Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    14613300 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 05:34 PM
    How do I know my W2 is incorrect?
    I received my W2 from my previous employer and noticed that it reports that I paid over $900 to social security yet only $186 to federal income tax. I can't see how this could be correct. I feel like I remember paying for for income tax during the year but I may not be able to find my paystubs? Am I right in thinking a mistake has been made? If so, what can I do about it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2010, 05:36 PM

No, Fed withholding is much less than FICA. If only $186 was withheld for Fed taxes, then its likely you had some paychecks where none was taken out.

If you think a mistake was made ask your employer to recheck it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 10:00 AM

Rough calculation: $900 taken for SS means you had about $15K in wages. Depending on your filing status, number of dependents, earned income credit etc it may be that you owe little to no federal income tax. So off hand the amount that was withheld seems OK.

In the future, do yourself a favor and save your pay stubs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Incorrect symbols [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I try make a question mark an e with a slant on the top comes up, the period button and others don't make the correct symbols either. What can I do to change that and make the right symbols?

1099C is incorrect [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099C that the amount on that does not agree with the Settlement really was. How do I get fixed or can I ?

Incorrect W2 [ 1 Answers ]

I received my W2 from my current employer around the end of February (Late, I know), and it was completely screwed up. Some of the fields were missing, some were only half filled in... So, they updated the accounting software, and now we have new ones (Recieved at the end of march... just keeps...

Incorrect W-2 [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-empolyer did not pay me for 8 weeks of work for 2006. Now, I get a W-2 showing he paid me. I have a claim in with the labor dept last year but they did nothing, well they made a phone call but that was it. I have a copy of the only check they did give me for 2006 and it was returned for...

Incorrect info or is it right? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 17, and have been trying to find a sure answer on a question for a while. My boyfriend is 21, and I was wondering if my parents found out we were sexually active, I they could 1) press charges and if they can, then 2) if they can press charges against my will. I live in Michigan, and I read...

View more questions Search