Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MJTMJTMJT Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Single phase 30a 208v wye
    I am having a Canon C6000 digital printing press installed. I only have single phase to my facility. It calls for single phase, 30a, 208v Wye. Is this possible, and what is the difference in wye connection versus delta? Any suggestions? They are telling me to use a nema L1430 configuration for connection, but must be 208v, single phase.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 11:07 AM
    Your NEMA outlet is just an outlet to plug in the press. Maybe the diagram will help explain what a wye connection is.
    Attached Images

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 01:53 PM
    If the unit is rated only for 208 volts, and you have only single phase, it should be 240 volts. You really should check if it will work properly on the 240 volts.

If you look close at the nameplate, it may say 208~240 volts, or something similar, in which case it will operate fine.

Jan 31, 2010, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    Your NEMA outlet is just an outlet to plug in the press. Maybe the diagram will help explain what a wye connection is.
    Thanks for the diagram. HOwever, you are showing a WYE connection utilizing 3 phase, correct? The press I have emphatically states 208, single phase. I'm a bit puzzled. Can I accomplish 208 single phase with a 120/240 panel?

Jan 31, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    If the unit is rated only for 208 volts, and you have only single phase, it should be 240 volts. You really should check if it will work properly on the 240 volts.

If you look close at the nameplate, it may say 208~240 volts, or something similar, in which case it will operate fine.
    Thanks for responding. The instructions state emphatically that 208v, single phase only be used for power connection. I'm a bit puzzled at why a major manufacturer would utilize 208v, single phase. Can I accomplish this with a 120/240v rated panel?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 02:30 PM

That receptacle Leviton 30 Amp 125/250V Single Locking Flush Receptacle - Leviton 27CM-10 - LevitonProducts.com

Has a neutral, ground and two of the phases.

You have to call the mfr to see if it will operate on 240, otherwise you will have to install a transformer to reduce the 240 to 208V.

USUALLY, there are ways to make single phase equipment operate on 240 or 208V. Some motors get upset.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 02:37 PM

It can be done with a buck boost transformer. Buck Boost Transformers - Power Transformer Co

Basically the transformer would be wired such that 32V is subtracted from each leg yielding 208 V. Note some transformers have dual secondaries.

Two 416-2202-000 transformers from here would work. http://www.powertransformer.us/jeffe...ansformers.htm
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 07:40 AM
    As I stated, since the unit is rated only 208 volts, and you have 240 volts, you need to check with the manufacturer to learn if the unit can be supplied with 240 volts.

There are many components internally that may be damaged by the 240 volts.

If you do learn that 240 volts is not acceptable to the 208 volt unit, then you can consider using the buck-boost transformer method to reduce the 240 volts down to 208.

Or get a printing press rated for 240 volts.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 10:18 AM

Yep, but the buck-boost method will likely be pricey.

Feb 1, 2010, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Yep, but the buck-boost method will likely be pricey.
    Thanks again for the responses. Have been awesome. However, the buck/boost method is not all that expensive quite frankly. If I went the isolated transformer, then the pricing jumpe close to a grand. The initial methodd is around 400 bucks. And, thank goodness, the manufacturer will accept this method. Really do appreciate everyone's responses.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:09 AM

Great!

There is about 7.5x more copper in the isolation method. My calcs are wrong. I assumed one isolation xformer and one buck-boost. There are variations. So call it 3x more copper, so it's a significant savings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it a 3 phase 208V or 1 phase 208V system? [ 1 Answers ]

From a NEMA L6-30 3-prong connector in the lab, it measures 212V btwn two prongs and 122V btwn any of the two prongs to the third prong. Based on this info alone, is it a 3 phase 208V system or a 1 phase 208 system?

Can three single phase loads be driven individually by single three phase supply [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I am new this community... You are doing great job of knowledge transfer... My question: Can three single phase loads be driven individually by single three phase supply? Please clear my doubt... :confused:

How to go from 200Amps/208V/3 phase to 600Amps/480V/3 phase [ 2 Answers ]

I am starting a business and have equipment that requires 600Amps/480V/3 phase, but the site I want to rent has only 200Amps/208V/3 phase. Is there anything I can do to get the required power on that site? Any equipment I can buy to achieve this goal? I understand it may be costly. Thank you.

208v single phase wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect a 208v single phase appliance to my home circuit panel? I installed a 30amp breaker which has 2 connections, red and black (hot), then I have white (neutral), and green for ground. The device only as 2 connectors not 3, plus ground? Thanks

120v/208v single phase appliance wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased a coffee machine that has the above reqts. I understand that it has 220 and 110v circuits that need power. I also purchased a generator to power this brewer outside. If I use a NEMA L14-30P plug, to connect into the generator, What is the sequence of wiring for the plug three...

View more questions Search