Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miss tyson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 01:45 AM
    Making claim against estate
    Why would an eligible person (adult child of deceased) wait to formalise their claim in NSW? This persons solicitor sent a letter to the executor in October last year advising they wished to make a claim but have not. The deceased passed away mid last year. No one I have spoken to can answer this question!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 04:44 PM

You can't just announce you have a claim you have to bring proof forward. Do you even know what they are trying to claim ?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 05:14 PM

Estate matters generally take a long time to culminate. The attorney is probably taking his time in order to give any claimant plenty of time to come forward. This is standard when dealing with estate attorneys as they really don't get a chance to do over estates once they have been probated. It's easier to do it right the first time. I worked for an estate attorney and he took his sweet old time in probating an estate due to just those reasons.

Having died last summer and notified in October and it's now January-February is par for the course.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Estate matters generally take a long time to culminate. The attorney is probably taking his time in order to give any claimant plenty of time to come forward. This is standard when dealing with estate attorneys as they really don't get a chance to do over estates once they have been probated. It's easier to do it right the first time. I worked for an estate attorney and he took his sweet old time in probating an estate due to just those reasons.

Having died last summer and notified in October and it's now January-February is par for the course.
    If you worked with one. Then how does it work if someone makes a claim ? Don't they have to have some proof with it ? Like they are a child from first marriage nobody was aware of kind of thing or say the decedent had a bill with us and provide proof ?
    miss tyson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 11:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    You can't just announce you have a claim you have to bring proof forward. Do you even know what they are trying to claim ?
    I am one of three a benficiaries, I received a letter from the executor stating that a "Notice of a Potential Claim" was enough to stop the distribution of the estate. I don't know what she is trying to claim. She has until early July to formalise her claim by filing a summons in the supreme court. She is the other daughter of the deceased. Probate was granted long ago, the will is valid, she can apparently claim that the deceased somehow failed her moral obligations by intentionally leaving her out of the will.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 09:52 AM

She can claim any legal basis from untoward influence on up (or down). The estate cannot be settled until all claims, however frivilous, are resolved.

As far as your question, which is why would someone do this - no one knows why anyone does anything when it comes right down to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario, Canada - Establishing paternity and making a claim against father's estate [ 10 Answers ]

I am an adult and would like to make a claim against my deadbeat dad's estate when he dies. His name is not on my birth certificate as he and my mother were both married to others when I was conceived. To the best of my knowledge, in Ontario Canada, paternity must be established while both...

Making A Claim against recently deceased fathers' estate [ 1 Answers ]

I am one of three sisters whose father left us in 1960, and he remarried in the 1970's. He was only in contact with our eldest sister, until dementia made it impossible for her to continue contact. We were told that he had died on 17 August this year, and that he had been cremated with no funeral...

Making Claim [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Could anyone tell me if a can take a builder to cort and claim losses? I had some building work done at my private home, a contract was drawn up, the builder took all the money that was in the contract but didn't finish the work. Subsequently I had to get another builder to complete...

Do I have any claim to grandmothers estate [ 6 Answers ]

My father died in January, 5 or 6 months prior to his death he received his part of his mothers' (my Grandmother) estate. His mother was never told he was dying, my grandfather died of the same thing as dad and we didn't think Grandma's health could take the blow. Since dad left his estate to his...

View more questions Search