Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 03:35 PM
    What should I do now... if anything?
    Here's my story and I apologize for making it so long but I want you to have all the facts.

About 2 years ago I interiewed for a job with a company and the Area Manager who interviewed in Michigan said he said he really liked me, felt that I was a solid interview and felt I might be a good fit for the position. The next day he called and told me that he had filled the position with someone who was more qualified than I was but forwarded my resume to corporate since I was open to relocation. About 3 months later I got a call from the man who actually filled the job I wanted. He explained that the Area Manager was impressed with me and that they had a position available so I knew at this time the Area Manager wasn't just blowing me off. Unfortunately, I had returned to my seasonal position so I turned him down.

About two weeks ago I sent my resume to the same company only this time to there HR person in corporate in Tennessee. He called me the very next day and was really interested in me and asked if I had interviewed with the company before and when. Long story short he called the Area manager in Michigan verified that I had interviewed and the Area Manager once again told the HR for corp. that I was a solid candidate for a position. The HR from corp called me last Monday Nov. 13 and asked if I had spoke with the Area Manager from Michigan yet. I told him I had not and HR said that he had spoke with the Area Manager the previous Friday and that I should be expecting a phone call today (last monday). I actually called the Area Manager and he said "I've actually got your resume right here, and I'm going to have Mr. operations manager call you." He then asked when was I done working at my seasonal job and I told him I had just finished and could be ready for an interview at anytime.

The HR from corp. then called back that Monday and asked in I spoke with the Area Manager. I explained that I had and I would probably be interviewing with in the next couple days.

Well since then, last Monday afternoon I haven't heard anything from anyone in the company. I guess my question is should I call someone? If so who? HR in corp? The area manager? I don't want to be pushy and if they are not interested I don't want to bother them. I want to be smart enough to take a hint.

I guess I'm just so confused at how it they went from be so interested to no interest at all.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2006, 04:10 PM
    If you want a real answer, and if you're in the US, id wait until after the holiday and then call the area manager... the one that said he was going to pass it on to the op guy.

You know to be polite about the whole thing, but don't feel badly about calling. My wife has interviewed a number of people for a few positions she had to fill, and it took her well over a month to get everything done. But I know if someone had simply inquired about whether the position was still open for interviews, she wouldn't have been pestered about it.

So I think its no big deal to call again maybe Monday... thatll be two weeks from the last contact, right?

After that, I'm not sure id call anyone but HR later to check up.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 04:57 PM
    Id call.

It wouldn't sound pushy provided you went about it in the correct manner which I know you would chuff.

I think it shows you are keen and motivated. But as I said if you do it right it shouldn't sound desperate.

Anyway, good luck, it sounds as though they are interested. They may just be working out how much $$$$ they are going to offer you. And maybe it is so much they need a few days to work it out. LOL!!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Great points below.

I had one job where I knew I would get at least an interview through connections and doing good work before. They drug their feet for what seemed forever. Eventually got the interview and the position.

And I did once call to ask the receptionist who would handle the scheduling whether the position had been filled and she was fine with telling me that I should expect a call within two weeks.

Also, I know of one place that tries to get internal interviews out of the way first, before bringing in more people...

Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    Id call.

It wouldnt sound pushy provided you went about it in the correct manner which i know you would chuff.

I think it shows you are keen and motivated. But as i said if you do it right it shouldnt sound desperate.

Anyway, good luck, it sounds as though they are interested. they may just be working out how much $$$$ they are going to offer you. And maybe it is so much they need a few days to work it out. LOL!!!!
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2006, 01:12 PM
    Hey guys thanks for the advice. I think I will wait until Monday and give them a call.

Long story short but I just had to switch cell phone carriers which is not as easy as you'd think it would be which caused me to wait until I got the new number before I gave them my resume so it feels like I've been waiting even longer. Then I got kicked out of my apartment because they were closing (I work at a seasonal resort) and now I'm just in a holding pattern.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search