NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 10:07 AM
    Ask your pharmacist.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrotTalker View Post
    If you folks look at the previous page, me, J_9, and CravenMorhead were all having a serious discussion about the topic.

I feel that if smoothy had a problem with the bad reputation, he should private message me or a moderator to clarify the rules about reputation. Not try to instigate a flame war in a thread that has been told to stay on topic. Why should I respond to something off-topic on the thread, when a moderator previously said not to? It's the internet folks, take a chill pill.

I have treated several people throughout this thread with respect, I cannot say the same for those people who think there is some "ulterior" motive. If you look at most of my posts, they are thought out and trying to address my questions about the issue. I found a lot of the responses useful and I agreed with most of them, I am not sure why I am being told I find them unacceptable. I would suggest people slowly read the thread over next time and see that I was simply requesting clarification, due to my previous experiences of doctors having no idea!

Just because it is an issue that effects a smaller percentage of men, does not mean it's not an issue that should be discussed. Just because some people don't think its an issue or that it is a very black/white issue, does not mean that is the case.
    You should have been aware of the rules. They are clearly posted. I was making sure you and other newbies reading the thread were aware of them too. You weren't alone in having done that. It benefits YOU by having it pointed out, but it also benefits OTHERS who also weren't aware of it in the future. I and most others here don't PM or Email members we don't have personal information to exchange with.

And most other members here would have the very same problem with an improperly given bad reputation.

And keep in mind... respect does go both ways... if you want it you have to give it as well. Same with atitude, and I detect more than a small amount in that area. As was said.. we are volunteers... we are glad to help.. we are glad to help for free... so check the attitude at the door, and you will likely get a lot less back. This isn't High school or even college and whatever the advice that is needed... you can be rest assured you aren't the first to have experienced it ( and that's meant in the broadest of terms to everyone).

Late edit: This isn't personal... so lets not make it that way and keep it friendly.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 11:13 AM

ENOUGH!

From both of you, enough!

Stick to the topic at hand, or I'll close the thread.
    headraccoon Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2010, 02:05 PM

Put some cotton under the top rim. It should still be tight enough to stay on.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2010, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    There is a good amount of variation between the different condoms. It might be worthwhile to talk to someone at a Adult Store to see what they can get in. As well you might want look into the Female condom as well.

Hope something in that morass of a comment helps.

Why would you recommend that OP speak to a clerk in an adult store as opposed to a Pharmacist with access to many, many brands of condoms, someone who isn't locked into selling only the brand that that particular adult store carries?

On the same topic I don't know why a Physician was uncomfortable discussing this with the OP - I dated a Physician (and relied on him for info for this site many times) and NOTHING surprised or shocked him. He and his friends drew medical diagrams on tablecloths and had conversation during dinner which I couldn't believe. Same with my late husband.

Change Physicians and/or Pharmacists.
    Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 03:30 PM

/shrug

I'd suggested an adult store as well, Judy. Believe it or not, a well stocked, well-managed store will have terrific employees that KNOW their products--and condoms are pretty much a staple at an adult store.

Why is that any less valid than a pharmacist or physician for brand names?

That's like having to ask your doctor or pharmacist for which brand of band-aid to use, and NOT taking the word of a mother of young children which works best for her, in my opinion.
    CarrotTalker Posts: 392, Reputation: 189

Feb 3, 2010, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    On the same topic I don't know why a Physician was uncomfortable discussing this with the OP .
    Me neither, but that was my experience with 2 general physicians and 1 urologist.

:confused:

Wait, not all doctors know everything? :eek:
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 08:11 AM
    Why would you recommend that OP speak to a clerk in an adult store as opposed to a Pharmacist with access to many, many brands of condoms, someone who isn't locked into selling only the brand that that particular adult store carries?
    I have found that superstores, wal-marts, pharmacies, and Sex Shops all have reasonably similar product. I have also found that Sex Shops also carry some different brands, which do vary from store to store. Also, as Synnen mentioned, a well managed Sex Shop will usually have well educated clerks. If they know their product, and they usually do, then they might have equally valid knowledge as well as more of a 'consumer reaction' to their product.

Also, getting information from multiple sources is always preferable to information from a single source. As always these my opinions and advice; your mileage may vary.

On the same topic I don't know why a Physician was uncomfortable discussing this with the OP - I dated a Physician (and relied on him for info for this site many times) and NOTHING surprised or shocked him. He and his friends drew medical diagrams on tablecloths and had conversation during dinner which I couldn't believe. Same with my late husband.
    Different people, different hangups.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    /shrug

I'd suggested an adult store as well, Judy. Believe it or not, a well stocked, well-managed store will have terrific employees that KNOW their products--and condoms are pretty much a staple at an adult store.

why is that any less valid than a pharmacist or physician for brand names?

That's like having to ask your doctor or pharmacist for which brand of band-aid to use, and NOT taking the word of a mother of young children which works best for her, in my opinion.

Because I was married to a Pharmacist why owned Pharmacies - and I don't just defend Pharmacists without cause.

No kickbacks, no push to carry a certain brand, stock gets turned over often, has access to salespeople for many lines, many sizes. I realize condoms are a staple at adult stores. I find the reasons for recommending one brand over another may very well be different - particularly when clerks are on a commission - than a Pharmacist or Doctor.

Likewise when it comes to health products I go to a Doctor or a Pharmacist and ask for recommendations. Yes, I may ask friends and acquaintances but I want to know what is recommended first.

I do find it amusing - and I know it happens - that "people" are reluctant to discuss condoms with Physicians and, apparently, Pharmacists, people with years of training and education, but have no problem asking the same question to a clerk in an adult store. Physicians and Pharmacists (and it isn't important in this case) cannot reveal patient names; ever had the clerk at the local adult store say "hi" to you at the supermarket? I have.

"Who was that?" "Oh, just the clerk at the adult store." "Really?"

Seems backwards to me to ask the Clerk - but, again, I was married to a Doctor of Pharmacy. Same with no embarrassment when speaking to a clerk but the Doctor/Pharmacist would be shocked -

I realize I'm off topic so I'll wave good-bye.

Feb 17, 2010, 06:30 PM

I wanted to provide everyone with an update.

I spoke to a pharmacist today and spoke with two pharmacists (they were not busy).

The pharmacist told me they do not have any type of more "custom sized" or "larger sized" condoms. He would be able to order me something if I knew the brand. He told me they do not have a list of brands or types. (So I would have to know exactly what I needed) He recommended I look at something like consumer reports for their suggestion of condoms.

I will try a few more different pharmacies to see the result, but it's not looking promising so far.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 07:50 PM
    There is always Glad brand Force Flex

Feb 17, 2010, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I believe this was already suggested :D
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrotTalker View Post
    I believe this was already suggested :D
    Oops... must have forgotten about that.

Of course there is this joke...

You can donate half of what you got to some poor genetically disadvantaged sole that has hardly anything in asia... and make two people happy. :D

Actually that's a play on a joke my wife actually uses with her large breasted friends when they complaim about their back, etc...
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 07:47 AM

Would you recommend draw string or the kind with handles that tie? :D

Feb 18, 2010, 06:00 PM

I spoke to another pharmacist today, got the same answer.
    Basically they only carry what is on the shelf, they do not have anything different I could order.

I will try different brands from an online store to see how that works out.

My concern is, does the deep red ring cause some type of damage, since it is restricting blood flow?

Sometimes I felt a deep pain for 10-15 minutes after removing the condom.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 06:10 PM
    I honestly don't think there really isn't a concern... because you aren't leaving it on for hours on end.

Consider the function of C**k rings... which do constrain blood flow for limited periods BY DESIGN with no ill effects.

I still think it might be a low grade sensitivity to the latex... with the increased pressure at that point might be the cause.

And then some people are just hypersensitive to pressure... like elastic in underwear, pants... bra straps etc... I've actually known people like that.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 06:12 PM
    Would you recommend draw string or the kind with handles that tie? :D
    Handles... tie them beind your butt.. and never have to experience the fear and panic of an "OH MY GOD, when did that condom come off :eek:" moment, usually noticed after its too late to have served its function.

And who here (that has been active for more than a couple years anyway) hasn't experienced that at least once.
    Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 06:52 AM
    Handles.....tie them beind your butt..and never have to experience the fear and panic of an "OH MY GOD, when did that condom come off :eek:" moment, usually noticed after its too late to have served its function.

And who here (that has been active for more than a couple years anyway) hasn't experienced that at least once.
    Me. NEVER had the condom come off without taking it off deliberately. Granted, part of the reason it took me YEARS to have an orgasm during sex is directly linked to worrying about (and watching to make sure!) that the condom hadn't fallen off. Hard to orgasm when you can't relax about it :)
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2010, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Me. NEVER had the condom come off without taking it off deliberately. Granted, part of the reason it took me YEARS to have an orgasm during sex is directly linked to worrying about (and watching to make sure!) that the condom hadn't fallen off. Hard to orgasm when you can't relax about it :)
    Seriously?

Hell, over the last 32 years I've been active I remember it happening 4 times... 2 of them it wasn't noticed until after the magic moment.

But I do guess if you were constantly watching you would have caught it right away.

I can say neither of us (different people each time) were focused on that at the time. And there was world class panic usually from HER (I paniced but somewhat less)at that point more often than not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiny, deep hole in my leg, size of a pore with black in it that doesn't come out. [ 2 Answers ]

Ive had this thing on my leg for at least 6 months or more. I can't remember anything happening where it is, so it isn't a result of picking or anything. It's not a black head. It doesn't raise above my skin, it's flat and pretty much just looks like a pencil mark at first. But it's a hole. I've...

How do I achieve this hair color - deep red blackish [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I dyed my hair like this picture 7 years ago. At that time, my hair was virgin darkest brown hair and I used L'oreal Intense Copper to get this look. It was successful. http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7338/besthaircolor01nf0.jpg...

Ring Size . [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I bought a ring that was too big... yeah that's right.. I'm that dumb... ok so here is my question... roughly how much should it cost me to get it resized OR... I have another band that she likes... Can somewhere just stitch the bands and stones??

Red spot on base of penis [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm a virgin and one of the unlucky guy who have fordcyes, but also a few weeks ago I noticed a red spot on the base of my penis about halfway up. It looks similar to an ordinary spot, like you would get on your face. It soon went and a few days later, then another one appeared. Im hopeing this...

Condom size [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone I do the best I can to try and practice safe sex if the opportunity ever presents itself but I have yet to find a condom that fits. I have used them all, the regular size and the small size and every single one just slips right off even when I'm erect. I don't even need to stretch...

View more questions Search