Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Janeyfrance Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Feb 2, 2010, 03:30 AM
    Vegetarian meals
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Now, a question, please! For reasons of both health and economy I am trying to cook more vegetarian meals. The problem is, everything I produce seems to taste of the same three things - tomato, garlic and chili. Please could any veggies out there give me some ideas?

It would be great if the meals could be low-fat, as well.

Many thanks.

Jane
    Sitkadiver Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Feb 2, 2010, 03:50 AM

Have tried making a curry with coconut milk? The canned stuff is great and lasts forever in the pantry. Thai food has a ton of variety in addition to curry, maybe try getting a thai cookbook.

I also like cooking with tofu on occasiion, even though I'm not vegetarian. The stuff has a million uses, you can fry it, bake it, steam it. It tends to stay soy tasting though until you almost over flavor it with things like soy souce or fish sauce. But it simple and easy use.

Hope that helps a little.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 2, 2010, 03:59 AM
    Sounds like you need to get a decent cook book.
    One I found to be excellent and varied is: Eastern Vegetarian Cooking Madhur Jaffrey | WHSmith.co.uk

There's others available as well and eBay is always worth a look ;)
    Janeyfrance Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Feb 2, 2010, 04:23 AM

Thanks to both of you.

Yes, Sitkadiver, curries feature very strongly in our household. I make one, be it Thai, Chinese or Indian, about once a week.

I will certainly be buying the Madhur Jaffrey book, Culyben. She's a terrific cook, isn't she?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 2, 2010, 04:28 AM
    My copy of that book has certainly been well used.
    The range of dishes available covers most of the East, not just India.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vegetarian food [ 6 Answers ]

I heard that vegetarians could not eat jello. Jello is only made up of sugar and water. Is this a lie? If not why can they not eat that type of food? :confused:

Becoming a Vegetarian [ 3 Answers ]

I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian and I have been eating meat for all of my life until now . If I stop eating meat all of the sudden will I get sick or something and are than any tips or special guidelines to follow while being a vegetarian?

Vegetarian Dogs [ 23 Answers ]

Last night, a co-worker and I got into an interesting conversation. My co-worker is a self-proclaimed Buddhist/vegetarian. A lot of people at work give him crap about it and tease him. I asked him in a joking manner if he was opposed to meat eating animals such as lions. He said no, but the...

Is wine vegetarian? [ 3 Answers ]

Is wine vegetarian? I've never thought about it before but someone asked me today and now it's bugging me not knowing... :confused:

Vegetarian [ 10 Answers ]

My problem is I'm a vegetarian. I want to be, and I am. Too bad my parents won't accept that. I don't eat meat. And I have absoutley no problem when other people do. I just don't like it. I've only reciently confronted my parents about my non meat eating choices. And they've gone balistic. My...

View more questions Search