Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Causic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 08:57 AM
    Steam coming off rivers in the morning..
    Why do we see what looks like steam coming off rivers in the morning.. even in the winter and its been below freezing for days...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 09:38 AM

Because the water is warmer than the air - or else the rivers would be frozen straight through to the bottom.

Jan 30, 2010, 10:03 AM

Thank you for your reply.. I was looking for a more detailed approach.. I am aware of the basics.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 10:33 AM

The warmer river water is evaporating into the air, the cold air is causing the vapor to condense into a mist. Does the same thing in the summer but the air temps aren't cold enough to cause condensation so the dampend air can't be seen.

Jan 30, 2010, 11:00 AM

So it's not steam... it's water vapor... thank you :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 02:20 PM

Technically it is steam, steam is vaporized water. Most folks think of steam as boiling water, around 212 degrees depending on altitude. Due to the very different temps this is condensed steam. Ordinary steam is not viseable, must condense to be seen
    alexzukini Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 09:33 PM
    On top of what all the other answers have said, water holds an enormous amount of energy, so it will be warmer than the temperature of what whatever it is outside if it's a lake and its been warmer outside for the past couple days then it'll be steamy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have noticed there is alrge amount of steam coming from my outdoor Stellar hot wate [ 3 Answers ]

I have noticed there is a large amount of steam coming from my outdoor Stellar hot water system; is this normal?

Bush LCD TV coming on every morning at 3am [ 3 Answers ]

My Bush LCD TV 15W08DVDHD keeps on coming on every morning at 3am:mad: Does anyone know where the timer is hidden as I canot find it anywhere on the remote and it is driving me crazy Thanks Libby

Geography- rivers-W M Davis Theory [ 1 Answers ]

Please please please - I urgently need the following information for my homework/coursework on Rivers for GCSE. I want as much information as possible on W M Davis's Theory on rivers - please can you point me in the right direction or tell me where can I get this information??

W M Davis's Theory on Rivers [ 1 Answers ]

Please please please - I urgently need the following information for my homework/coursework on Rivers for GCSE. I want as much information as possible on W M Davis's Theory on rivers - please can you point me in the right direction or tell me where can I get this information??

View more questions Search