Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 02:47 PM
    How Do You Rid Your Mind of Worry and Fear?
    Hi, All!

Okay, I'm going to get personal here again, like I have already about having possible skin cancer. Although, I want to be careful and not spill a lot about myself on this site that gets such excellent exposure on the Internet. I'm sure that some of the regulars here know enough about me to read between the lines...

Most mornings, I wake up terrified! It's the morning mind, where, even though the eyes are open, I'm not quite with it! Finances aren't good and business hasn't been the best. Because of the economy, a lot of people have cut back with the services for which they're willing to pay. Health is also another issue.

I would appreciate some coping strategies. Ideas from you as to how you cope, calm down and not succumb to worry and fear. Succumbing can become debilitating as well as a possible hazard to health!

I pray and read self-help sort of things. I also have a number of friends to whom I speak with frequently. Nonetheless though, I am alone. My kids are grown. I'm not lonely, but I feel very alone. There is a difference. I find myself being "frozen" a lot of times because of worry and fear. I'm also clinically depressed and not on any medication. I also get panic attacks. Just had one this morning.

What sort of things do you do to not get totally stressed out because of worry and fear, please?

Thanks!
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:00 PM

Daily medatation.. I use different cds,I listen too soothing music,or even music that's not so soothing!

I walk,I think perhaps I leave the majority of my worries on the road.

When I do get down or too worried,I try and change my thinking to something more positive,try and remember a tim in my life when I was happy and relaxed,and focus on how I felt then.

I don't really share my thoguhts or worries with others and tend to keep a journal.

I like a plan,a plan helps me focus on the end product,if its paying off a bill,or finishing an assignment.

I like lists too!

I list the things that worry me or what I need to do and then look for possible solutions.

In the morning I set my intention for the day...

Example: today is going to be filled with love,health and wealth,I am going to have a great day! then focus on the feeling of having those things in my day.

A suggestion for reading material clough is " how to get what you want and want what you have" by john gray.

Its pretty good,I tend to take what I need from books and use what I can.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:00 PM

Deep breaths help me the most. When I have time (which is almost never lately) to do some actual yoga, that's even better. But when I feel like I'm about to lose it, deep breaths and telling myself it'll all be okay helps me.

I haven't looked into it at all yet, but someone was telling me that there's some new studies saying having a lot of vitamin d in your diet is supposed to help with depression. If I find anything on the study they were talking about, I'll post a link here.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    daily medatation..i use differant cds,i listen too soothing music,or even music thats not so soothing!

i walk,i think perhaps i leave the majority of my worries on the road.

when i do get down or too worried,i try and change my thinking to something more positive,try and remember a tim in my life when i was happy and relaxed,and focus on how i felt then.

i dont really share my thoguhts or worries with others and tend to keep a journal.

i like a plan,a plan helps me focus on the end product,if its paying off a bill,or finishing an assignment.

i like lists too!

i list the things that worry me or what i need to do and then look for possible solutions.

in the morning i set my intention for the day...

example: today is going to be filled with love,health and wealth,i am going to have a great day!,then focus on the feeling of having those things in my day.

a suggestion for reading material clough is " how to get what you want and want what you have" by john gray.

its pretty good,i tend to take what i need from books and use what i can.
    I really like your positive thinking and approach, redhed35! Why don't you share your thoughts and worries with others, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    deep breaths help me the most. when i have time (which is almost never lately) to do some actual yoga, that's even better. but when i feel like i'm about to lose it, deep breaths and telling myself it'll all be okay helps me.

i haven't looked into it at all yet, but someone was telling me that there's some new studies saying having a lot of vitamin d in your diet is supposed to help with depression. if i find anything on the study they were talking about, i'll post a link here.
    When I'm having a panic attack, it's hard for me to even breath, justcurious55! Isn't the sun one of the sources for vitamin D?

I would appreciate any links that you can post!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I really like your positive thinking and approach, redhed35! Why don't you share your thoughts and worries with others, please?

Thanks!
    I don't really know how to answer that question clough,I'm a talker that's for sure,but mostly my talk is filled with cr*p!

If I do share its usually with people who know me well and know I need a sounding wall more then empathy or sympathy.

I'm not a closed book by any means,I just have sticky pages.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    I dont really know how to answer that question clough,im a talker thats for sure,but mostly my talk is filled with cr*p!

if i do share its usually with people who know me well and know i need a sounding wall more then empathy or sympathy.

im not a closed book by any means,i just have sticky pages.
    What did you spill on your book! :D
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:20 PM
    What did you spill on your book! :D
    Have you thought about the worst case scenario?

How you would feel,what you think you would do and say?

Then play it again,but change the outcome,visualise a positive outcome,see it happen and play that scene instead.

Manafest (sp) a positive outcome.

Nothing is impossibe,we don't use all of our brains,you will never know if you don't try.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:28 PM

Have you looked into or had any therapy, e.g. CBT or EFT
    EFT Home - World Center for EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques)

Also, have you tried anything called 'rescue remedy spray'
    Rescue&reg Remedy - Official Site

Or any other natural calming tablets or anything.

I agree with red about meditation, calming cds and walking, or any physical activity that you can put your all into.

Safety straterfies can help (eg planning and lists) but don't rely on them too much as its very hard to shake your dependency on them, and in the long run could add to your depression in the long run.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    have you looked into or had any therapy, eg CBT or EFT
    EFT Home - World Center for EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques)

also, have you tried anything called 'rescue remedy spray'
    Rescue&reg Remedy - Official Site

or any other natural calming tablets or anything.

i agree with red about meditation, calming cds and walking, or any physical activity that you can put your all into.

safety straterfies can help (eg planning and lists) but dont rely on them too much as its very hard to shake your dependency on them, and in the long run could add to your depression in the long run.
    Are there any other natural calming tablets like St. John's Wort?
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:39 PM
    Are there any other natural calming tablets like St. John's Wort?
    Personally I use these

Kalms Tablets
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 03:41 PM
    I find Melatonin works for sleep and it gives me a calm awakening.

Clough, if you are clinically depressed medication should be a must. There are ways to pay for it, as well as the fact that many pharmaceutical companies are seeing the downward economy and many of these meds are affordable now. The one I take is only $4 a month.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:41 PM
    I will tell all here, that my back hurt so bad this morning and that I was having a bad enough panic attack, that I played the last two selections on the organ with one hand and just the pedals! I had to hold onto the left side of the organ with my left hand in order to keep my balance. Fortunately, I'm behind a walled-off area where I play the organ, so no one could see what I was doing. No one seemed to notice that not all of the notes were in the two pieces.

I'm calmer now, but have a lengthy rehearsal tonight with a group where one of the instruments that I play is the string bass. Another balancing issue there!

Can't miss the rehearsal. We're only allowed to miss one before a concert, and if a person does need to miss, then they'd better have a really good excuse!

They're really strict about the attendance policy!
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I find Melatonin works for sleep and it gives me a calm awakening.

Clough, if you are clinically depressed medication should be a must. There are ways to pay for it, as well as the fact that many pharmaceutical companies are seeing the downward economy and many of these meds are affordable now. The one I take is only $4 a month.
    The ones that I've been prescribed have also been only $4.00. - Wal-mart.

It's the visits to the mental health center at the local hospital about which I'm worried. It's a sliding fee scale, however, I think that the minimum for anyone is $20.00 a visit.

I also feel, that if I go for counseling and subsequently get prescribed meds, that I'm just avoiding things and also spending time there when I could be getting other things accomplised.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Well, you could also accomplish a lot by going. Such as panic attack triggers and coping mechanisms.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 03:50 PM
    Isn't the sun one of the sources for vitamin D?
    Yes, it is, but we don't get enough of it, especially in winter in Illinois. The RDA of D per day is 400 IUs. I researched this and have upped the amount I take to 4,000 IUs per day (2,000 twice a day). Have you tried glucosamine for your back and joints?

Tai chi is good for balance. Doing a few basic yoga positions twice a day might help (Google this.)
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 04:00 PM
    The ones that I've been prescribed have also been only $4.00. - Wal-mart.

It's the visits to the mental health center at the local hospital about which I'm worried. It's a sliding fee scale, however, I think that the minimum for anyone is $20.00 a visit.

I also feel, that if I go for counseling and subsequently get prescribed meds, that I'm just avoiding things and also spending time there when I could be getting other things accomplised.
    I know how you feel, but if your mainly getting worked up and stressed about missing rehersals then the rescue remedy spray is really helpful :)
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 04:02 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Isn't the sun one of the sources for vitamin D?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Yes, it is, but we don't get enough of it, especially in winter in Illinois. The RDA of D per day is 400 IUs. I researched this and have upped the amount I take to 4,000 IUs per day (2,000 twice a day). Have you tried glucosamine for your back and joints?

Tai chi is good for balance. Doing a few basic yoga positions twice a day might help (Google this.)
    Yes, I know that I don't get enough sunshine. We've also not had a lot of around here lately!

What brand do you take for the vitamin D, Wondergirl?

I've never heard of glucosamine. Is it something that's over-the-counter? One thing that I've heard of helping for the joints is Certo.

I have a book on yoga at home. There's also a place called the Friendly House in Davenport. The classes for yoga are free there. I have a 79 year old friend who's been trying to get me to go.

I definitely need to do something about the back pain. I find it hard to even sit up straight. With the pain, things just multiply on themselves. I start freaking myself out and it just gets worse and worse. It's like having multiple panic attacks, if there is such a thing.

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Nature's Bounty. Puritan Pride is good too, or other major brand names.
    I've never heard of glucosamine. Is it something that's over-the-counter?
    Yes. Schiff is what I take, 1500 glucosamine and 1500 MSM. Are you still on dial-up? I will c/p info here, or you can Google.
    There's also a place called the Friendly House in Davenport.
    Going there regularly for yoga will help not only your back but also your social life. At first it will be tough to move your body, but stick with it. Don't give up.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Okay, I'll check them out!

I've never heard of glucosamine. Is it something that's over-the-counter?
    Yes. Schiff is what I take, 1500 glucosamine and 1500 MSM. Are you still on dial-up? I will c/p info here, or you can Google.
    I'm on high-speed where I'm house and dog-sitting. No problem with receiving things via the Internet.

There's also a place called the Friendly House in Davenport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post

Going there regularly for yoga will help not only your back but also your social life. At first it will be tough to move your body, but stick with it. Don't give up.
    I think that I'll definitely do the yoga thing!

Off to feed the dogs and go to Wind Ensemble rehearsal now!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get rid of the fear? Even if it is all in your head. [ 15 Answers ]

Before you all start laughing, I'm being serious. I'm scared of ghosts. I'm so afarid that I can't sleep or eat normaly anymore. This is for real, some very strange things have been happening in my house for the past months, and I think I've started believing in ghosts because I've actually seen...

What do I need to worry about? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm considering a separation from my wife of 11 years due to a variety of reasons. I'm likely going to take a job somewhere outside the metro area we live in. What do I need to be concerned about? We have two kids and a shared house for which we're both listed on the mortgage. She can have...

How do you get rid of the fear? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been with my fiancé for 6 yrs we, been engaged for 5 out of the 6 yrs and we have a 4 yr old daughter together and are planning on having another child with in the next year. I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with him. I also know that I want the huge beautiful wedding that...

I have to get rid of this fear. [ 12 Answers ]

I had a crazy experience a little while ago. See, I am deathly afraid of bee's/wasps. They are my biggest fear and when I am around them I look like an idiot because I flip out pretty bad. I panic. Well, on my drive home from my lunch break I was jamming to a song and I felt something fly into...

View more questions Search