Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2010, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Newguy2009 View Post
    Im hoping a lawyer might be able to find something that I havent, like possible abandonment
    Hello new:

As you've learned, there's NOTHING you can do, except grin and bear it. But, I thought I read where this is an "investment" for you, and now I see that you're willing to walk away. That might be the best solution. I wouldn't keep an investment that's (1) worth LESS than I paid, and (2) my partner isn't paying her half, but WILL get HALF of everything I make, if I ever make anything.

Maybe I should rephrase what I said above. It may NOT be the BEST thing for you to do, but it certainly might be the best thing for your ex girlfriend to THINK you're going to do. Of course, she'll be sued along with you, and her credit will be ruined too. Maybe the threat of THAT happening might bring her to her senses.

Or it might not.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 09:31 AM
    ... She won't sign a quit claim deed because she says she will still be on the loan. ...
    That, to put it bluntly, is her problem.

If she won't voluntarily quitclaim to you, you can sue her for breach of an implied contract with you that she would make half the payments. You would be asking the court to award you title, of course subject to the bank's mortgage.

The bank would be unaffected because they would still have the right to foreclose, or to proceed against both of you in the event of default.
    Newguy2009 Posts: 183, Reputation: 57

Mar 12, 2010, 12:12 PM

Thanks AK, I believe this is the answer I was looking for. Im going to put off some of the lesser priorities in my life to go see a real estate attorney.

You know its funny, I am studying to be a paralegal with emphasis on real estate law, I just haven't got to those classes yet. I guess when I get to that section in class I might be prepared. Thanks so much for your input!

Mar 17, 2010, 08:44 AM

Ok, so I just returned from the base legal office (they offer free consultations to certain members) and unfortunately they do not go too much into real estate but the lawyer I talked to gave me some options.

His first suggestion was to give her a notarized letter that I would promise to continue making payments if she signs the deed. Maybe this would make her feel more at ease about signing the document. If that didn’t work, I could offer her a bribe(I don’t think this will work because she is not about money.)

He referred me to the Florida bar where I could get a 30 min consultation for $25. At that point I could speak to a Real Estate attorney and see about suing for breach of contract. Estimated ballpark $5-6k so that’s not too feasible for me right now.

I guess my question is, should I see the lawyer first and see what he has to say or try the promise letter first? It’s been 2 months since I have spoken to her so she may be calm enough to approach. What do you all think?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2010, 09:11 AM

Hello again, New:

Couple things.

If it were me, I would NEVER take myself off the deed to a property as long as I was OBLIGATED to pay for it. She'll NEVER do that no matter how many notarized letters you prepare, and I don't blame her, either. Besides, she already KNOWS you're going to make the payments. You're living there, for crying out loud.

Plus, if you DO manage to get her to sign a quitclaim deed, as soon as you record it, the bank will most likely call in your loan. They WANT her living there.

In my view, AK's suggestion is best, and costs the most. My solution, however, is pretty cheap. You could do one, and if it didn't work, you could still do the other.

excon
    Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Plus, if you DO manage to get her to sign a quitclaim deed, as soon as you record it, the bank will most likely call in your loan. They WANT her living there.

In my view, AK's suggestion is best, and costs the most. ...
    Actually, my suggestion was to in effect force her to "sign" a QC. It would amount to the same thing. Check the terms of your mortgage, but I doubt that a QC subject to the bank's interest would violate it. An in any case,
    -recorded deeds and the like don't just pop up on some banker's computer screen - someone would have to request a title report for some reason.
    -in this current economic climate banks aren't looking for excuses to foreclose payiing, upside-down loans. So even if the bank became aware of it (unlikely), and even it they had the legal right to do so (doubtful), I don't see them doing anything about it.

Mar 18, 2010, 10:34 AM

Well in any case, I get paid next week so Im going to see a realestate attorney and see what they have to say. I don't forsee her voluntarily signing the deed over to me.

Apr 10, 2010, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    If she won't voluntarily quitclaim to you, you can sue her for breach of an implied contract with you that she would make half the payments. You would be asking the court to award you title, of course subject to the bank's mortgage.
    Went and saw a real estate attorney on Thursday. I can't sue her as we entered into this contract together. Not 50/50, but as a partition. The problem is there is nothing in writing that says she would make half of the payments

Where do you get this information. can you reference a case? I have Lexis Nexis access
    Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 08:39 PM
    ... Where do you get this information.? can you reference a case? I have Lexis Nexis access
    No, I have no specific "information". It's my opinion as to what a judge might be persuaded to decide. One line of questioning for the two of you, were such a case go to trial, would go something like this:

"Did the two of you discuss which of you would make the the payments?"

[If so,] "what was the plan?"

"Who paid the mortgage when you were living together?"
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 06:39 AM
    No, I have no specific "information". It's my opinion as to what a judge might be persuaded to decide. One line of questioning for the two of you, were such a case go to trial, would go something like this:

"Did the two of you discuss which of you would make the the payments?"

[If so,] "what was the plan?"

"Who paid the mortgage when you were living together?"
    I thought this was the legal answer (?):

That, to put it bluntly, is her problem.

The bank would be unaffected because they would still have the right to foreclose, or to proceed against both of you in the event of default.
    Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I thought this was the legal answer ...[/I]
    It is.

The lawyer he went to disagrees with my answer evidently. It happens.

I'm not willing to do extensive research though. Sorry.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
    It is.

The lawyer he went to disagrees with my answer evidently. It happens.

I'm not willing to do extensive research though. Sorry.

Just for the record I didn't ask you to do "extensive research." I wondered why your opinions differed so greatly.
    Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Just for the record I didn't ask you to do "extensive research." I wondered why your opinions differed so greatly.
    No, you didn't. OP did though:

... Where do you get this information.? can you reference a case? I have Lexis Nexis access
    I was addressing Newguy when I wrote that about research.

Now, as to why our opinions differ? I don't precisely understand what the other lawyer's opinion is:

... I can't sue her as we entered into this contract together. not 50/50, but as a partition. The problem is there is nothing in writing that says she would make half of the payments
    What is meant by "as a partition"? Sure, he could sue her for partition, but I honestly don't know what they mean by "entered into [a] contract... as a partition". My suggestion was that OP sue her on the basis of an "implied" contract, not an explicit (albeit oral) contract. In other words, the court should arrive at a default 50/50 agreement if it is determined that they simply never thought that far ahead, but didn't contemplate that he would make all the payments. I'd love to be somewhere in the courtroom if she tries to, with a straight face, testify that she did think that. :)

Actually, it doesn't have to be 50/50. If the implied contract is that she pay something every month, she has breached that obligation, and one remedy would be to deny her the "benefit of the bargain", to wit: an interest in the realty.

This is where finding precedent would indeed be helpful. But, as I suggested, I am not willing to find it for him, free of charge.

Apr 12, 2010, 07:00 AM
    What is meant by "as a partition"? Sure, he could sue her for partition, but I honestly don't know what they mean by "entered into [a] contract ... as a partition".
    Because the house cannot be physically split in half. She could sue me based on partition and force me to sell. I am told there is no defense for this. I doubt she would do this because she would have to pay a retainer and she will still be half responsible for the difference we owe.

Actually, it doesn't have to be 50/50. If the implied contract is that she pay something every month, she has breached that obligation, and one remedy would be to deny her the "benefit of the bargain", to wit: an interest in the realty.

Unfortunately there was no agreement as to "her paying half". We agreed to pay. They (the bank) don't care who pays what percentage.
    Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 03:44 PM
    Unfortunately there was no agreement as to "her paying half". ...
    Yes, I know. Read the link I gave you about an "implied" contract". It's for those cases in which the parties didn't agree but (had they thought about it) would have. The court provides reasonable contractual terms when the parties failed to.

... they (the bank) dont care who pays what percentage.
    Obviously. But you should.

Jun 23, 2010, 12:44 PM
    I have decided to stop making payments and go into foreclosure. About 2 months ago I got her to agree to sign a quit claim deed and she backed out 3 weeks later. I had it done up and sent to her and everything. I told her a month ago, when she refused to sign the deed I would stop making payments. I am now 23 days late. I haven't heard from her and I plan to stick to my decision. Yea, my credit is going to go to sh#$ but hey, you WIN some and you LOSE some, right?
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2010, 01:43 PM

Apparently - right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If moved overseas in the military can you stop your car loan [ 4 Answers ]

I am PCSing to Germany and was wondering if I could give the car back to the loan company? I have been paying on the car for over two years now and can not take it to Germany.

My ex girlfriend has already moved on. How do I? [ 4 Answers ]

Everyone has a story, so here is mine.. I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but to fully embrace the scenario this I must describe the relationship with my first love. How it all started: Jan 08. One week before my first deployment to Iraq, some friends and I went downtown to drink...

Girlfriend temporarily moved out [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 3 years has moved 5 minutes down the road to her mothers house, where her grandma is "supposedly" dying of copd and enphyzema. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I say supposedly because she has been coping with this illness for years and years. It has gotten a little worse lately,...

Girlfriend broke up with me, moved back home with family and wants to figure things [ 36 Answers ]

Please read this so you get a view of the entire pic. Thank you and God bless! My girlfriend and I just recently broke up. I am 25 and she is 23. We met in college as I was finishing up my college career. We were friends for a bit before we got romantically involved. At first I did not want...

My boyfriend's ex-girlfriend moved back [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriends ex just moved back to Michigan and she keeps calling him and trying to get his kids to want her to come back into his life and I am not really sure what to do about it. He swears up and down I have nothing to worry about but I don't if I should believe that or not... what should I...

View more questions Search