Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jroc817 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 10:20 PM
    Second chance felons
    I am a convicted felon that has been off parole for about 5 yrs. My conviction was a possession charge in Tx.. I want to go back to school for radiology or computer programmer how much trouble would I have getting a job in these fields or should I even take these courses.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 10:49 PM
    Hi, jroc817!

Since you've been convicted of a felony, it will be especially hard for you to get any kind of job in the medical field. In the State where I live though, there is a waiver program for which people can apply that can potentially allow them to work in certain medical and patient care fields, given that certain conditions have been met.

What sort of job experience and education have you already had, please?

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2010, 11:14 AM
    I have experience in transportation(class A cdl). I have experience in Information systems and computer science... Are there any fields to go into that will pay great or since I'm now cosidered a convict is no help for me except for the lotto are going back and doing the same thing which landed me in this mess. I guess God forgives, but America doesn't.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:20 AM
    You've been convicted of a felony. If you're in prison, then you're a convict while you're in prison.

I would suggest trying to have a positive take on things. You can "turn your scars into stars". It's just going to be harder for you.

How are your typing and other word and number processing skills?

Feb 1, 2010, 11:30 AM

My typing skills are fine, and my word and number processing skills r up to par also. How much trouble would I have getting a job in the computer field say something like a SQL programmer.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:42 AM
    I don't really know all that much about computer jobs and what's involved in them. If there might be a school where you would like to attend, they will normally have career counselors available.

Have you ever tried a temp agency to get a job? If you already have word and number processing skills, you could go and see how you do on the tests. I don't think that you would need to tell them anything in order to just take the tests. You could also use the printed out scores that you get on the tests as proof of some of your abilities.

Feb 1, 2010, 11:50 AM

A lot of temp agencies I've went threw do seem to have jobs for felons. I have a cdl but I can't afford to be out on the road going state to state due to having a family, I've tried some driving jobs locally but it doesn't seem to be working out. I need a field that I can get into that will support my children and myself, and fast food checks are not going to cut it
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 12:03 PM
    If you get a temp job, it could at least possibly get your foot in the door somewhere that might be interested in hiring you on a permanent basis.

Have you applied for public aid? Right now, my businesses aren't doing all the greatest. They used to be going pretty good. However, with the economy being the way that it is, a lot of people just aren't willing to spend the money for some of the things that I do. I get a lot of my food via food boxes from churches and sometimes I also eat at meal sites.

Why isn't it working out with the local driving jobs, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, what other skills do you have? Could you paint in homes, be a handyman, etc.

Feb 1, 2010, 01:41 PM
    Lots of local companies hear in Texas want you to be felony free, however transpoting water to different oil rigs sites is booming hear in Texas, but its kind of slow now because of the cold weather, I worked for one in the past but they lost their contract and went out of business. I want to go back to school for a better job. I would like to know what fields of study could I take and have the least trouble at getting hired
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 02:24 PM
    If you've already had a job driving, especially after being convicted, then kudos to you!

Just getting a job driving after getting a felony conviction is a huge accomplishment in itself! You did drive after getting the conviction? Correct? If my assumption isn't correct, I apologize for that.

I still think that you ought to try the temp thing. When the driving jobs are more plentiful again, you could go for them. In the meantime, and also to your benefit and reputation, if you show perseverance at wanting and obtaining employment, it will look much better to potential employers in the future.

Also, if you get a temp day job, and possibly a permanent one because of proving yourself to the temp employer, and if it's a day job, you might be able to attend classes at night somewhere.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability of 20ml of rainfall when 13ml chance is 87.7% and 16.9ml chance is 40.9% [ 5 Answers ]

Farmers in District D know when to plant and harvest because rainfall follows a particular pattern which repeats itself every seven months. Weather records for this particular area indicate a normal distribution as far as rainfall is concerned. The records further reveal that the chances of at...

Felons marring felons incarcerated [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are coming up on final sentencing and he is in the county and I'm out we don't know if he will get probated and we would like to get married if he does get locked can we still get married even though I will be a felon to or will we have to wait till he gets out?

How do I ask for a second chance? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I really really stuffed up. I went with a girl for a few months and later started to find out heaps of background info about her past that answered a lot of things I was uncertain about with her. But those things I learnt were really dark. THings that really confused me and made me pretty...

Another chance [ 3 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy for 4 months and we just broke up. Since it's a long distnace relationship a lot of misunderstandings has been going on between us. Basically, the main reason we broke up is because that I went clubbing twice in a row without messaging him during the club making him know...

View more questions Search