Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lexilulu Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Jan 30, 2010, 02:23 PM
    What to do with old dudes?
    Ok, usually when I go someplace I go with my mom or grandma... They drop me off or we spend quality time together... But whenever I do go out, I usually have old guys checking me out... I'm thirteen, but lots of people say I could pass as 15-16, and these guys that check me out/talk to me are about 16-30+ Its gross... I love when I go places with my mom, but she says she wants to put a bag over my head or claw up guys faces... Its the WORST when I go to wal-mart or something, and I have boys that literally follow me around... My gma gets really pissed and freaks out... One day she even shouted "SHE IS 13, GO AWAY!!!"... It gets embarrassing, even around my friends... What should I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 02:53 PM

Be glad tha you have family that love and want to protect you. If this is really happening ( they follow you around a store and don't know you) then they are right in telling them to go away
    uglyst Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Dress conservatively, very conservatively, Wear baggy clothes that do not reveal your figure. Wear very little or no make up. Flats or sneaks only, no heels. If guys still follow you around or stare, tell them that for $50 they can join your court of admirers, otherwise, get lost. My daughter is your age.

Jan 30, 2010, 03:08 PM

Usually when I go places I wear guys baggy hoodies, ripped jeans, and converse.. And all I wear with makeup is eyeliner and powder... Thanks:)
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 04:36 PM

There is nothing I can tell you except don't give them any reason to think you're interested. Sometimes (and I'm not saying this is the cause in your case) even the smallest smile, given to show a nice hello can lead to these guys thinking you're coming on to them. My daughter usually just gives them her raised eyebrow teacher look and it does the trick. She is georgous and she teaches third graders and knows how to give ,"the look". She has always been very, very pretty but she never flaunted it and she never dressed in inappropriate clothing. I as her mother always told her there is one way to stop this. "Look them straight in the eye and say; Leave me alone! I'm not interested and tell them your age". Be sure there are adults around when you do this. I hope you get this problem settled. Sometimes being really pretty is not what it's cracked up to be is it?
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Jan 30, 2010, 05:47 PM

You will have to figure out how to best deal with it. If you are attractive, the staring won't stop for many many years. As you get older, the age range of the men will get older. So, since this may be the case with you, and you will not always have a chance to dress down, you have to make yourself look sad, busy, unemotionless, unavailable, or like you could care less about them looking at you. As you get older, you may someday enjoy the attention. Many times, it just happens no matter what you do, you just learn how to not look around.

You could always cross your eyes at them... that's what one of my friends did, and it worked every time.
    CarrotTalker Posts: 392, Reputation: 189

Feb 1, 2010, 08:46 PM

I hope you also can get advice from your family and this forum about forming healthy relationships.

There are a lot of bad men out there.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 12:56 PM

Lots of good advice given here,but above all please remember to tell someone where you are going if you go out, no matter how short a distance it is.

Stay safe
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyst View Post
    Dress conservatively, very conservatively, Wear baggy clothes that do not reveal your figure. Wear very little or no make up. Flats or sneaks only, no heels. If guys still follow you around or stare, tell them that for $50 they can join your court of admirers, otherwise, get lost. My daughter is your age.
    I actually kind of disagree with this.

I know the op is only 13,however,it's the adults who are in the wrong not the op,I'm not saying walk around like a hoochie,but a 13 year old kid should be able to wear a pretty skirt or shorts if the weather permits,even if she wanted too.

At 13 most teenage girls like to wear a little lip gloss and have their hair nice.

I do understand where your coming from,but I don't think going around in sack cloth and ashes is right either for a 13 year old... (I know that's an exgeratation).

A positive body image in a young teen is important,I don't think she should have to cover up head to toe,or be afraid to wear the pretty skirt,or dress.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Feb 2, 2010, 01:15 PM

MY feeling on this is that it is always important to be yourself. One thing that you won't be able to change is how other people feel or think when they look at you. What you can work on is how you feel about you and not allowing them to change that. It is very frustrating to be followed around or hounded by boys/men. Keep your positive body image and ask your mother to help you through it. You can run into a corner and feel that everybody is staring at you and close down and become self-conscious. However, people are looking at you because you are beautiful and for the most part it's a positive. Stay safe and always aware. Continue to be yourself and hold your head high.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 08:39 AM

I agree with Red and msmewiththat, I do disagree, I don't think the OP should have to dress like a homless person because creepy old men are perving on her.
    I also don't think she should dress provocativly either, but the clothes that people her age are wearing, well lets say, are little more revealing then what I wore, (and I'm not even that old!)
    These guys aren't going to stop looking at you, but YOU need to be aware of the dangers out there, not just from men either...
    So I would consider taking a self defense class, or something to that effrect, just to protect yourself and to stay safe.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 11:31 AM

Sometimes I see girls at the mall etc... and I think, "how in the world could a parent allow their child to dress that way". It is a different generation. I hope this young lady will take the advice she has been given, and I hope it works. I also think it's her right to wear nice clothing as long as the clothes aren't provocative. There are a lot of horrible, deranged people in this world so be careful.

Feb 5, 2010, 11:57 AM

Thank you... This is really helpful advise... I take kick boxing Thursdays... And I know what you meen about teens wearing revealing cloths... I don't do that... Just Skinny Jeans and band tee's most of the time...
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I agree with Red and msmewiththat, I do disagree, I don't think the OP should have to dress like a homless person because creepy old men are perving on her.
    I also don't think she should dress provocativly either, but the clothes that people her age are wearing, well lets say, are little more revealing then what I wore, (and I'm not even that old!)
    These guys aren't going to stop looking at you, but YOU need to be aware of the dangers out there, not just from men either...
    So I would consider taking a self defense class, or something to that effrect, just to protect your self and to stay safe.
    Auro-Bell.. Love the Blonde Joke.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 02:38 PM

LexiLu.. I believe you're a good kid. Remember to always be prepared, like maybe carrying a long hatpin in your pocket wrapped in a small piece of cloth. If someone grabs you or touches you kick him right in the family jewels. Not only will it give you time to get away it will cause him excruciating pain and he will be able to sing soprano for a few hours. Take care of yourself and let us know how things go. I'm giving you the same advice I give my three girls. but I'm hoping you'll never have to use these tactics . Good luck
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Auro-Bell..Love the Blonde Joke.

Thank you! :D
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 07:10 PM

Thanks for a great laugh! I like the one about kids too. So true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tired of being one of the dudes (an I'm a chick) [ 2 Answers ]

Well pretty much I only hang with dudes an I end up acting like one of thembecause they treat me like one of them I want to find a guy that's more than one of my dudes because I know there not into my looks so they treat me like one of them sometimes it gets old because I want to man that's going...

Noah Way Dudes! [ 14 Answers ]

BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In Pictures: UK under water BBC NEWS | England | North Yorkshire | Villages evacuated by new floods BBC NEWS | UK | Torrential rain sweeps across UK Soooo... I was wondering if anyone fancied chipping in on buiding an ark? Between us I'm sure we've got the...

View more questions Search