Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Nov 21, 2006, 09:02 AM
    Outlets for GFI circuits - bath & kitchen
    Hi - 2 questions:
    1. I'm adding whirlpool bathtub as part of a remodel job. I've got 2 20amp dedicated lines, 1 for the pump, 1 for the heater. Each of these has to be on a GFCI breaker in the main panel, do I just use a regular receptacle under the tub enclosure, or is there a special receptacle to indicate that the circuit is GFCI at the panel?
    2. In the kitchen, also new in the remodel, I've added 2 20amp circuits for the counter outlets, 1 for the counter on the sink side of the kitchen, 1 for the counter on opposite side of the room. Do I only need to use GFCI outlets on the counter near the sink, or all outlets in a kitchen?

Thank you.
    arlea1957 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed1500
    Hi - 2 questions:
    1. I'm adding whirlpool bathtub as part of a remodel job. I've got 2 20amp dedicated lines, 1 for the pump, 1 for the heater. Each of these has to be on a GFCI breaker in the main panel, do I just use a regular receptacle under the tub enclosure, or is there a special receptacle to indicate that the circuit is GFCI at the panel?
    2. In the kitchen, also new in the remodel, I've added 2 20amp circuits for the counter outlets, 1 for the counter on the sink side of the kitchen, 1 for the counter on opposite side of the room. Do I only need to use GFCI outlets on the counter near the sink, or all outlets in a kitchen?

Thank you.
    HI as for the tub if you use gfi breakers in the breaker box you can use ordinary recepticals under the tub. If you use normal breakers at the box you will need gfi recepticals under the tub (remember either way to have an access panel). As for the kitchen if the recepticals are less than 6 feet from the sink they have to be gfi otherwise normal recepticals are OK. Hope this answers your question.
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 21, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arlea1957
    As for the kitchen if the recepticals are less than 6 feet from the sink they have to be gfi otherwise normal recepticals are ok. hope this answers your question.
    This is incorrect. The 6-foot rule is only for laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks. All kitchen receptacles that serve countertop surfaces must be GFCI protected, regardless of their distance from a sink.
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 21, 2006, 11:11 AM
    For the outlets that are protected by a GFCI breaker, I always label them "GFCI Protected," but I don't think that this is actually required by code. If additional outlets are connected to the load side of a GFCI receptacle, then labeling all downstream receptacles is required. Code doesn't explicitly require the labels, but since the instructions that come with the GFCI receptacle say to use the included labels for downstream receptacles, you must, because 110.3(B) says that devices must me installed and used according to manufacturer's instructions. But I have never seen any instructions for GFCI breakers that say that outlets connected to them need to be labeled, so I guess it's not required. That doesn't mean that you can't label them though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correction-GFI & AFI Breakers & Shared Neutrals [ 3 Answers ]

I need to submit a correction to some advice I had furnished in the past regarding Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit breakers being used on shared neutrals. I had in mind the typical single pole 120 volt breakers that will not work if two breakers are used for two 120 volt circuits that share a...

Wiring circuits with smokes & lights [ 1 Answers ]

I am building my basement right now and have been reading about wiring and circuits. I thought I had everything figured out for my basement until I started looking into my lighting circuit today. I had a circuit that I thought I could easily add to, to handle my needs. I will be adding three...

Kitchen appliance circuits [ 1 Answers ]

I know that 2 appliance circuits are required for the kitchen. Can these circuits also connect to other receptacles such as dining rooms and pantries? Thank you in advance

GFI outlets [ 6 Answers ]

I have an older home with no GFI outlets. What is involved in installing them, and how many do I need? Thanks, Roca

Circuits in Kitchen [ 6 Answers ]

I just replaced my appliances in my kitchen and when installing the Fridge they had to plug it in to a different outlet from before. I didn't think it should share an outlet - but I looked at my circuit box and there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Fridge outlet. The electric range is on it's own...

View more questions Search