Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    junestar179 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 09:45 PM
    Key won't turn in ignition
    I have a dodge caravan 2002 and the key won't turn. It has done this in the past and with a few taps with a rubber mallet, it would work. Now its not working at all! Do I need to replace the key lock cylinder or the ignition switch? I am a single mother of 2 and my ex husband stole and sold my new car, so I have had to make several repairs on my older van... by myself because its cheaper, so any help on what's the best best would be appreciated!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:50 PM

My car does that every now and then. I don't know what causes it. It's like everything gets stuck. So far, if I release the parking break and wiggle the steering wheel (which is pretty much locked in place when my car does this), my key will turn. Have you tried that yet?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:52 PM

Spray the key and locking mechanism with WD-40, rotate the steering wheel to take the pressure off the mechanism, and the key should turn.

Jan 31, 2010, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    my car does that every now and then. i don't know what causes it. it's like everything gets stuck. so far, if i release the parking break and wiggle the steering wheel (which is pretty much locked in place when my car does this), my key will turn. have you tried that yet?
    Yeah, I have tried that. Everything I read on the internet says that this is a common problem for dodge's, and says to replace the ignition switch or the key lock, I am just not sure which, and I really can't afford to do both. Maybe I am not looking on the net in the right places, but I just can't find anything that tells you which to replace!
    Thank you though!

Jan 31, 2010, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Spray the key and locking mechanism with WD-40, rotate the steering wheel to take the pressure off the mechanism, and the key should turn.
    I have tried spraying it too, to no avail
    Thank you though!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 07:10 AM

Do you have another key you can try?
    markocmd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 04:30 PM
    Bang it while turning the key works

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My key won't turn in the ignition [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2002 ford windstar. My key will not turn. The steering, brakes, and gear shift are all locked. I have tried turning the wheel back and forth. No luck. I have tried rocking it. No luck. Yesterday a friend bumped hard underneath the steering wheel and finally it cranked. After turning it...

Can't get key to turn the ignition [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1999 Honda Accord Ex,can't get key to turn the ignition.How do I get that fixed?Thanks

Key won't turn in ignition [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Toyota Avalon, the key will go in the ignition but won't turn. It usually does after a couple tries. The problem seems to be getting worse and sometimes the key won't come out.

Ignition key won't turn [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2002 dodge grand caravan, the steering wheel is locked, it won't turn and the Ignition key won't turn on. This has happened two other times, and we shook the van And everything finally unlocked, but we have tried this for over an hour, and nothing is working. Do you have any ideas of...

Turn ignition key: it just clicks [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1982 dodge D150 with a straight 6 auto and someone messed with it and know when I turn the key all it dose is click how do I fix this problem

View more questions Search