Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
    A Computer Has Been Left Out in Freezing Weather. Will It Be Unusable?
    Hi, All!

If a computer has been left out in freezing weather, will that make it unusable, even after it's been warmed up?

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 28, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Should be fine as long as it hasn't got wet.
    Bring it in and leave it to acclimatise for a few days.
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 03:08 PM
    I brought the old one from my home over to here to where I'm house and dog-sitting. Got tired and forgot to bring it in from the truck last night.

Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 03:09 PM

Depends. Cold weather by itself is no issue. The problem is that when you bring the cold PC back inside, and it is suddenly exposed to warm, moist air, you will get condensation forming on the cold surfaces inside the PC. This water could cause damage to sensitive electronics. My advice is that before bringing it inside, put it in a sealed plastic bag (so that moist air can't get to the PC while it's still cold) and don't open the bag for several hours. You might also "stage" it's reentry to normal temps - perhaps put it in the garage first for several hours before bringing it inside.
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
    I'm going to bring it in and let it sit for awhile. I'll do that with it being in a plastic garbage bag.

Thanks!
    Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 03:15 PM

I should have made this clear - you want the air inside that bag to be cold, dry, outside air. So leave the bag outside for at least several minutes before puttting the PC in. Good luck!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 03:33 PM
    I would want the condensation to evaporate i.e.. No bag.
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 03:35 PM
    Bag, no bag. Now I'm confused...
    Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I would want the condensation to evaporate ie. no bag.
    NK: the purpose of the bag is to prevent condensation in the first place. You are correct that IF there is condensation you should let device air out (not in a bag). But hopefully that won't happen.

BTW - if you ever take a camera outside on a really cold day, this trick works great. Keeps the lens from fogging up when you bring the camera inside.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 08:00 AM

Craig,

I would be concerned that the, "Intense Cold" may have killed the batteries. Cold can be a serious villain.

When you start up the laptop, do so with the laptop connected to the power brick.

Once the PC is up and running, remove the power brick and see how she does.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 10:56 AM
    Well, the computer has now been sitting on the kitchen table for many hours.

After I hook it up, I'll let you all know how it works! (If it works!) It was really freezing weather out there! Single digits!

Thanks for the information about the batteries, Don! It is a desktop computer, though.

I wish that I had a laptop...
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 11:02 AM

Clough,

Some desktops will have a battery in it to protect static flash over a prolonged power outtage.

Don
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Clough,

Some desktops will have a battery in it to protect static flash over a prolonged power outtage.

Don
    What is static flash, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 11:19 AM
    He means the CMOS battery that remembers the BIOS settings and the computer date and time amongst other things. You don't have to worry about it... until you notice that the computer time is not keeping up.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    He means the CMOS battery that remembers the BIOS settings and the computer date and time amongst other things. You don't have to worry about it...until you notice that the computer time is not keeping up.
    You guys are getting over my head here!

So, the battery is only for things like the BIOS and clock?

If something happens to the battery and someone installs another one, will things be okay?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Yup.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 02:05 PM
    Just so you know here...

I'm now using the really old computer that was frozen! It appears to be working fine!

Thanks!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 11:17 PM

I didn't post but was watching this. Glad you got it all worked out. I actually found where someone put a computer out where the garbage is, sitting up on a big stone. There was no other garbage. I'm half suspecting they expected someone to take it. So I took it. But it had been sitting out in the cold. Haven't tried it yet, but who knows what all is wrong with it anyway, but I might get some parts out of it.

I once had a battery die. I've only seen that once. That was an old DOS computer and it did some weirdo things, among which was that it wouldn't boot straight into DOS like it was supposed to cause it wasn't seeing the setting to look. So I had to go through some setup thing manually until I could get a new battery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pool care in freezing weather [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased a property which has an in-ground pool, so we are new to pool care. If it gets below freezing, do we need to run the pump continuously? Any other precautions we need to take if it freezes? Thanks!

Weather-what is the difference between sleet and freezing rain? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between sleet and freezing rain?

Garden Hose Left Hooked Up Outside in Freezing Weather [ 2 Answers ]

I saw today that our garden hose was hooked up to the outdoor faucet even though there is several inches of snow on the ground. So I thought I better unhook it. I had to run a quick errand so I asked my wife to look up a way to remove a frozen hose. I came back and she had poured hot water...

Computer Freezing: [ 1 Answers ]

The student records department of a well-known TAFE institute is having problems with its computer system. The system is on a network running under the Windows NT operating system and has been developed using a combination of Microsoft Access and Visual Basic. The following areas are causing...

Computer freezing - tried everything... [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry if this post is supposed to be somewhere specific... I just need some quick suggestions because I'm going crazy. Here's my setup, my problem and what I've done to "fix" the problem: Home built machine... WinXP Pro SP-2 2.6 GHz P4 w/HT Asus P4P800-E Deluxe 2 GB DDR400 Kingston RAM...

View more questions Search