Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    57islandman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 05:54 PM
    Wages Act in Ontario
    1.In Ontario, what is the maximum amount that your wages can be garnished due to not paying your creditors(such as credit loans and credit cards)?

2.Is this deducted from the gross amount or the net amount?

3. how long after not paying your loans on the average does it it take for creditors to seek action for garnishment?

4. Would you be served by a court sheriff by subpoena to appear in court?
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 09:06 PM

1. 80% of wages are exempt
    2. Net Wages (Gross less withholding taxes)
    3. You would have to be served with the Claim. 20 days to file a defence if served personally - 40 days if served by mail.
    4. The plaintiff (the party suing you) serves you.

Note: go online and read about the Ontario Small Claims Court. Court limit is $25000.00. The cost of filing a defense is $40.00. There is a Fee Waiver process if you can't afford the fee. One allowable defence is to admit liability for the debt with a proposal for payment. If the creditor does not oppose these terms of payment within 20 days, they are deemed to have accepted the terms. A judgment can be signed against you for any remaining part of the amount proposed if you go into default under these proposed terms. Do not ignore the claim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wages act ontario [ 3 Answers ]

I have a garnishment order for monies owed to a financial instituion and payable to the Minister of Finance, sent to a local court clerk. What is the maximum amount of garnishment ih this case? Is it 20%?

Limitations act in ontario debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have read some other posts, but don't understand. This is my issue, The 407 has tried to get payment from 1999. I tried to get the amount owed from that year and they would give it to me. They want the whole amount the includes the interest. I haven't talked to them since 2001. I went to register...

Do I have a case with the Ontario Slander/Libel Act [ 2 Answers ]

58 People at my work received a fictitious email that detailed a conversation that never happened between a colleague and myself. The email was sent from gmail and did not identify the sender. Is there any chance I can get a court order to trace who sent this email? Technically it's possible...

View more questions Search