Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edinthechi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 05:14 PM
    Taxes on sending money abroad
    One of my family members abroad needs some short term liquidity. We're thinking I send money over, which they would give back in a few months and within a year.

Do I have to charge interest on this even though it is so short (3-6 months)? Would I have to pay any sort of taxes if there is no interest?

I know there's a gift tax exemption on about 12K USD and this applies to any "gift" interest (interest I don't charge below market rate interest), but I don't know if this applies to my situation.

Does anyone know where I can find this on the IRS website? I've been looking, but it's pretty hard to peruse past the gift tax part.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 05:49 PM
    Don't forget to take into consideration bank to bank wire fees, and exhange fees. They can be considerable. That is over and above any taxes at either end... and coming back you have the same issues yet again.

And there is no way to avoid that part, Gift or not. And you do have to declare currency over a certain amount.

I can't comment on the actual taxes due as I've never moved ammounts that large. Local laws at the other end play into this don't forget. You didn't mention which country.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 02:29 PM
    A loan is a LOAN, and a gift is a GIFT! If you send the money as a loan and charge interest, put it in writing and, if the IRS asks about it, show them the promissary note. Just be sure to pay taxes on the interest.

The issues about wiring fees are valid, but the U.S. government does NOT charge taxes on wire transfers.

Other countries, different story!
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    A loan is a LOAN, and a gift is a GIFT! If you send the money as a loan and charge interest, put it in writing and, if the IRS asks about it, show them the promissary note. Just be sure to pay taxes on the interest.

The issues about wiring fees are valid, but the U.S. government does NOT charge taxes on wire transfers.

Other countries, different story!
    You have ot declare monitary instruments in excess of $10,000 leaving or entering the USA to customs... movements as low as $2,500 trigger banking notifications... over $5,000 different banking regulations notifying the government. Doesn't matter if it's a loan or between your own accounts. Or you bring the wrath and scruteny of big brother (the Feds, Treasury Dept, DEA and IRS) down on you. That's not a pleasant place to be even if you have never, ever done anything the slightest bit wrong... (and who hasn't at some point).

It can cost over 20% of the amount JUST for the bank transfer between countries (fees, currency exchange, etc)... and possibly more in some places (thats a close ballpark to wire money to a Bank in Italy from the USA)

And yeah... if it's a loan make sure its in writing... etc and the interest claimed as income... The IRS will be wanting to see that more likely than not with those ammounts.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 02:49 PM

If no interest is charged on the loan and it is below US$10,000, the IRS will not deem any interest charge or deem any gift. If the no-interest loan exceeds US$10,000, then interest will be deemed and a gift will be deemed. See section 7872.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes when transferring my own money from abroad? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a permanent resident. I wanted to transfer 300k (my onw money from my bank account) from Europe to the US. I read I have to fill the form 3580. Question: will I have to pay taxes? Thanks!!

Receiving and sending money abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a limit on the amount of money one can send abroad yearly and if it affects that the money is being received by my person in my US bank account and then being sent abroad. Also, do I have to pay taxes on the amount I am receiving (money is for payment of work being...

Taxes on money transferred from abroad [ 2 Answers ]

My father, a US citizen, who has a dual citizenship and currently lives in Europe, is going to move back to the United States, and wants to wire all of his savings from the european bank account to the US bank account. The amount greatly exceeds $13,000. Does he have to pay any taxes on the money...

Husband in debt due to sending money abroad to someone. [ 1 Answers ]

Husband in debt due to sending money abroad to someone, And seems to be addicted to loans. Which I say no. But would like advice how to get out of it. With or without him. We do have kids. 20, 18 and 15 all boys. Thought they always got on with him more then me. Which is why I put up...

Do I pay taxes on inherited money from abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I might inherit money from my father who was a pakistani citizen. I am a dutch citizen, but a legal resident in the usa. I am wondering if I have to pay taxes over the amount I receive.

View more questions Search