Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rick dominguez Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 04:36 PM
    Deadbolts and locks
    I just purchased a schlage deadbolt lock-i want to rekey it to a master key,I have the rekeying kit but have never rekeyed to a master key-i have only rekeyed to 1 set of keys and now I would like to rekey my locks to a master key to avoid having to carry so many sets of keys thank you for any help provided
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 04:56 PM

Sounds like you want them Keyed Alike, NOT Mastered, Mastered is more keys. You need to have all locks be able to use the same Blank, then dissemble your lock, remove the pins, and with the key inserted, they should all be lined up with the shear line, then the other pins and springs.
    It is sometimes desirable to have a different key, say you fire a maid, locking the deadblot will keep her/him out?
    If they are keyed the same, she has the key to that lock as well.

Jan 27, 2010, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Sounds like you want them Keyed Alike, NOT Mastered, Mastered is more keys. You need to have all locks be able to use the same Blank, then dissemble your lock, remove the pins, and with the key inserted, they should all be lined up with the shear line, then the other pins and springs.
    It is sometimes desireable to have a different key, say you fire a maid, locking the deadblot will keep her/him out?
    If they are keyed the same, she has the key to that lock as well.
    I have 5 sets of deadbolts, all use a different key for the resident-i have a key that fits all these locks-i just purchased another lock and would like to key it to also fit my key along with the key came in the box help
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 06:45 PM

So you want the 6 locks to have their own key Plus 1 Master Key for all?

Jan 27, 2010, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    So you want the 6 locks to have their own key Plus 1 Master Key for all?
    Yes -that is what I wish for it to do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Automatic locks [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to disable the automatic locks in a 2003 nissan frontier? Also I have an anoying coolent smell only coming from the outside of the truck. I've had it to the mechanics and they could not figure it out. Any suggestions?

Windows and locks [ 1 Answers ]

1. Could you simply define what a lock threshold is ? Explanation in my apt search I want to make sure that the locks operate properly without loose or missing thresholds. Could you tell me what to look for (simply)! 2. what is a double cylinder lock? 3. what is a deadbolt lock with a saw...

Car locks [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ford excursion in which the door locks do not function well. When I push the button on my remote key pad, maybe 2 doors will lock and the rest will not. Or I push the master lock on the driver door and the samething will happen. Is there a battery or something that requires replacement?...

View more questions Search