Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quin270 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
    How to Evict a House Guest
    Ihave a female non paying hostile roommate that was allowed to stay here.which is now going on 14 months because of the employment situation, which in turn allowed her to go to college to get a diploma in computers, she now is working as a full time waitress full time since the third week of October. Is making approxmately 250/300 weekly or more has refused to give me a dime, is verbally abusive to the point of disgust and has stolen money from me of which I have picture proof I want to remove her from the premises, so I can find another roommate to share the expenses I have giving her numerous methods to pay me to no avail what are my legal rights, can I just give her two weeks noticc, lock her out and change the locks,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2010, 03:20 PM

After 14 months she is no longer a house guest. She is a resident. That means she has to be evicted according to local laws. And, for some reason you didn't tell us where you are so we don't know what laws apply.

Go to your local housing court and get the rules. DO NOT change the locks as that will constitute an illegal eviction and give her the upper hand.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 03:24 PM

And unless she moves out on her own before, or after going to housing court they evict her, you can not ever just "change the locks"-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My house guest won't leave [ 3 Answers ]

I invited my friend of 10 + years and her daughter to move in with me while she find a job and a house (she was evicted from her apartment). A year + later, she still at my house without no job. I asked her to leave 7 months ago, and she still has not moved out. I just sent her a certified letter...

Evicting a house guest? [ 5 Answers ]

Approximately 2 months ago I opened up my home to my ex (father of my youngest child) Due to the fact I worked in California and was living in Ga. He was just getting a divorce and looking for a new start so I figured we could help one another out. He moved in from Fl. We never signed a lease...

How do I evict a house guest who refuses to leave? [ 4 Answers ]

My friend agreed to let her ex-husband stay with her for a couple of weeks so that he could "get on his feet". He has been there now for almost two months and now refuses to leave. When she called the police they told her to file an eviction with the court. She is worried that if he does not...

Being a guest in my own house [ 5 Answers ]

Okay so I haven't been on her in awhile cause everything is going good pretty much except for living with my family. I guess you could say I'm the outkast of the family :( my brother and mom and my moms loud mouth irrogant boyfriend all drink till they can't stand everyday right at about 5...

How do you evict a guest or a person who took over possession [ 7 Answers ]

My son and his girlfriend moved in. she was pregnant and she had a fight with her mom.. I told my son she could only stay till she found another place to stay. At least 1 month or 2 at the most. This ended up being 9 months. I want them all out. I love my grand child but.. they have taken over my...

View more questions Search