM

He's beautiful... why would someone hurt another living being for any reason other than food or elimination of an active threat
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 05:45 PM

He looks like he's having a blast in the snow. I wish I could join him. Snowball fight! ;)

How much does he weigh? Can I sneak him past hubby? ;)
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 05:49 PM

Unfortuantly probably not, but we could take turns, you can have him one week, and tell hubby that "your friend" is in a jam and needs a last minute pet sitter and I will do the same and then we will swap off. Lol
    He weighs almost 90 lbs. He is VERY tall, almost to my hip, I am 5'5, he is still under 12 months. Gorgeous dog, very friendly towards other dogs, and women, kind of unsure of men.
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 05:52 PM

90 pounds! My 11 year old weighs just a tiny bit more then that! :eek:

I like your plan. It just might work. Are we driving him back and forth or chartering a plane? ;)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 06:03 PM

Bless you.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 06:10 PM

Wow, that's great that the shelter closed with no dogs in it!
    I wish I could say the same for the shelter near my house... you drive within a mile or so and you can hear barking dogs... very sad.
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Bless you.
    Judy, do you want in on the dog sharing program? ;)
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 06:26 PM

Well I think one month we could charter, but we should think about going green, so maybe we could go splitz on a smart car... Ya Judy, New York wouldn't be out of the way :)
    Shaz, yes they said it happens once in a Blue moon, but never lasts over the night. I live in a fairly small town, and people seem to be quite conservative, except when it comes to cats...
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2010, 10:47 AM

My rescue really hasn't gotten in a lot of sad cases. We are breed specific, so its mainly failed hunters.

However; We got in English Pointer puppy who had Demo. Mange so severe that he was completely bald. He couldn't stay out in the sun for any length of time because he would get sunburned. He was found in Ok. By a family. He was tossed out the window of a moving car in a wal-mart bag. He was only 4wks old. When we got him, he was close to 7wks... He battled severe worms, sunburn and the mange... He would cry when you touch him. It took us 2 full months to kill the mange. He now lives in a wonderful home in Idaho.

We got in a litter of purebred puppies that were thrown away in the middle of the field to fend for themselves in box.

Got in another dog... a mixed breed that attached itself to a purebred GSP... She was used as a bait dog in the pit bull rings. Terrified of the world. Adopted her and her companion to a horse farm only to be returned 2 years later. The purebred was fine... The mix breed was severely abused. The adoptive owners claimed she was kicked by a horse... x rays later showed her jaw was broken in three different places, both top and bottom... Vet said that these types of factures do not happen from a horse's foot. The new owner spent a lot of money to get the dogs face fixed.

:( :( :(
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Well said Judy.
    Last Sunday was the first Sunday in 6 years that out Shelter closed it's doors at closing with no dogs. I wish I could say the same with cats.
    This is our newest addition. He was tied to the front door, with a plastic bag filled with poop tied around his neck.
    He is friendly and adorable, and we are thinking less then a year.
    Currently nameless.
    Why would they tie a poop bag around his neck?:confused:
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 12:22 PM

I am assuming because he pooped in the house. You wouldn't believe how many people surrender their dogs because they aren't house broken. :(
    We asked one couple what measures they had done to housebreak, and they replied "we rub his nose in it, and hit him everytime we see a mess".
    It's just sad that someone thinks that violence is the cure all. I wonder if they would hit a toddler who messed in their pants.
    nicckidoodle Posts: 146, Reputation: 4

Feb 5, 2010, 08:36 PM

My heart is just broken I can't help crying it is beyond my relm of thinking how someone could be so cruel! I just don't understand...
    I just want to kiss and hug this poor baby and make sure that he never hurts again!

Feb 5, 2010, 08:38 PM
    I am assuming becasue he pooped in the house. You wouldn't believe how many people surrender their dogs becasue they aren't house broken. :(
    We asked one couple what measures they had done to housebreak, and they replied "we rub his nose in it, and hit him everytime we see a mess".
    It's just sad that someone thinks that violence is the cure all. I wonder if they would hit a toddler who messed in their pants.
    I can't understand that way of training either you just have to be patient and consistent when training how hard is that??
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 08:43 PM

It's hard, I feel that way too. But I have to put my emotions aside, and think of the animals. I dred going in there, everyday it takes everything I have inside of me to go in there and see those babies. But... if not me, then who?

Feb 5, 2010, 08:57 PM
    It's hard, i feel that way too. But I have to put my emotions aside, and think of the animals. I dred going in there, everyday it takes everything I have inside of me to go in there and see those babies. But... if not me, then who?
    Indeed thank god for people like you! I have to hard of a time separating myself from the situation (hince the reason o have 4 dogs) they are my and my husbands other babies all rescued because I couldn't stand them not being loved
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 09:05 PM

I guess it's unexplainable. Some people just don't understand or have the ability to treat all living things with kindness, some people just weren't taught, it's lack of knowledge. Some people really think they are doing what's right, and then some people are just idiots.
    I have far more compassion for animals, then humans.
    That's just the thing though, there will always be these people out there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 1yr old puppy is sick, vomiting.not worms, sick only in morning. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello:) I am new here.. My 1yr old pup, Gracie, is a house dog, she is 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 Min. Doberman. For the last few days she has been vomiting in the morning, that is the only time she does. We are very careful what she eats & as we live in town, she stays indoor.. even to void. She is...

I have a fried who swears he makes 250K. How do I find out how much he really makes? [ 12 Answers ]

:D I have a friend who swears he makes 250K. How do I find out how much he really makes?

My boyfriend never makes the first move and makes a lot of excuses about sex [ 14 Answers ]

Well I am a recovered sex addict and I have some emotional issues as well but sex if very important to me and my boyfriend and me never have sex anymore I don't remember the last time we even were intimate sometimes if I start touching on him he will normally just jerk off to finish and its so...

Love or lust makes me sick [ 7 Answers ]

Love/lust makes me feel sick in my stomach. odd feeling, Is it normal though? :confused: hElp

View more questions Search