Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpmewiththis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 10:07 PM
    Motion to set aside default judgment California
    I have an old landlord that my charged me 2500 more because I was using his property for a board and care. Now he denies that he gave me to permission to now what he calls"sublet". I get paid threw the state and they changed our date of pay to be after the 10th which was agreed according to our lease. He jumped the late fees up to $250.00 even though he got his rent as soon as I got it. He served my kids fathers property (with tenants in it). I do not live there, however the guy only knows my po box address. My kids dad only goes by there to collect the rent once a month.for the December collection, they gave him a summons from this landlord for November. There was a default against me for not responding to it in a timely manner naturally.the judgement is for 198k. What do you think about this
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2010, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpmewiththis View Post
    i have an old landlord that my charged me 2500 more because I was using his property for a board and care. now he denies that he gave me to permission to now what he calls"sublet". i get paid threw the state and they changed our date of pay to be after the 10th which was agreed according to our lease. he jumped the late fees up to $250.00 even though he got his rent as soon as I got it. he served my kids fathers property (with tenants in it). I do not live there, however the guy only knows my po box address. my kids dad only goes by there to collect the rent once a month.for the december collection, they gave him a summons from this landlord for november. there was a default against me for not responding to it in a timely manner naturally.the judgement is for 198k. what do you think about this
    If someone accepted service on your behalf, then your issue is with them.

I find it highly unlikely that he obtained a $198,000 judgment against you especially by default.

If you were late on rent, then he is allowed to charge you the late fees. Just because the government changes the date you receive your money from them doesn't allow you to re-write your lease agreement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motion to set aside default judgement in California! [ 2 Answers ]

My husband sent me divorce papers, from San Diego. I live in Maryland & filed a response. However, my response & his default judgement passed each other in the mail. I need to now file a motion to set aside default judgement, but I can't seem to find the right form. Anyone know which form I can...

Motion to Set Aside Default Judgment [ 7 Answers ]

Our company just received a notice of default judgment, which is the first notice we've gotten about the claim in the first place. I've done some research, downloaded the papers filed by the plaintiff, and it looks like the papers may have been served improperly. In any case, it looks like we...

What if I don't file my motion to set aside default judgment in time? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a default judgment against me to evict me from my house, however on that same day I filed a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy which put a stay on the case. But my bankruptcy was dismissed because I was missing documents. Can I still file a motion to set aside default judgment even though the 21...

Motion to set aside default, motion to set aside final judgment and motion to set ano [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'M in Florida Jacksonville, I have a small problem, I read the time wrong to appear for my small claims court trial and arrived at 11:15am but is was scheduled at 11am 9/3/09. I tried to explain but did not get anywhere, so I went downstairs to the courthouse and filed a motion to set...

Motion for default judgment hearing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Motion for default judgment hearing in 2 weeks, The judgment (27K) is the last straw in a crumbling financial house already. I will be filing for bankruptcy (7) prior to that. (self-employed 2006-90K 2007-35K, house is in foreclosure) Will I still need to attend the hearing? Or what would...

View more questions Search