Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Heat pump
    Replaced the contactor on heat pump as it was bad. It worked for several hours and now will not pull in. I have 24 v at contactor when I checked it. What would cause it to quit pulling in? Could a weak transformer cuasing this or what am I missing?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 07:31 PM
    If you hae tested the voltage on the two poles of the contactor then you have to have a problem with the contactor. The one I suspect is that the low voltage coil on the contactor has an open wire. One way to check this is to turn off all power to the unit, pull one wire off the low voltage spade clips, make sure it is not touching anything, turn the power back on and turn on the thermostat to send power to9 the contactor. Use your voltage meter from the lose wire to the other wire on the contactor, you should get 24 volts, if you do the touch the lose wire with one meter probe and then touch the spade clip where you took off the wire with the other probe. If you do not get upwards to 24 volts then the coil is open and will need to be replaced.
    Now if it is bad I do not know what might be causing it to open, it could be high voltage someway. Do you know how to check the amperage on low voltage? If not let me know and I will tell you how and if you have the right type meter.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 08:43 PM
    Just a little simpler to test contactor coil. Remove all power to unit, stat and disconnect. Remove a wire from either side of the coil and test for Ohms, 1-1K ohms its good, open is bad.
    elephantears Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Oct 19, 2010, 07:30 PM
    Never assume that a contactor is bad. If you don't have 24 volts to the contactor, then you must try to find out where it stopped. Is it coming back to the unit ,from the thermostat? It would read upward of 24 v from common to y. y is the call for cooling. Heating also on heat pumps.
    Many units have devices like pressure switches that 'interrupt' the 24v call for the contactor to pull in in order to preserve proper function.
    The most common is a loss of charge switch on the liquid line. It is normally closed but when the pressure of the freon in the liquid line drops below a certain set point, the pressure switch will open.
    You can wire past the switch (only temporarily) to see if the contactor was just' held off.'
    If it is this switch holding it off, you have worse problems than a faulty contactor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whalen Heat Pump - no heat! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a condo and have a Whalen Heat Pump. I changed the thermostat to a Noma digital programmable model (model # 52-255808) in the summer time. The A/C works well and the fan works well, but I did not test for heat as it was summer when I installed it. Well, now that the weather is...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Electric Heat-Pump-No heat [ 2 Answers ]

I had a wall-mounted unit installed in a room in may of this summer. In the middle of the night the heat shut off and has not come back on since. It is an Amana, electric heat with heat pump unit. The cooling works, the heating setting does not blow air at all. When I remove the cover it says...

Heat pump [ 3 Answers ]

My condensing fan motor is humming. I just replaced the capicitor 2 weeks ago and visually it looks OK. Will the motor hum if the unit is in defrost cycle?

Heat Pump [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Lennox heat pump. My builder was required to put one in per our neighborhood association. However, he set the thermostat so that it would never kick on because he thought I would like the hotter air provided by the gas furnace. I was thinking with the price of gas on the rise the heat...

View more questions Search