Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jermaine1983 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 07:25 PM
    What should I pay my janitorial sales reps
    What commission should I pay my janitorial sales reps for acquiring new accounts I live in Philadelphia pa does anyone know?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 08:14 PM

Will they be getting just a one time fee for getting the account, or will it be a fee they get each month as the client is retained
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 08:36 PM

What we do is pay 25% of the net profit for each job sold, one time for each job.

We have each salesperson then 'watch', visit each twice per month and they are responsible for their own accounts. For this they receive another 10% each month for each of their accounts. Plus a base salary of $25,000.00 per year.

We also either give them a company car or pay $500.00 per month to use their own vehicle and we cover all expenses.

They are also responsible to turn in a detailed 'Daily Report' each day or $10.00 is deducted for each day that they do not. This report is about their existing accounts and all sales call with complete information.

Stringer

Jan 30, 2010, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Will they be getting just a one time fee for getting the account, or will it be a fee they get each month as the client is retained
    They will get paid residual as long as the account stays active

Jan 30, 2010, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    What we do is pay 25% of the net profit for each job sold, one time for each job.

We have each salesperson then 'watch', visit each twice per month and they are responsible for their own accounts. For this they receive another 10% each month for each of their accounts. Plus a base salary of $25,000.00 per year.

We also either give them a company car or pay $500.00 per month to use their own vehicle and we cover all expenses.

They are also responsible to turn in a detailed 'Daily Report' each day or $10.00 is deducted for each day that they do not. This report is about their existing accounts and all sales call with complete information.

Stringer
    Stringer thank you for the information it really helps, do you also do draws?
    Business Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 11:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jermaine1983 View Post
    Stringer thank you for the information it really helps, do you also do draws?
    In the 17 years that I have been doing this with my company I haven't as yet. I is always an option however in my opinion it is pretty much the same as you can never get back any draw. The important thing is in your hiring the right self starting people. However you must still maintain a lot of control and feedback.

Salary or draw, if with in 3 months there aren't any see-able results... well it is decision time. In my opinion, great salespeople are a special and rare breed.

Stringer

Jan 31, 2010, 12:18 AM

Stringer
    Stringer I have one more question for you would that 25% come from the monthly amount of the account or would it from the full year amount? Thanks again
    Business Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 12:40 AM
    Stringer I have one more question for you would that 25% come from the monthly amount of the account or would it from the full year amount? thanks agian
    The 25% is paid monthly along with the 10% and other.. Should that account add space of reduce work it affects the salesperson's account. If the account is lost so are all commissions.

We pay twice per month; the 15th and the last day.

Stringer

Jan 31, 2010, 12:55 PM
    In the 17 years that I have been doing this with my company I haven't as yet. I is always an option however in my opinion it is pretty much the same as you can never get back any draw. The important thing is in your hiring the right self starting people. However you must still maintain a lot of control and feedback.

Salary or draw, if with in 3 months there aren't any see-able results...well it is decision time. In my opinion, great salespeople are a special and rare breed.

Stringer
    Hey stringer what do you think would be a realistic amount I should set or expect a sales rep to do per month. Thanks again

Jan 31, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Stringer I have one more question for you would that 25% come from the monthly amount of the account or would it from the full year amount? thanks agian
    Thanks again
    Business Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 01:50 PM
    Hey stringer what do you think would be a realistic amount I should set or expect a sales rep to do per month. Thanks agian
    In sales?

A new salesperson has to be trained in the technical part of the actual cleaning part of the job to add vastly to their experience. A new sales person with us, regardless of past sales experience, spends two weeks nightly with our Operations Director on sites. He/she will actually do the job for a few nights in different locations, different types of buildings; medical, retail, warehouse, general office, labs, etc. They also spend time with the Floor Crews, actually learn how to strip and refinish VCT properly, carpet cleaning, window cleaning, etc. This allows them, first hand, to see what it actually takes to do the job properly, an overview of how much time it takes to do it, and then understands the problems that Operations have. This overall gives them insight when selling and bidding. AND 'knowledge breeds CONFIDENCE!'

It begins with prospecting, stays with prospecting and ends with prospecting! Too often a salesperson 'gets lucky' and then stops prospecting for a while. This is disastrous. Generally it takes a lead time of three months on average from first contact to sale. (Decision time, present contract 30 day notification terms, etc.) They have to keep things 'in the pipeline.'

They have to learn to network constantly, 30% of our new business comes from referrals. Even if the person that they are talking to does not have a business, they probably know someone that does. Also, have them join groups; local chambers, local networking groups, read all the local news papers, business and trade magazines, etc. There is much that you can do to assist; website, good brochures, give aways, local stories of accomplishments in your local news paper/s about them and your company, etc.

So with that said, (and there is so much more) initially all the person's time is devoted to sales not tending to care-taking of existing accounts. If you give them an established territory then they should also get any other leads that come from that territory. I would start with a sales goal based first upon prospecting and appointments, say 15 to 20 new prospects daily, 1 to 2 appointments daily, etc. Then after the first three months evaluate this. Then establish a dollar sales goal going forward. I would do this with their participation as they need to feel that it is doable and they 'buy into it' also.

I would establish a minimum sq ft for buildings that you want them to pursue, say 2,000 sq ft or larger. Figure your sales price on this size building/s and for the second quarter I would say that 6 to 10 sales at this figure for a monthly goal, say $4,000.00 per month. Then upon seeing the results make adjustments accordingly. Next quarter, after review, say $5,500.00 per month, and so on to arrive at an 'up and running' sales person monthly goal.

Make the adjustments according to territory potential, this person's ability, etc. After 6 months, I would think that an aggressive, self starter should have a monthly sales goal of at least $10,000.00 +, that is $120,000.00 annually +. This, IMO, will make profit for your company and certainly make money for the sales person.

You need to sit down and run your own figures as far as cost balances... One thing that greatly discourages a successful salesperson is to change any commission plan or sales goal/s later that are not in the person's interest. You WILL destroy their attitude and probably lose a good salesperson.

I hope this helped some, if you have more questions please ask me, thanks.

Stringer

Feb 23, 2010, 07:31 PM
    In sales?

A new salesperson has to be trained in the technical part of the actual cleaning part of the job to add vastly to their experience. A new sales person with us, regardless of past sales experience, spends two weeks nightly with our Operations Director on sites. He/she will actually do the job for a few nights in different locations, different types of buildings; medical, retail, warehouse, general office, labs, etc. They also spend time with the Floor Crews, actually learn how to strip and refinish VCT properly, carpet cleaning, window cleaning, etc. This allows them, first hand, to see what it actually takes to do the job properly, an overview of how much time it takes to do it, and then understands the problems that Operations have. This overall gives them insight when selling and bidding. AND 'knowledge breeds CONFIDENCE!'

It begins with prospecting, stays with prospecting and ends with prospecting! Too often a salesperson 'gets lucky' and then stops prospecting for a while. This is disastrous. Generally it takes a lead time of three months on average from first contact to sale. (Decision time, present contract 30 day notification terms, etc.) They have to keep things 'in the pipeline.'

They have to learn to network constantly, 30% of our new business comes from referrals. Even if the person that they are talking to does not have a business, they probably know someone that does. Also, have them join groups; local chambers, local networking groups, read all the local news papers, business and trade magazines, etc. There is much that you can do to assist; website, good brochures, give aways, local stories of accomplishments in your local news paper/s about them and your company, etc.

So with that said, (and there is so much more) initially all the person's time is devoted to sales not tending to care-taking of existing accounts. If you give them an established territory then they should also get any other leads that come from that territory. I would start with a sales goal based first upon prospecting and appointments, say 15 to 20 new prospects daily, 1 to 2 appointments daily, etc. Then after the first three months evaluate this. Then establish a dollar sales goal going forward. I would do this with their participation as they need to feel that it is doable and they 'buy into it' also.

I would establish a minimum sq ft for buildings that you want them to pursue, say 2,000 sq ft or larger. Figure your sales price on this size building/s and for the second quarter I would say that 6 to 10 sales at this figure for a monthly goal, say $4,000.00 per month. Then upon seeing the results make adjustments accordingly. Next quarter, after review, say $5,500.00 per month, and so on to arrive at an 'up and running' sales person monthly goal.

Make the adjustments according to territory potential, this person's ability, etc. After 6 months, I would think that an aggressive, self starter should have a monthly sales goal of at least $10,000.00 +, that is $120,000.00 annually +. This, IMO, will make profit for your company and certainly make money for the sales person.

You need to sit down and run your own figures as far as cost balances..... One thing that greatly discourages a successful salesperson is to change any commission plan or sales goal/s later that are not in the person's interest. You WILL destroy their attitude and probably lose a good salesperson.

I hope this helped some, if you have more questions please ask me, thanks.

Stringer
    Hey Stringer, do you know of any good janitorial books?
    Business Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 09:04 PM

HI Jermaine,

Please be a little more specific; Sales (phone/cold calling/direct), operations, green cleaning, medical cleaning, admin?

Feb 24, 2010, 10:57 PM
    HI Jermaine,

Please be a little more specific; Sales (phone/cold calling/direct), operations, green cleaning, medical cleaning, admin?
    Hi Stringer,

More like sales and operations, and what do you think about government contracts?

Feb 26, 2010, 02:44 PM
    HI Jermaine,

Hi Stringer,

Basically any books on sales, operations and what's your opinion on government contracts? Thanks Again
    Business Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 03:22 PM

There are tons of books and articles on sales and some specifically pertaining to operations in the cleaning business Jermaine.

Let me check my 'Stash' :) and you take a look later back today or tomorrow, OK?

Stringer
    Business Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 05:38 PM

Jermaine, here are 8 points when calling on the phone and especially when you get their voice mail...

1. Get down to
    business right away, don't make them feel that you are wasting their time.

Your prospects don't like
    phony friendliness. Instead,
    be professional and state,
    "Eric. Jill Konrath calling.
    123-456-7890."

Even though
    you feel compelled to share
    your position and company
    name, they're irrelevant
    in a voice mail.
    Reference any
    referrals upfront

2.The single best way to keep
    prospects listening is to
    mention the name of a
    respected colleague. Make
    sure you state this person's
    name immediately after your
    brief introduction: "Pat Jones
    suggested I call you."

3. Show you've done
    your homework.

Let them know you prepared
    for this call by researching
    their business. Tell them if
    you've worked with other
    similar people or companies.

You might say,
    "I was on your website and
    noticed…" or "In working with
    other CPA firms, I know
    they're struggling with..."

4. Mention a recent
    newsworthy event.
    Bring up recent events that
    create a need relevant to
    your offering. This includes
    things like 3rd quarter
    earnings, new management,
    acquisitions, down sizings,
    higher interest rates or new
    strategic initiatives.

Let them know this is what
    triggered the call.

5.State a strong
    value proposition.

Prospects are always
    interested in the business
    outcomes you can deliver.
    Instead of talking about your
    product or service, use
    business terminology and
    metrics: "We help companies
    shrink time to revenue on
    new product launches
    by up to 47%."

6. Share a fresh
    perspective.

Nothing is more tempting
    than ideas, insights or
    information that can help
    eliminate their problems or
    achieve their objectives:
    "I have some ideas on
    speeding up your sales cycle"
    or "We recently did a study
    of CFO's primary concerns
    in today's business
    environment."

7.Eliminate any self serving
    verbiage

Much as you might like to
    talk about your state-of-the-art
    systems, unique
    methodologies and passion
    for excellence, it turns your
    prospects off. Get rid of all
    self-promoting puffery,
    creative crap and
    technical tripe.

8. Sound like a
    trusted peer.

Today's buyers want to work
    with savvy sellers who bring
    personal value to the
    relationship. Don't sound like
    you're hoping to meet with
    them or grateful for even 10
    minutes of their time.

Instead, talk like you would
    if you called a colleague
    with an idea.

I look through more, I hope this helps some.

Stringer
    Business Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 05:45 PM

When you write letters to prospects:

Prospecting letters can uncover gold-but only if you observe these tried-and-true rules:

Personalize. Businesses don't buy from businesses; people buy from people. Address your prospecting letter to people, not to their business-and never to "occupants." Target your letter by using recipients' names and titles-spelled correctly of course.

Demonstrate expertise. Before prospects will consider you, you need to demonstrate that you know what you're doing and that you have the track record to prove it. Are you the "largest manufacturer of widgets?" Are you rated highest in Consumer Reports? TELL THEM!

Emphasize. Instead of reading, prospects may just scan for essential points. Make your most important points easy to find and easy to come back to. Use underlining, color highlighting, boldface, UPPER CASE-even circle your most important points.

Keep it simple. Brevity and simplicity reduce clutter. Prune your words to their essentials by reading and re-reading your letter before it goes out.

Say what you mean. Choose active, colorful words that say exactly what you mean. Avoid over-used expressions and wimpy words that lack punch.

Appeal to the eye. Today, layout is often as important as content. Place your key points first. Ensure readability by careful choice of typeface, paragraph spacing, margins, logo placement, and color usage. Use your computer to automate and enhance impact, but don't go "font crazy"-nothing says amateur so much as too much.

Show respect. Don't waste your recipient's time through irrelevance or exaggeration. Tell the truth, and relate your service or product to the real world-their world. Address their goals; solve their problems. After all, a trucker's concerns will differ from a cosmetic surgeon's.

Make replies easy. Enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope or postage-paid card. Emphasize phone numbers and contact names, and be consistent and clear when describing what you're offering. Unless recipients can easily restate your message, they haven't grasped the nature of your offering.

Add a postscript. Many sales are made solely on the basis of what comes after the main body of the prospecting letter. Got a special offer to make (trade-in allowance, clearance prices, extended warranties)? Place it at the end, in a postscript. A p.s. is an effective summary-your offer in a "nutshell"-and may be the one item of content prospects refer back to and remember.

Call for action! Tell readers what you want them to do-and remind them of why they should act right away: "To take advantage of this one-time only, 50% discount, reply by December 31 using the enclosed, postage-paid envelope." Few products or services can survive the selling silence of a prospecting letter that omits the call to action.

Go for the hidden gold-put these prospecting tips to work today!

-Sandler Systems
    [/B]

Stringer
    mapchicago Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 03:50 PM

Do you suggest face to face prospecting for janitorial accounts or cold calls via the phone. How many face to face and/or phone calls is possible.
    mapchicago Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 03:52 PM

When the rep visits the account twice a month do they visit and speak with the client and/or do they go and speak with the crew also in the evening?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does gross sales include sales tax? [ 2 Answers ]

Because sales tax from a restaurant passes through to the state do I include it on my income statement and then write it off as an expense? Or do I leave it off both sides (income and expense). Which is the more correct way to handle it?

Were can I get complete top 400 album sales number and overall sales? [ 1 Answers ]

I want know if there is a site that can give me the complete sales number of music?

What is are reps? [ 11 Answers ]

So you always hearing magazines and stuff to do like, an example 3-5 reps and what I want to know is WHAT IS ARE REPS?! HELP ME!! :confused:

REPs keeping between me and love? [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I really extremely like this guy :) :p and he said no when I asked him out, but I know he likes me beacause he talks to me more than his friends he jokes around with me:D he grabbed my A**!:rolleyes: well anyway I think he won't go out with me because of his rep how do I get him to forget his...

High Pressure Sales with Private Sales Clubs [ 4 Answers ]

To Whom: Is it legal in the state of Rhode Island/Connecticut for a private sales club (Direct Buy) to force a prospective member to join immediately after a forced one hour sales pitch? Direct Buy instructs their prospective customers that if they don't apply for membership immediately they...

View more questions Search