Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murray4812 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Leaky shower pan drain
    I have a leak that seems to be coming from the shower pan drain, all tile and grout seems intact. The leak at first looked likeit was coming frm the bottom of the trap, but I saw that it was water building around the joint from the vertical pipe (PVC) from the trap to the drain above. Any suggestions? I would love to avoid ripping our the shower pan (which is plastic, walls ceramic tile)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 21, 2006, 05:20 PM
    Sometimes if the shower base isn't bedded properly it will give a bit around the drain lip when someone steps in and puts weight on the shower floor.
    In time this will rupture the seal under the drain lip and allow water to leak past and down the trap raiser. The correct way would be to open up the ceiling and loosen the drains retaining nut and run a rope of plumbers putty or silicon jel under the lip and tighten the nut.
    But before you go through the hassle try this. Dry off around the drain lip and jam silicon jel under the drain lip. Let it set up and cure. To test remove the strainer and jam wet rags in drain to stop it off and fill the base with a inch of water and let it set. Look for moisture on the ceiling. If you have none you've repaired your leak. If there's moisture follow the first set of instructions. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, what do I use to seal the drain in a stand up shower? Caulk? Silicone? Will I be able to use the shower the next day? Thank you

About testing to identify a leaky shower pan on the 2nd floor [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of identifying and looking for the possibility to fix a second floor shower leak. This is five-year-old single-family house. Several months ago, I happened to find some water markers on the ceiling when I laid down on the first floor for a break. These water markers are...

Installing new shower pan drain [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a shower pan drain for my new shower pan. When installing it there is a rubber washer and looks to be a paper washer I set the crome male threaded end through the pan hole then went under home and threaded it onto the under side of the shower pan bottom. Rubber seal first then the...

Another leaky shower drain [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! A few weeks after moving into our (12 year old) house, we noticed moisture coming through the ceiling. The upstairs shower is right above the wet spot. We called our warranty company, and they sent out a technician who said that it was the shower drain, which has a crack in it (but of...

Fixing shower pan drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to fix the drain in my shower. The shower has a fiberglass (I think) shower pan. This shower pan looks different that ones I see on the internet in that the drain is actually formed in the shower base. The sch40 2'' pipe comes up about an 1" from the opening. The drain...

View more questions Search