Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KK2 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 01:58 PM
    Uninsured driver involved in wreck?
    My SIL was recently in an auto accident and did not have any automobile insurance. Bad SIL, I know. The accident was the fault of the other driver (isn't is always!! ) and that driver did have insurance. My SIL is now trying to get something out of that insurance company for her car which is a total loss. Any advice? She seems to be getting nowhere with them at this point. We live in Missouri, if that makes a difference. The insurance company is Safeco, I believe. Does anybody know what steps or protocol she should follow? There were also substantial injuries to 2 people in my SIL's car, but at this point she's looking to get some $$$$ so she can get another vehichle and then deal with the personal injury claim separately. Can this be done?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 02:01 PM
    File the claim against the other persons insurance co. If they don't resond, file complaint with the insurance commissioner in your state. Don't agrre to anything on the phone, make them put it in writing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2006, 02:02 PM
    She needs to file a claim with the other driver's insurance company, get the claim number.

If their insured is denying fault, then she will need to sue the insurance company for damages. The fact that she was uninsured is not going to help her.

If she was insured, she would file a claim with her company and they would handle suing the other driver. Now she has to handle it all herself. The first step is to get a claim number and find out if they will pay on the claim.

Nov 21, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Thanks. I believe she does have the claim number and has given her statement to the insurance company. The other driver is "non-reponsive" at this point, they're thinking is that she possibly had a stroke or other medical emergency and that was the cause of her erratic driving. I don't know if that is the reason that she's not getting any where with the insurance co. or not. The accident happened 2 1/2 weeks ago. How long does it typically take to settle on an automobile claim (not personal injury).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2006, 02:20 PM
    She needs to get on the insurance company's back. If the claims adjuster doesn't provide satisfaction, then go up the line. Threaten to report it to the state insurance department.

Nov 21, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Thanks, Scott!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Yes and depending on her damges, if not that big, she can file a claim against them in small claims court if they don't respond in a timely manner.

Many large insurance companies, normally have a unwritten policy to try to deny a lot of claims esp when there is no other insurance company.
    I have held it too many times on sites like this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Wreck Issue [ 1 Answers ]

I need some advice from anyone whom might be familiar with this situation. My roommate was involved in a wreck last week and has no insurance on her car. She was driving home from work at around midnight and another lady on the opposite side of the road fell asleep at the wheel and hit my...

Driver [ 1 Answers ]

I have a epson printer epson STYLUS PHOTO 785EPX THE computer went down and my Cd for the driver I LOST and can't find a driver that I can download for xp I check the web for the driver and cannot find it. :-[

Driver [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone Where I get the drive "vnetbios.vxd" for Win98 Thanks for you help.

Cd Rom, Cd driver, Cd writer driver [ 1 Answers ]

I have never had any problems with this before. I used to be able to save data, music, pictures and etc on my cd writer. I tried saving some pictures that I have recently gathered with our new baby and while my wife was pregnant. So I tried everything. The writer does not do anything. Does...

View more questions Search