Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HeidiO Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 09:00 PM
    My hubby's in the army & we are going overseas Baby's real dad not on because Can he stop us?
    My husband is not the father of my child but was there for his birth & signed the birth certificate & is supporting him. The baby was born in NC & I live in OH. I was told the birth certificate can't be changed since it's an out of state because. The biological father is asking for a bargian. He says he won't request visitation if I don't request (back) child support but yet refuses to sign over his rights for adoption. He also hasn't been a part of this child's life (for 10 months). My husband's in the army & we're being stationed overseas. I was told (all of this was being told to me by the child support enforcement agency) that the biological father can't have visitation since I will be WAY over 100miles away. Is having military orders enough for the court to grant me permission to take the child overseas & away from his loser father? Is any of this true?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 09:19 PM

He can't really make that deal, ( no judge is going to sign off on it)

He will have to show to the court that he has plans to visit and your moving will effect his ability to see the child.

He being on the birth certificate has nothing to do with it, He merely has to prove he is the father, which sounds like it already happened if there is a court ordered child support.

The child's father can file in court to stop the child from moving overseas, and you will be stopped until there is a hearing,

The fact he has not visited will hurt him, but the fact he used to visit ( sounds like) he can show the court plans to start visit.

Assuming you used to live in another state and moved to OH, and the birth father allowed that without trying to stop you, will also hurt his case.

But yes, he can file to stop you, and has some chance of winning
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jan 29, 2010, 09:35 PM

Why does your husband need to adopt your son if his name is already on the birth certificate? If your ex has no intent to see the child, and you don't plan on going after child support, then I'm not sure why courts need to be involved.

As far as I understand it (which may, very well, be wrong) the name on the birth certificate is considered the legal father unless that is challenged. Has your ex challenged it?
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

Feb 11, 2010, 03:31 AM

I believe that you can petition the court to allow you to move if it comes down to that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living with my baby's mom. It's not going to work, what to do? [ 8 Answers ]

So, me and my girlfriend broke up a week or so ago. We came to an understanding that our relationship is too emotional (we argue all the time), and only good when we get physical (sex has always been good). We live together now and our lease is up at the end of march. Honestly I can't stand her...

Looking for Hubby's Bio Dad [ 4 Answers ]

My wonderful Husband is looking for his biological father. He has a demon for a mother who won't help us at all and has vowed never to help. Needless to say they very seldom talk, last time about five years ago. We know this: Name: DAVE HOLDEN, We believe Dave Holden's father was a Chief of...

Looking for my army dad [ 10 Answers ]

Thank You for stopping and reading this... I am 29 years old looking for my dad I have never seen and all I have is a little bit of information about him. He was in the Army in 1978-79. (the year I was born) I would like to meet him (no hard feelings. I don't think he knows about me). I have...

Marriage with army civilian while overseas [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé is currently in Germany working as an army civilian. We are both Florida residents and I just returned to Florida yesterday. We are trying to figure out the fastest way to get married, if possible, while he is there and I am here? Is this an option or would we have to both be present at...

Can stepmom keep my son every other week while his dad is overseas? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I have shared custody and our son spends one week with each of us, changing every Friday. He is getting deployed to Afghanistan in August for 6 months and he wants the custody rotation to stay the same, even though he won't even be here. He wants his wife, my son's stepmom, to have him...

View more questions Search