Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 11:31 PM
    Bedroom arc fault
    I know that bedroom circuits need to be on an arc fault breaker. If I have a light switch in a bedroom that operates a light outside the bedroom such as an exterior light, does that switch also need to be on an arc fault breaker?

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2006, 02:48 AM
    The switch does not use power but controls it, since the switch controls the bedroom light, and the light needs to be on the ArcFault, then the switch will be also.
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 21, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Actually I think tkrussell misread and missed the fact that the light was outside of the bedroom. As long as there are no other bedroom outlets on the same circuit that this light is on, it would not require AFCI protection, even if there is a switch controlling the light in a bedroom.

The NEC defines an "outlet" as being "A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment." In other words, this would include receptacles, lights, ceiling fans, heaters, etc.
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 10:46 PM
    Thank you,
    So just to be clear...
    If I have a light switch in a bedroom that is for a light that is outside of the bedroom (backyard light) and the circuit is not coming from the bedroom but from another source such as a general lighting circuit, then that light switch does not require to be on an arc fault circuit.
    I understand the definition of an outlet.

Really appreciate the help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2006, 05:59 AM
    Lou you were very clear, my eyes and brain was fuzzy, omzig read much more carefully, and is correct, the switch, even though located in the bedroom, does not need any AFCI protection, only the wiring for those outlets in the bedroom

For now, the entire circuit, from the panel, all the way to the bedroom, needs protection. Sometime in the future, possibly in the 2008 code edition,once a AFCI receptacle device,similar to a GFI outlet, is invented, and approved by UL, the branch circuit feeding the bedroom will not need to be protected.

You had a good question, sorry for misunderstanding at first, I need to drink my coffee first before trying to answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arc welding methods [ 2 Answers ]

I see electric welds with names that leave me wondering if I'm missing out on something I should have in my shop. What do the terms "flux", "mig" etc mean and what are the features of them? Thanks! Lonnie

ARC Breaker troubleshoot. [ 10 Answers ]

I was removing a small Sony cd player in master bedroom. It made a short/ spark, circuit breaker went off. Removed cd player; Went to pannel and turn on /reset breaker for Masterbderoom; I made a mistake by reset the next AFCI breaker which is for bedroom2 (dont know why,may be itchy finger :o )! ...

Is it my fault? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a five month old boy very determined to do everything sooner than expected, that gets very upset when he cannot reach his goals. Or so it seems. At the moment he cries all the time, unless I help him sit up and touch everything he can reach or if we "read" books together. Does not want to be...

ARC fault breakers ? [ 4 Answers ]

I see where the 2005 NEC requires ARC fault breakers on all bedroom circuits,lighting and wall recepticals. It appears that this is for new construction. Would this also apply to rewiring an old house? Thanks in advance. Tom

Arc fault breakers [ 4 Answers ]

I am wiring bedrooms and I know that in California the outlets need to be on an arc fault breaker. 2 questions 1. would there be any problem in wiring a couple of recess lights in the bedrooms on the same circuit with the outlets? 2. There is an outlet in the hallway opposite and outlet in...

View more questions Search