Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m_mitchell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2004, 12:13 PM
    PH and chlorine
    Does a high concentration of chlorine lower the pH? How about 200 ppm of chlorine?
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2005, 10:44 PM
    Using chlorine in a spa will tend to drop the pH requiring frequent adjustment. I switched to a Copper system that works great... it is called pristine blue.
    Robnjr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2005, 11:38 AM
    200 PPM chlorine?? Wow, normal is 1-3. 200 is going to cause equipment damage if left that high for a long time. And I sure wouldn’t go in water with such high chlorine!
    Chlorine forms HCL (hydrochloric acid) when mixed with water, so it will lower your pH, especially at 200 PPM!

I recommend a UniClor or similar chlorine generator system if you have a pool: I’ve has one now for 10 years, and people can’t believe there’s chlorine in the water. I keep the PPM at 1, since its PURE gas chlorine, it’s very reactive, and little is needed. And the only other chemicals you need are salt, acid, baking soda, and stabilizer, and shock (done only twice a year): total “chemical” costs per year on a 25000 gallon pool: less than $75….
    jameel860 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 14, 2011, 10:07 PM
    the chlorine pH is 11.7 this lead to increase your pH value of your solution. And if you have a container having 200 ppm chlorine you need protected metal container that will not react with your solution.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Nov 16, 2011, 06:51 PM
    First of all chlorine and any metal does not mix to well and if you use chlorine and are using any products that are copper based it will eventually begin to discolor your spar as well as build up scale on your equipment and plumbing. It depends on what type for chlorine you are using i.e. cal hypo or potassium monpersulfate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chlorine for pools? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pool at home and I having trouble keeping the costs down and I don't think I can afford it! Is there a way to alter the pH and chlorine levels cheaper than buying those expensive branded chemicals?

View more questions Search