Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itana53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 05:32 PM
    1999 Taurus Transmission Problem
    I'm looking for some help dealing with a 1999 Taurus LX Flex Fuel.
    In slow/bumper to bumper traffic, or at any slow cruise, such as looking for a parking spot, the transmission jerks between gears, as if it is looking for the gear it needs to be in. Seems to be shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. It's almost like something is telling it what to do, and it's just following orders. Also seems to do it more when the car is warmed up
    If I shift it into low, it's as smooth as silk, and runs fine.
    It runs great down the highway, and the engine purrs like a kitten.
    I really like the car, but can't seem to figure out why it does this. Check Engine Light is not on, and as I said, it just flies down the highway. All other systems operate great.
    Anyone heard of anything like this? I've seen other posts about it, but no suggestions.
    Any info would be helpful. I have done a tranny service, and did use Mercon 5.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2006, 07:18 PM
    I have a 2000 Taurus SE, with the Duratec engine and AX4N transmission. It's an incredible car. However, when I first serviced the transmission at 29,000 miles, I was very surprised with all of the crud in the bottom of the transmission pan. In my opinion, it's a good transmission but requires the owner to follow a very good preventive maintenance program. This is the consensus opinion of members of the Taurus Car Club of America.

Accordingly, I drilled a 1/2" hole in the pan and installed a B&M transmission drain plug. It turned out that Ford had embossed a raised "O", where I decided the plug should be located. This allows me to easily drop and clean the pan, change the filter, and refill the transmission with Mercon V every 30,000 miles. As you know, the pan gasket is reuseable and represents, to me, a stroke of brilliance on behalf of Ford. These Gen IV transmissions demand cleanliness, in order to up/downshift properly. I would only use Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF or Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF in them. These electro-mechanical transmissions are unbelievably complex, eclipsing engines in terms of complexity, and require the cleanliness afforded by synthetics.

If you have been running the standard Mercon V ATF, I would either switch to synthetics now or run an AutoRX program to clean the varnish/sludge that may be developing on the servos and internal valves. Improper shifts are usually caused by varnish and sludge. After switching to synthetics, disconnect the negative battery terminal overnight, in order to force the transmission to relearn proper shift points. You may want to try this now and see if it helps. I take this a step further and even drain the fluid in the torque converter. This allows me to change 13.4 qts. Of ATF, rather than just 7 qts. Some people I know do all of this on their Taurus/Sables, plus install an inline ATF filter; e.g. Magnifine, which they change annually. My Taurus gets driven hard, all over Texas, in 100 degree heat--hauling 3 passengers with luggage in heavy traffic. Still, it shifts flawlessly. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 Taurus Transmission [ 7 Answers ]

The transmission in my 97 Taurus slips intermittently. It will be operating normally and suddenly let go. The engine will rev but the tranny won't pull. It will maintain a very low speed, and occasionally grab, but basically acts like the car's in neutral. It was operating normally today until...

'99 Taurus Transmission problems [ 1 Answers ]

Recently, my 99 Taurus has been developing some transmission problems. It has an automatic transmission, and when it shifts from first to second or from second to first the shift is very rough. Also, when accelerating on a hill the transmission seems very hesitant to shift. Almost like it's...

Down shift problem on 98 Taurus [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 1998 Ford Taurus SEL with the small V6 and automatic transmission. I am having the following problem. When ever you slow the car up to below approx. 30 miles per hour then push the Accelerator to resume normal speed, the transmission drops from drive to first gear Giving quite a...

92 Taurus V6 3.0 Tranny problem [ 4 Answers ]

Please Help, I have a family of 11 who relies on our Taurus. (of course, we don't all fit in at once, ha ha) Had a front right half-axle that needed replaced. I did the work and took it 1 mile to the store on a test drive. On the way back, power just left. The throtle still would rev the...

88 Ford Taurus Transmission Problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Have 88 Ford Taurus with auto xmission. Xmission will go in reverse fine, but will not engage into drive unless the vehicle is going at or over 15 mph. Fluid level checks out fine. Any advice would be appreciated. evaneric2

View more questions Search