Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    200904264 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 09:57 AM
    a parabola with directrix at x=3 and focus at f{1,-1},find its equation
    i want to know the steps to follow so that i can know how to solve simillar questions.what is the value of p,how do i know that.
    200904264 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 10:03 AM

the squation is (y+1)^2=4(x-2) and p=1,that is according to my understanding.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2010, 11:46 AM

The directrix and the focus are the same distance from the vertex.

So, the parabola opens to the left and has vertex at (2,-1).

Therefore, it has the form

Where p is the distance from the focus to the vertex or from the vertex to the directrix. Thus, p=1, h=2 and k=-1.

So, its equation is

Attached Images

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 12:14 PM

First thing is to recognize that if the directrix is defined by x = 3, this means the parabola is "lieing on its side" and the standard formula is of the form:

where is the vertex and is the distance from vertex to directrix, (which also happens to be the distance from the vertex to the focus of the parabola). So now you need to determine the coordinates of the vertex. Because the vertex is midway between the directrix line (x = 3) and focus (1,-1), it is at , or (2,-1). These are the coordinates for . The distance between the vertex and the directrix is then 2-3 = -1. Note that this is a negative value, because the vertex is to the left of the directrix, which means that the parabola opens up to the left. So the value to use for is -1. Hence the formula is:

Note that if you had been told that the directrix was y = something, that would mean that the parabola is of the form , with positive if the focus is above the directrix, and negative if the focus is below the directrix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parabola, using the focus and directrix to determine the equation [ 2 Answers ]

I am having difficulty determining the equation for a parabola when the focus is given, and the directrix is given. For example, Focus at (-2, 2) and directrix y= -2. I believe I use the distance formula, however, the distance formula states you need to points X1, Y1, and X2, Y2. I am not...

Find equation of a parabola given the vertex and directrix [ 1 Answers ]

What is the equation of a parabola with a vertex at (4,8) and a directrix at y=5? I calculated the distance from the vertex to the directrix as p=3. my answer key says p=6. I cannot see were I went wrong. Can anyone provide some guidance? If p=3 is correct then the equation would be: ...

Find vertex, parabola, directrix of the parabola equation [ 1 Answers ]

Find the Vertex, Focus, Directrix of the parabola equation: x-(y^2)+4y-2=0

View more questions Search