Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 07:22 AM
    Well, since you CAN put a regular size condom over your head without it breaking... ever see the comic skits?

Hell, to get a laugh I put my arm in one once... and I'm NOT a small guy.

Maybe its actually more about a low grade sensitivity to latex.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 10:01 AM

Can we PLEASE treat this like a real question?

Yes, you can get your whole head or arm into a condom--they ARE stretchy. Rubber bands are stretchy too. I once took a rubber band and stretched it by hooking one end under my toes and the other end stretched above my head with my hands.

It STILL left a red ring around my wrist when I put it there later.

Stretchy doesn't mean it's not going to be tight around an appendage when allowed to relax down to the size of that appendage.

Any FURTHER attempts to not treat this as a serious question will be removed.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 10:09 AM
    Please don't think that I am making light of your situation, quite the opposite. However, the latex sensitivity may be on target here.

Just a thought form the critical thinking skills of a registered nurse, so bear with me, okay.

The sheath of the condom is thin, very thin. While the base of the condom is thicker in comparison and "rolled."

It is very possible that since the base of your penis comes in contact with a higher grade/percentage of latex that you may be developing an allergy. Latex allergies develop over time, typically with long term use. Many nurses and doctors get latex allergies simply by wearing latex gloves on a daily basis.

Now this may NOT be the problem here, but it is worth a thought.

Has this always happened to you or is this a newer occurrence?
    CarrotTalker Posts: 392, Reputation: 189

Feb 1, 2010, 10:52 AM

J_9, I appreciate your mature response. I can tell its critical thinking, not something else.

I was thinking it could be a latex allergy, I previously looked up some of the symptoms and felt they did not portray my situation. Such as a skin rash (similar to poison ivy), hypersensitivity, or bee sting like reactions.
    I could very well be missing some though.

I felt it was generally due to tightness/restricted blood flow.

I use latex gloves on occasion, such as when cleaning around the house (I find dust gives me allergic reactions), and I haven't noticed any type of reaction to the gloves.

This red ring has kind of always happened, its complicated, let me explain below:

I was never sexually active until the past 1-2 years.
    I thought I had a condition called phimosis for years (just the thought of the pain makes me cringe), but I went to my pediatrician about it (as a teen) and a urologist (because I started to get Urinary Tract Infections), both of them said NOTHING was wrong!! (This taught me doctors/adults/people don't always know all the answers)

Finally, after research on my own and some discussions with my girlfriend at the time, I decided to see another urologist. (Since I was getting UTI's again and the pain was high). He determined after a few evaluations that I did indeed have Phimosis and performed a circumcision.

Over about 6 months, as my body healed, the red ring situation became more and more prevalent, I assume because I could now stretch more than before.

I know this is almost TMI (Too much Information!), but I figured it would be an interesting read for you.

As a side note, I spoke about my experience with a few close friends, one of them said he was experiencing similar pain, and said he would get evaluated too.
    Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 11:06 AM
    CT... It's never TMI for me. The more the better.

Now, I did miss the part where you were uncircumcised until recently.

Between you and I... and the whole world, my husband jokes that he's not very long but "bigger around than a can of corn." It's not private info, it's a guy thing he tells all his friends.

I do want to commend you on trying to stay STD free and prevent pregnancy. It's very admirable this day and age.

I am also very impressed that you are your own advocate for your own health. If I trusted all doctors before I became a nurse, I'd be dead now due to breast cancer. Always do your own research, and find a doctor that will listen.

I will be honest with you in that I don't know too much about condoms because I have been in 2 relationships... both men I've been married to.

Is this something you feel comfortable discussing with your urologist?

Feb 1, 2010, 11:27 AM

I didn't mention the uncircumcised until recently simply because it wasn't too relavent at the time.

I would have no reserves talking to the urologist about it, but I moved away from the area he was in.

I still think the best option is to try different brands and look into more "custom" sized options.

Thanks for your feedback :)
    Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 11:34 AM
    I really wish I could help you more. To be perfectly honest, and as a medical professional this is quite embarrassing, I did not realize that there was that much of a difference in size of condoms... see me blush and open my textbooks again.

Feb 1, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I really wish I could help you more. To be perfectly honest, and as a medical professional this is quite embarrassing, I did not realize that there was that much of a difference in size of condoms........see me blush and open my textbooks again.
    Don't feel bad :D But at least we learned something new today.

If you look at the Condom Size Chart that hheath541 posted. Scroll to the length and circumference data, this isn't quite an issue that comes up for the majority of people.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I really wish I could help you more. To be perfectly honest, and as a medical professional this is quite embarrassing, I did not realize that there was that much of a difference in size of condoms........see me blush and open my textbooks again.
    I can tell you stories, while I might not be as well hung as CT here, I have a greater girth then most it would seem.

I started with Normal sized condoms, because I was new and my Ex-wife wasn't on BC yet. Yea... for the two weeks I had to do that, it wasn't fun. I was getting much the same results that CT was having. The bloody things were so tight that they would cut off circulation to my penis. I had the red ring and by time I was done, and she was as well, it was the colouring of my penis was off.

She then went off BC and we tried the Trojan Large. They worked well. They would fit nicely, and snugly on my penis. I wasn't getting any marks on my penis for the most part. The problem with putting them in a balloon type object is that the constriction, as small as it might be, is enough to cause some slight discolouration after a half-hour or so.

I have been using the Trojan Magnum XLs and they have been working wonders. They are thin enough to a good amount of sensation, but have a good amount of protection as well.

There is a good amount of variation between the different condoms. It might be worthwhile to talk to someone at a Adult Store to see what they can get in. As well you might want look into the Female condom as well.

Hope something in that morass of a comment helps.
    Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrotTalker View Post
    Don't feel bad :D But at least we learned something new today.

If you look at the Condom Size Chart that hheath541 posted. Scroll to the length and circumference data, this isn't quite an issue that comes up for the majority of people.
    Not to change the subject... but you should see some of the boy babies I've delivered! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 06:21 PM
    CarrotTalker disagrees: The rate of condom breakage for correctly used condoms was 1.34% and of slippage 2.05%, with a total failure rate of 3.39%. penis circumference and broken condoms were strongly correlated, with larger sizes increasing the rate of breakage.

Well, if you are going to break the rules regarding Reddies... I'd like to know where those stats come from and how they relate to the comment I posted. Manhandle a ballon and it will break upon intion... treat it right and it will stay inflated until the air leaks out days later.

More break from mishandling and poor storage than defect.

And unless you are a real needled*k. Condoms do fit quite snuggly. Or they would slip off all too frequently.

Feb 1, 2010, 07:48 PM
    Let's follow Synnen's advice and "Can we PLEASE treat this like a real question?"

See post #22: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/adult-...ml#post2206104
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 1, 2010, 07:54 PM

Wikipedia is not seen as a reliable resource for anything other than pop culture. Anyone can edit the site and add, subtract, or change any data they want to.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 05:47 AM
    Let's follow Synnen's advice and "Can we PLEASE treat this like a real question?"

AND you have not responded to your violation of board rules pertaining to "Reddies"

You posted a reddie for a persopnal opinion... which is against the rules. Only for factualy incorrect advice. I posted NO factually incorrect information in that post I made. Prove otherwise. I have 3,136 posts here, I take every one of them seriously... you have 57.

A simple. "I'm sorry, I will be more careful in the future" from you would have been an appropriate response. Not a dodge.

And I do take a personal affront to that, particularly since you dodged the issue rather than responding.

Or is this really about something else other than a real and serious post as some others already suspect?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 06:19 AM

Good idea asking pharmacist. They actually know more about medicine then some doctors I have met !

Tick
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 06:53 AM

This goes for you too, though. People are trying to help you, and treating them nicely goes a long way towards getting good advice. Smoothy is correct that "disagrees" are given only for factually incorrect advice--giving one for an opinion is against site rules.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 09:00 AM

What I can't understand is this thread re condoms has be answered by several really exceptional forum experts and it is still on going.

Maybe OP doesn't find the information he has received acceptable in any way, which I think is strange.

I have never known a man who can't source his own condoms correctly. So you are well endowed and need something bigger. Ask your pharmacist as Judy suggested.

And please follow the rules here. We are all volunteers putting in our valuable time to help people out.

Tick
    Chameleon Posts: 154, Reputation: 17

Feb 2, 2010, 09:18 AM

My poor husband has the same problem... hmmm maybe that's why I'm 13 weeks pregnant.
    Chameleon Posts: 154, Reputation: 17

Feb 2, 2010, 09:42 AM

Question... are you with a single sex partner or do you have multiple partners? The reason I ask is because if you have a single sex partner, maybe you could try female condoms. Just a suggestion:) Also, it does look like you were right about the durex xxl being a smaller width.

Feb 2, 2010, 09:57 AM
    If you folks look at the previous page, me, J_9, and CravenMorhead were all having a serious discussion about the topic.

I feel that if smoothy had a problem with the bad reputation, he should private message me or a moderator to clarify the rules about reputation. Not try to instigate a flame war in a thread that has been told to stay on topic. Why should I respond to something off-topic on the thread, when a moderator previously said not to? It's the internet folks, take a chill pill.

I have treated several people throughout this thread with respect, I cannot say the same for those people who think there is some "ulterior" motive. If you look at most of my posts, they are thought out and trying to address my questions about the issue. I found a lot of the responses useful and I agreed with most of them, I am not sure why I am being told I find them unacceptable. I would suggest people slowly read the thread over next time and see that I was simply requesting clarification, due to my previous experiences of doctors having no idea!

Just because it is an issue that effects a smaller percentage of men, does not mean it's not an issue that should be discussed. Just because some people don't think its an issue or that it is a very black/white issue, does not mean that is the case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiny, deep hole in my leg, size of a pore with black in it that doesn't come out. [ 2 Answers ]

Ive had this thing on my leg for at least 6 months or more. I can't remember anything happening where it is, so it isn't a result of picking or anything. It's not a black head. It doesn't raise above my skin, it's flat and pretty much just looks like a pencil mark at first. But it's a hole. I've...

How do I achieve this hair color - deep red blackish [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I dyed my hair like this picture 7 years ago. At that time, my hair was virgin darkest brown hair and I used L'oreal Intense Copper to get this look. It was successful. http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7338/besthaircolor01nf0.jpg...

Ring Size . [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I bought a ring that was too big... yeah that's right.. I'm that dumb... ok so here is my question... roughly how much should it cost me to get it resized OR... I have another band that she likes... Can somewhere just stitch the bands and stones??

Red spot on base of penis [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm a virgin and one of the unlucky guy who have fordcyes, but also a few weeks ago I noticed a red spot on the base of my penis about halfway up. It looks similar to an ordinary spot, like you would get on your face. It soon went and a few days later, then another one appeared. Im hopeing this...

Condom size [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone I do the best I can to try and practice safe sex if the opportunity ever presents itself but I have yet to find a condom that fits. I have used them all, the regular size and the small size and every single one just slips right off even when I'm erect. I don't even need to stretch...

View more questions Search