Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jamavo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 10:14 PM
    240 V 60Hz 3 wire Jacuzzi, want to wire through attic (California)
    Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing an outdoor jacuzzi spa. I have picked the spot I would like to place it and have the general knowledge what to do, but I want to make sure that it is safe and up to code.

Are there any type of special procedures I need to do to route my wiring for the 220 volt through the attic of my home and down the exterior of the wall I would like it placed? Any type of special spacing or shielding I should be aware of?

Also, I used to own a jacuzzi in another town here in California several years ago, which I had a professional do the wiring. He did not have any type of separate emergency shut off or GFCI panel near the jacuzzi. The wires went directly from the homes load center, through the attic and to the jacuzzi. But everything that I have read recently has made it seem like a GFCI panel is required at least 5 feet from the jacuzzi, and no more that 10 feet. Is this accurate, or will a standard circuit breaker in my load center of the home be sufficient?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Jason
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 06:55 PM

You said in your title 240 volts but later said 220, its most likely 240 and there should be a switch so don't call that guy again. Call your local building inspector and ask for his spacing requirements for the GFCI. There are several version out there made specifically for your situation. GE 50 Amp Spa Panel with GFI - UG412RMW250P at The Home Depot
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Jan 30, 2010, 07:00 PM

240 / 220, doesn't matter. Both are the same, and the numbers are used interchangeably.

The "disconnect" IS required! It may have not been back them, or may have been overlooked. It is a major safely concern and should NOT be overlooked this time around. It is simply a "disconnect", and can be a circuit breaker, a GFCI breaker, or a simple "pull-out" disconnect. Anything that completely separates the power from the spa, more than 5' away and in visual sight from the spa.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 09:12 AM

"240 / 220, doesn't matter. Both are the same" this is not accurate. While many fixtures will operate on either it doesn't mean they are the same. Sometimes folk say 220 and it helps us figure what counrty they are in. North America switched from 110 and 220 to 120 and 240 many years ago, there is a difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

240 Volt 3 Wire Service to 4-Wire Receptical [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing an electrical stove with a new electrical range. The old stove was hard wired with a 3-wire service. I assume 2 hot and a ground). The new range requires a 4-wire receptical (I assume 2 hot, neutral & ground). Can I wire the 3-wire service to the 4-wire receptical? (How do I do...

Black wire red wire and white wire spliced to 10/3 on a 220 circuit [ 25 Answers ]

I have installed a disconnect between my dryer receptable and a tanning bed. I want to splice the 10/3 box wire to the existing 220 wiring at the dryer. Dryer= red, black, white and bare ground wires 10/3 wire= black, white, and bare ground How do I splice these to allow the disconnect box to...

2 wire 240 connect to 3 wire 120/240 [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of hooking up a new Electric Range. It has a three wire connector terminal block ). My existing wiring is 1970's vintage alum, but inspected and in good condition. The existing wire in 8 gauge two wire (black and white) plus ground. Do I have to run a new wire all the...

240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?

How to wire a 240 outlet ? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have what I thought a simple project.. ok I have a 5K watt generator that has a 240 v outlet.. I want to connect my 240 v arc welder to it.. only problem is that the plugs are different.. I already have the proper plugs to adapt the connection.. I made a one foot adapter ( pig tail )... my...

View more questions Search