Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anattorneyquest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 12:17 PM
    When giving an attorney in Florida a retainer, is any unused amount refundable?
    My daughter was seeking the aid of an attorney in Florida to begin procedures for an uncontested divorce. She gave a $3000 retainer in June and in October decided not to proceed with the divorce. Other than the initial visit and filling out some paperwork in June 2008, she has not had any other discussions nor received any accounting or paperwork from the attorney. She has made numerous requests to get an accounting of what had been done on her behalf from the attorney and for a return of any unused retainer. Is it normal practice for the attorney to say that the retainer is non refundable and to not account for any work performed?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 02:11 PM

No that doesn't sound normal. A retainer is for fees that are about to be made. Does the paperwork say non refundable ?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 02:22 PM

No. You should have beed provided costs and time.

At x,y,z event he would have spent x,y,z money. After each event cost, his retainer for that cost is spent is not refundable.
    anattorneyquest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 02:26 PM
    The agreement he had her sign did say non refundable but he kept telling her that since this is going to be non-contested that it "should only take a couple of hours work plus the filing fees, so this will be the cheapest divirce in history". She felt he was indicating to her that it could only cost her a few hundred dollars, especially since the divorce papers were never filed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 03:38 PM

It sounds like it is non refundable, he never did say she would get it back, ( only hinted it was cheap) and to be honest 3000 is pretty cheap for an attorney.

She can if she wants file a complaint with the state Bar association, and ask for mediation on this issue.
    But if the paper work she signed said non refundable, I don't see where it will be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car dealer not giving me the title after paying the amount [ 25 Answers ]

Hi,I have purchased a car HYUNDAI and even after giving the complete payment, some with cash and also with check, but even after 3 months the dealer has not given me the title.I have complained with the DMV and surrendered the car to the Jersey city police and came to know that the dealer has not...

Unused portion of retainer [ 6 Answers ]

If there is still significant money left over from a retainer once a family law case is settled, will it be returned to the client or is it still kept by the attorney? (I apologize if this was not the correct place to post this but I was unsure of what was most appropriate, and since it's a...

Amount of Pet Deposit in California & is it refundable? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a landlord & I want to know the pet deposit amount for a chiuaua & a labrador & are they refundable in California

View more questions Search