Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CapeCod54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 10:54 AM
    Can I claim my moms home interest on my taxes if she has passed away
    My mom passed away last year. I am the executor to the estate and have continued paying the mortgage while we fix it to sell. Can I claim the interest on my 2009 taxes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 03:29 PM
    Several issues:

1) Does the estate have income? If so, the ESTATE must claim the interest on the fiduciary return (Form 1041) that the estate must file annually. The ficuciary return is required if there is gross income of $600 or more.

2) Are you paying the mortgage from your OWN pocket or from assets/income from the estate?

3) Are you the SOLE beneficiary of the estate?

If the answer to #2 or #2 is no, then you CANNOT claim the interest on your return. You CAN add the interest paid to the basis of the house when you alculate the capital gains or loss when the house is sold. That sale should be reported on the fiduciary return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claim home mortgage interest paid to a foreign banker [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Intl Tax Expert and Visa Taxes, Thank you very much for your valuable advise. From the above discussion, I understood that, to claim the home mortgage interest paid to a foreign banker, we need to fill a form 1042 and pay 30% of the mortgage interest paid to the foreign banker right? ...

Who can Claim Mortgage interest on taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Who can Claim Mortgage interest on taxes. I have paid my mothers mortgage (principal and interest) all year. Can I claim the mortgage interest I paid even though my name is not on Loan? Kind Regards, Joe

Second home: Deducting mortgage interest, real estate taxes, and PMI? [ 1 Answers ]

In March 2008, my wife and I purchased a second home as an investment (think of "Flip that House" except we haven't sold it yet and if it does sell... we'll lose money). When I originally started this process, I had read somewhere that I was not able to deduct the interest on the mortgage for...

Assuming my moms mortgage and getting the interest deduction. [ 2 Answers ]

My mother who is 80 has a home with a terrible mortgage. I want to pay down the loan from 295K to 60K or make a 235K payment. I want to refinance the terms on the remainder (60K) and place my name with hers on the loan. Basically assume the loan and make the payments, with both parties...

Home interest deduction taxes [ 1 Answers ]

If I paid interest on a 5th wheel, can this be included in home mortgage interest paid?

View more questions Search