Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 11:47 PM
    Were you at Woodstock? Greatest Musicans of that era? Greatest Guitarist of all time?
    Were any of you at Woodstock? I wish I could have gone. I love the bands like The Grateful Dead, Crosby,Stills,Nash,Young,Santana,Canned Heat, Richie Havens. Okay last question, who do you think is the greatest guitarist of all time? You can have a runner up also. I think Stevie Ray Vaughn was the greatest blues guitarist who ever lived. He died in a helicopter crash on August 30,1990 after leaving a sold out concert at Alpine Valley Wisconsin. I loved him. Eric Clapton is the runner up. So if you don't mind let me see your comments. Thanks
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jan 31, 2010, 03:29 AM
    Hi! Kitkat22, I wish I could've gone too... :(

I graduated back in '69, and 'bout a month later I found out my Senior year "rat pack" was going to a concert in upstate New York, all I had to do was ask my parents if I could go.

Well... Mom said no, when I asked why She replied, "That weekend is your birthday, and I want you here". Case closed. :(

When the guys returned I heard good stories, horror stories (remember it rained all, but the last day of the concert, And the traffic!), but all in all, good times... It would have been glorious! :cool: ;) :D :eek:

As far as greatest guitarist?
    Well... That can be in the eye of the beholder, but what 'bout jimi?

My choices for second?

In no particular order:
    • Les Paul
    • Robert Johnson
    • Johnny Winter
    • Ry Cooder
    • Paco De Lucia
    • Pete Seeger
    • Joni Mitchell
    • B.B. King
    • Jeff Beck
    • Duane Allman
    • Neil Young
    • Al Di Meola
    • Bert Jansch
    • Slash
    • Buddy Guy
    • Kirk Hammett
    • Ali Farka Toure
    • Carlos Santana
    • T-Bone Walker
    • Stevie Ray
    • Henry Vestine
    • Clapton
    • Richard Thompson
    • Joan Jett
    • Dylan
    • Yngwie Malmsteen
    • Stephen Stills
    • Trey Anastasio
    • Roy Buchanan
    • Dimebag Darrell
    • Chuck Berry
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Feb 4, 2010, 01:23 PM

Woodstock was before I was born, but I loved the music. Some great guitar players were Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Steve Clark and Phil Collen of Def Leppard, Van Halen, Duane Allmann, Santana, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden), Bruce Kulick (Kiss, Grand Funk), Joe Perry, Brian May, Alex Lifeson (Rush), Mick Mars (Motley Crue), Pete Townshend.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 02:35 PM
    I was in my first year of College and wanted to go with some friends. I was going to sneak and go but instead I asked my Dad and his answer was a resounding, " The day you go to Woodstock is the day I grow my hair back and put it in a pony tail". So I took that as a no. I asked this Woodstock question because ,I've heard horror stories and I've heard wonderful stories. It was about the music, and that is one of my passions.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Feb 4, 2010, 02:45 PM

Kitkat, my Mom, your Dad, does this mean we were wannabe hippies?
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 03:09 PM

I wanted to be part of the music and the hype. Oh how I look back now and say Thank You Dad! I knew my past had come back to haunt me when my oldest son wanted to go to a concert to see "Kiss". When I regained consiousness he had changed his mind. I think experience is the best teacher. Thanks for your answer.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Feb 4, 2010, 03:49 PM

What's so bad about Kiss? They make great songs and there is very little offensive language or subject matter in their music. Even when they sing about sexual themes, they are pretty subtle compared to gangsta rap nowadays which I hate.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 04:24 PM

Nothing wrong with "Kiss". When you are a parent as you probably are, the bands our kids like are somewhat like the bands we liked. In hindsight you're right they were tame compared to some of the filth we hear today. I wanted and still want my children and grandchildren to have heroes who have made a difference.Rock stars or actors or even some of the sports stars are great but they are not heroes. People like, Rosa Parks and MLK and Mother Teresa, Audy Murphy and all the young men and women who are fighting for this country and all those who have died. They are the true heroes.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 05:37 PM

No, I'm a little too young to have been at Woodstock. I was 7 at the time.

As far as the best guitarist, I am a musician, (percussionist), and in my opinion, Al Di Meola is the very best. I agree with some of the above list KUXJ has compiled. Derek Trucks is one that you should check out too. Steve Morse is another one.

Jimi and SRV were two of my favorites.

Look at Guitar Magazine's list.

Most of the best guitarists in the world list Al Di Meola as the "all time best".
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 05:58 PM

Gosh you are young! I will listen to the artist Al Di Meola. Jimi and Stevie Ray are in my opinion the greatest.
    If you haven't heard Stevies "Texas Flood " and "Dirty Pool" listen to them. My children say I'm stuck in the 70s and 80s. I guess in a way I am. Blessings to you "young man".::D:D:D
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2010, 02:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Gosh you are young! I will listen to the artist Al Di Meola. Jimi and Stevie Ray are in my opinion the greatest.
    If you haven't heard Stevies "Texas Flood " and "Dirty Pool" listen to them. My children say I'm stuck in the 70s and 80s. I guess in a way I am. Blessings to you "young man".::D:D:D
    I've got everything he ever put out. I saw him in Atlanta before he got famous. Twice. Small clubs. He was amazing live. And he plays heavy,heavy, gauge strings.

I was devastated when he was killed.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 05:42 AM
    Miss You SRV

We were in Dallas when I saw him. There's a small park in Irving closer to Grand Pararie and there were a few people gathered around this young guy , cigerette in his mouth and actually playing guitar as if he were the only one there. I watched him, the way his fingers moved on the strings of that guitar. I was blown away. Nice guy with that big smile and so personable with all of us. There will never be another like him. This was in I guess 79 or 80. We were in Florida when I heard he had been killed. I cried like a baby. MISS YOU STEVIE RAY!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Greatest happiness principle [ 3 Answers ]

Why does Mill say that we need appeal directly ti the greatest happiness principle only when secondary principles conflict?

The greatest first lady ever! [ 78 Answers ]

I'm not sure which is worse, the left's rabid hatred of Bush or their creepy infatuation with the Obama's. We're getting such hard hitting investigative journalism as Michelle's $540 sneakers, what the Obama's had for lunch, what a fashionista Michelle is, how magnificently toned her arms are and...

Greatest book [ 17 Answers ]

What is the greatest book(any type of literature) And why

Fractions from least to greatest 3/4; 14/16; 15/25; 17/20; 3/18 [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to help my son in Fractions. Need to know how to figure out the fractions from least to greatest 3/4; 14/16; 15/25; 17/20; 3/18

T2 Greatest Movie Ever! [ 2 Answers ]

I know I might be a little behind the times, but I just saw T2 in it's entirity today, and the movie is GREAT! By far one of the best action movies off all freaking time! I have seen bits and pieces before, but like I said I just saw it today as a whole and WOW. It's the ****. The music, the...

View more questions Search