Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 02:32 PM
    $6500 Homebuyers credit
    Hi,

Is this credit available if I lived in my home for 5 years and sold it on Sep 2nd 2009 and bought a new house on Sept 30th 2009?

Should the house have been bought after Nov 6th 2009 to get the credit?

Please do let me know.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Negative. The law was not passed by Congress until 6 November 2009, and they did NOT make it retroactive.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 01:12 AM

Long-time homeowners who buy a replacement principal residence may also claim a homebuyer credit of up to $6,500 (up to $3,250 for a married individual filing separately). They must have lived in the same principal residence for any five-consecutive year period during the eight-year period that ended on the date the replacement home is purchased. Replacement home must be purchased in the period from November 6, 2009 to April 10, 2010. Your U.S. Tax Return: First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do I qualify for the Homebuyers credit after a land contract then a quitclaim deed? [ 3 Answers ]

I was in a land contract for 2 years, at which point, under contract, I was supposed to secure financing or the land contract was over. My husband and I couldn't get financed for that house, so we bought a different house. And we signed a quitclaim deed to transfer everything back to the owner on...

Tax Credit - Existing Home owner $6500 [ 2 Answers ]

Resident state NY - Suffolk county Currently living in this home for 5+yrs Married filing jointly, within income bracket to qualify. The question is moved up to this home from another home fully owned and lived for 5+yrs. Does this home qualify for the $6500 TAX credit. What is the date range...

H1b and H4 first time homebuyers [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My husband and I are in the process of buying our first home. He is on H1b visa and I am on H4 visa. We have been in the USA for almost 3years. Can we claim the first time homebuyer's credit $8k? Both of our names are on the title/deed of the property. Should we have it replaced to have...

First time homebuyers tax credit [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading up on this tax credit and I can't seem to understand the date part of it, if I purchased my home in 2007 am I eligible for this credit? If not why did the government limit this to certain homebuyers with the economy the way it is we all need a little help.

View more questions Search