Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TommyFButler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 12:48 PM
    Should an exterior door have a taper?
    I never noticed until I started trying to weatherstrip my front door, but it appears the door once had a taper to it. That is, the width of the interior face of the door (hinge side to latch side) is about 1/8" wider than the exterior face. Unfortunately, over the years, people have tried trimming the door unevenly to compensate for movement of the doorway, and it's hard to tell exactly what the original profile was. It occurred to me that such a taper would serve to make a tighter fit when the door is closed. Am I way off base?
    dkelley Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 02:18 PM

You are correct. Most doors are tapered on the latch side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Waterproof an exterior door [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. I have a door at my home that I need to make watertight. It's an outside wood door and twice in the last year there has been a lot of rain & caused about one foot deep water in my back yard for a couple of hours. Does someone know what would be a good procedure? Any help would be greatly...

Fiberglass Exterior Door [ 1 Answers ]

Advice needed... What kind of paint should I paint my door with? Is a water based paint.. okay to use? Where can I read step by step how to paint a fiberglass smooth exterior door? Thank you

32 exterior door [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All, I scored an awesome deal the other day. I bought an 32 in exterior door, got it home and realized it is a 6 1/2 jamb for a 2x6 opening. I have 2x4 framing. So I need to make this fit. Where can I get another 2 inches at ? Should I rip cut a couple of 2x4's and add to the...

New door and jamb? EXTERIOR [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1920"s stucco home. They still have I believe, possibly the original doors. My wife wants new doors,so do I. I want to attempt to buy replacement doors with jams attached. I didn't remove anything yet,but measured jam thickness of old doors. It is larger then doors at Home Depot. ...

Paint exterior door [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently painted my exterior door which is a metal plate on a wooden door. Before painting, I striped the old paint, sanded, cleaned, and primed the door. I then used a brush to apply a good latex exterior paint. When the paint dried it looks like it had "water spots" all over the door. ...

View more questions Search