Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cncgimenez Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 12:12 PM
    Hampton bay remote not quite working
    Hello, I have two Hampton Bay fans with lights. They were probably intalled in 2001, I have never had any problems until just a couple days ago. When I dim the lights, they will only go to about 50 percent and then they shut off completely. They will turn back on once they are over 60 percent but that is about as dim a I can get them. Also, when I dim them to 60-70 percent the lights flicker. The real funny thing is that both fan units started doing this at the same time. I have installed new batteries, hit the reset button on the back of the remote, and basically I'm stumped. Both units are the same, everything works except when I try to dimm the lights bellow 50%... Hmmm.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 06:39 PM

Are you dimming using a remote or is there a dimmer on the wall? If on the wall,what type or brand.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 10:11 PM

I second B's question, and also, what type of bulbs are you using?

Jan 30, 2010, 05:42 PM
    I am using the remote to dim the lights. There is no dimmer on the wall. The bulbs are regular incandescent types. I'm wondering if it is a glitch in the remote, it's just strange that they both started acting up at the same time.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 06:21 PM

Perhaps a power surge fried both receivers.

Feb 1, 2010, 05:13 PM

Perhaps, but wouldn't that render the remotes completely useless? I can control the fan speed/direction and dim /brighten the lights so long as they are not dimmed past 50%...
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 08:21 PM

Remote receivers are very strange and irreliable things. Since both fans failed at the same time, I doubt it is the remotes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan remote stopped working, 3 of them! [ 2 Answers ]

I had a party at my home last night. We have three remotes for three ceiling fans. 1. living room remote, 2. den remote, 3. bedroom remote. 1. Our living room ceiling fan remote got a baloon string wrapped in it and started making a noise and shaking. I plan on removing the string no big...

Hampton Bay remote no longer working [ 2 Answers ]

My remote control just stopped working the lights and fan. Batteries are not the problem. Light switches are on and the red light comes on the remote but fan and lights don't work. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Hampton Bay remote quit working [ 4 Answers ]

The light on the fan was turned off by the switch on the wall. After that the remote quit working. How do I fix it? Do I need to replace the sensor in the fan? Looking forward to reading your answers. Tracy

Hampton Bay remote control quit working [ 1 Answers ]

Help---our power was out for about 4 hours and when it came back on the light and fan was running--it was off before power went off. Now we cannot get the remote to turn on or off the fan or light. Is there a reset switch? Any suggestions?:confused:

Hampton Bay Fan Remote Not Working [ 2 Answers ]

:) Hi, I purchased a fan less than a year ago and the sensor on the remote seems to have gotten some kind of glitch. The little red sensor light stays on continuously, instead of going out after pressing a function. When I shut off the fan, and go to put the remote down, it starts up in high...

View more questions Search