Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MoonPup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Problem loading command prompt.
    I am running windows XP and I have a problem loading a command prompt to change my IP address. When I went to start and clicked run, I typed in cmd and the black prompt came up but then disappeared. Is there any other way to open a prompt and/or change my IP address?
    darrenosborne Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Make sure you do it as follows:

1) Click Start
    2) Click Run
    3) type cmd
    4) click OK

5) type ipconfig /renew
    6) type exit
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Why would you want to change your IP? In most cases, IPs are assigned by a DHCP server.
    akishore Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2006, 06:12 PM
    If you really want to...

Go to Start, Control Panel, Network Connections

On Local Area Connection (or Wireless connection if you want to change that), right click and select properties. Off the General tab, click Internet Protocol to highlight it and click properties. Click Use the Following IP Address if you want to change it.

But unless you know what you're doing, you should stick with getting your IP address from a DHCP server.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to displace the loading image with a message like "loading... "? [ 3 Answers ]

How to displace the loading image with a message like "loading"?

No dual boot prompt for linux [ 2 Answers ]

I was having windows98 installed on my system(celeron 500MHz processor ,64MB RAM). I recently installed red hat 7.3 on my system.the installation was successful.I used lilo as my boot loader. The problem that I am facing is after starting my system , instead of asking to choose a os(dual...

How to Copy the contents in command prompt? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have given a command in command prompt (say ant) and then it will be executing the files. My question is how to copy that which is in command prompt to a file say notepad. While I am running autobuilder\ant, it will be showing all that in command prompt and the process takes hours. I want...

Yahoo Prompt password [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have enternet explorer v 6.0 and winxp with sp2 with latest update And when I try to login by my Yahoo ID it always promt me enter the password again, or ask me to enter my id and password And when I login to my group and try to see anything it always asking me about my password. This...

MS DOS prompt screen [ 6 Answers ]

How do you get onto your MS DOS prompt screen on Windows XP? I'm trying to get a dot address for a domain name.

View more questions Search