Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    owner75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 12:43 AM
    Figuring gains and losses from 1099-a
    If I have no cancellation debts and my outstanding principal is less than the FMV in box 4, do I still have to include schedule D with my return?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 06:48 AM

No, you do not need to include this on your tax return. The 1099-a is for information only. If the FMV had been less than the outstanding principal they would send you a 1099-C to document the amount of foregiveness.

There is one exceptoin - if the outstanding principal of the loan is more than your cost basis in the house then you do have a capital gain, and so would need to report the sale on schedule D, but only if you do not qualify for an exception (that is, if the home was not your princiipal residence, or if you didn't live there at least 2 of the previous 5 years).

Jan 29, 2010, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    No, you do not need to include this on your tax return. The 1099-a is for information only. If the FMV had been less than the outstanding principal they would send you a 1099-C to document the amount of foregiveness.

There is one exceptoin - if the outstanding principal of the loan is more than your cost basis in the house then you do have a capital gain, and so would need to report the sale on schedule D, but only if you do not qualify for an exception (that is, if the home was not your princiipal residence, or if you didn't live there at least 2 of the previous 5 years).
    Thanks, man. Do I have to report this as a sale of my property? I maintain this property until march of 2009 before the bank took over.
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by owner75 View Post
    Thanks, man. do I have to report this as a sale of my property? I maintain this property until march of 2009 before the bank took over.
    Only if you have a gain, AND only if you don't qualify for an exclusion, as described earlier.

Jan 31, 2010, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Only if you have a gain, AND only if you don't qualify for an exclusion, as described earlier.
    The foreclosure process was finally completed in March of 2009. This property was part rental and part residential property. Do I just disregard my expenses related to maintaining this property in 2009? In other words, I had to maintain the property from January to March 2009 until the bank took over. Do I have the right to take a loss using Sch E? I did not get any rents for that short period but had to fork up money to pay for city violations caused by my tenants because they were coming after me hard. Or does the 1099-A mean I'm totally off this property?
    Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 06:56 AM

To be honest I'm a little out of my league on this, BUT it would seem to me that if this is a business property then you would have to report the sale. Don't forget that if you have been taking depreceiaton on the property in previous years your cost basis is reduced by that amount, which makes it more likely that you do have a gain to report. My comments earlier were assuming that the property was personal (first or second home). Your expenses in suport of your business while you owned the propetry (through March) are of course deductible in support of your business expenses, as I'm sure you did in previous years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do IRC 1256 futures gains offset carryover stock losses? [ 2 Answers ]

I have about $20k in stock losses to carry over into 2010, and plan to only trade currency futures this year. I have begun reading on the tax handling of these types of trades and believe in this situation, my best option is to opt out of IRC 1256 for IRC 988, since (I believe) any gains would...

Tax treatment for capital gains and losses for year 2007 [ 6 Answers ]

How to treat gains and losses and offsetting?:confused:

Capital gains and losses [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a loss on the sale of stock. I understand I can only claim 3000 per year. Does this mean I can deduct the entire 3000.00 or is it a percentage of the 3000.00? By the way this is a long term loss.

View more questions Search